Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this will help out the owners of the Karma with future and present problems . I mentioned a private company was in the works and this is the first step . They will provide support in all the areas of the Karma hopefully from software development to parts support . At this point I'm not personally involved with this company but in time I might be .

https://www.hybridsupportsolutions.com/

·
Registered
859 Posts
$4K/year to assist you in finding repair info, a service technician and parts - all of which is at additional cost. I think that sums it up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
$4K/year to assist you in finding repair info, a service technician and parts - all of which is at additional cost. I think that sums it up.
My sentiments exactly.

A PM to Harleyguy or Lormax is free and I'd much rather reward them directly if/when the time comes that I need their help.

Besides, it's way too early to fork over $4k when we don't even know what will actually become of FA and our warranties.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Relevant to this discussion is this article, which isn't pleasant to read but more objective than PrivCo's version of the story:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/gigaom/articles/2013_04_17_a_look_under_the_hood_why_electric_car_startup_fisker_crashed_and_burned.html

The good news, although there isn't much, is that Fisker used some of the $1.2b to advance purchase 15,000 custom parts. The article doesn't say what or where these parts are, but references "numerous sources." The other piece of good news - at least to me - is that Fisker built much of the Karma from suppliers who retain the rights to their parts. (Quantum, for example.) That means the D.O.E. or other debtors shouldn't be able to lay claim to them in BK since they aren't Fisker's IP. Anyway, that's how I read it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Relevant to this discussion is this article, which isn't pleasant to read but more objective than PrivCo's version of the story:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/gigaom/articles/2013_04_17_a_look_under_the_hood_why_electric_car_startup_fisker_crashed_and_burned.html

The good news, although there isn't much, is that Fisker used some of the $1.2b to advance purchase 15,000 custom parts. The article doesn't say what or where these parts are, but references "numerous sources." The other piece of good news - at least to me - is that Fisker built much of the Karma from suppliers who retain the rights to their parts. (Quantum, for example.) That means the D.O.E. or other debtors shouldn't be able to lay claim to them in BK since they aren't Fisker's IP. Anyway, that's how I read it.
I think Fisker does indeed have a significant amount of IP

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/re...uery_txt=fisker+automotive&submit=&patents=on

Shoddy reporting by CNN imo. This is publicly available information.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully a lot of these gray areas will come to light in the next few weeks . I would assume at some point the parts that Fisker has on hand will be released as far what they have on hand .

·
Registered
859 Posts
Fisker used its tooling and other IP as collateral for the ATVM loan. The more the merrier for a potential buyer.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hopefully a lot of these gray areas will come to light in the next few weeks . I would assume at some point the parts that Fisker has on hand will be released as far what they have on hand .
From the A123 settlement we do know that Fisker got 160 batteries in 11/2012 and Fisker started to ship these as replacements (at the latest) in March of this year. We also know that A123/B456 stopped producing these batteries after Nov/2012 so there is a finite amount of batteries in circulation. Using this rough timeline it would seem that Fisker Automotive really does not have many batteries available and surely has less than 160 new batteries on hand.

Rebuilding the old defective batteries is probably job 1. This is by far the most complex and most difficult part of the vehicle. Everything else can be rebuilt or replaced without much ado.

From what I understand the batteries were not in the normal parts "supply chain" of Fisker parts. They went from Livonia->Westland->Dealer

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the A123 settlement we do know that Fisker got 160 batteries in 11/2012 and Fisker started to ship these as replacements (at the latest) in March of this year. We also know that A123/B456 stopped producing these batteries after Nov/2012 so there is a finite amount of batteries in circulation. Using this rough timeline it would seem that Fisker Automotive really does not have many batteries available and surely has less than 160 new batteries on hand.

Rebuilding the old defective batteries is probably job 1. This is by far the most complex and most difficult part of the vehicle. Everything else can be rebuilt or replaced without much ado.

From what I understand the batteries were not in the normal parts "supply chain" of Fisker parts. They went from Livonia->Westland->Dealer
You are correct but I don't think A123 was actually refurbishing the batteries I'am pretty sure they were a total loose with the exception of the case and some modules inside the batteries . I got to work with a field tech who flew to my dealership to do a repair on a battery we had that was serviceable .

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow, $4k for 15 months.

They need to supply a better idea of who they are, what they are offering and what guarantee they can offer that they can source needed parts/support.

What happens if someone buys into their service and needs a battery? Will they be able to source one? If not, do they refund your $4k?

I don't see a value for that price. But maybe I'm not understanding something.

Bill

·
Registered
859 Posts
Wow, $4k for 15 months.

They need to supply a better idea of who they are, what they are offering and what guarantee they can offer that they can source needed parts/support.

What happens if someone buys into their service and needs a battery? Will they be able to source one? If not, do they refund your $4k?

I don't see a value for that price. But maybe I'm not understanding something.

Bill
You can email your question to: [email protected]

Let us know.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Thanks for keeping us informed Harleyguy. Like others I'm not sure I understand the cost/benefit, but surely that will evolve. For some of us, not really car buffs but just Karma owners, sourcing parts may be more difficult than for others. Having a source for parts and help will go a long way to helping keep our Karmas on the road.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks for keeping us informed Harleyguy. Like others I'm not sure I understand the cost/benefit, but surely that will evolve. For some of us, not really car buffs but just Karma owners, sourcing parts may be more difficult than for others. Having a source for parts and help will go a long way to helping keep our Karmas on the road.
I agree. I don't know anything about this company, but it looks it's trying to provide an unmet need. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well of right now it's offering more then Fisker can i assume the next thing for them is to raise money for operating cost . Then contact vendors and start securing parts .

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
This could prove to be a very valuable service and well worth the annual fee but that depends on what happens to FA post-BK. I think it is best to wait and see what the next couple of weeks bring. There is no reason to rush to judgment one way or another. Let's see where we are when the shoe drops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts