Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with tire replacement. Yokohama Parada Spec-X front tires (255/35 R22) are not available and are on national back order. Not sure when they will be available. Rears (285/35 R22) are available. According to Discount Tire, I can get the Parada Spec-X front tire in a 265/35 R22. Has anyone run this 265 tire? Any issues with rubbing the fender well on turns. Will the extra 10mm width be a big deal. I need to replace the tires as my F-1's are almost gone and I don't want to take any long trips until I get them replaced.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Don't know on the rub issue with the 265. The inner fender liners are pretty tight.

Check with FiskerPhilly in Cherry Hill. He may have some in stock. Also try Harley Guy. I just got mine installed. They took about 30 days to come in.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I tried 265's and they rubbed pretty bad on turns. I'm experimenting with some others. A continental 265/30 series fits and a matching 285 for rear. But I felt the 30 series profile was just a bit low profile for my liking (the potholes love it though lol)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Not to change the topic too terribly much, but I don't really see that this question deserves an entirely different thread.

I replaced my original equipment Goodyear Eagle F-1 tires with the Yokohama Parada Specs a few weeks ago. The Yokohama are SO. MUCH. LOUDER. than the Goodyear Eagles. If I am doing anything other than going in a straight line, they squeak and squeal (on the pavement) and generally make a ton of noise. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Not me, but the f1, modified for the Fisker Karma, have a much smaller surface, aka modified outer shoulder, which might reduced less sound.

I can not find it right now, but I remember @FAChassis explained the tire selection process at Fisker Automotive a few month ago, here in the forum. Try to search for tires and production and k1

·
Registered
546 Posts
Not me, but the f1, modified for the Fisker Karma, have a much smaller surface, aka modified outer shoulder, which might reduced less sound.

I can not find it right now, but I remember @FAChassis explained the tire selection process at Fisker Automotive a few month ago, here in the forum. Try to search for tires and production and k1
Thanks, Stefan!

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
I installed the Yoko about 30 days ago. I notice right away, I could make a slow-speed turn (parking lots and drive ways), without the Karma "crabbing" sideways as it did with the F1's. Granted the Yokos are a little louder, but I didn't find it objectionable. I have the tires at the correct pressure and had nitrogen inflation. Air expands more with tire heating, thus making them louder and harder as you drive. (my tire dealer recommended since the Yoko's are more all-season tread than the F1's). You may want to consider the nitrogen inflation.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I expect, that one changes from F1 to Yoko after the F1 ran almost down.

This is the hardest time for the Karma in slow turns, as it has a lot more grip, almost missing the profile. That's why F1 racing cars don't have any profile on non rain tires.

So, I really expect any new tire to do the slow turns much more comfortable.... F1 as well as new Yokos...

Just a guess...

This also might apply to the more noticeable sound, as this also comes with the profile.

But in fact:
Goodyear eagle F1: 71db
Yokohama Prada Spec X: 74db
(both 285/35 r22)

So you are right ;-)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm reading this because, alas, I must buy new tires ASAP. I'm stranded until some come in :'-(

But just because I have a background in audio, I thought it might interest anyone to know that 3dB is technically twice as loud. So going from 71 to 74 means that the Yoko's are twice as loud as the GY's.

Which sucks for me, because I really should buy all weather tires for my area. Double :'-(

·
Registered
829 Posts
Quote from @KARMANEWS on their site:

Hello JCMorrill, We're getting 3,000 tires in from Goodyear next month (2012's) and we have started to receive the first batch of 2015's also. Tires are available from us, and the CSP's can order them.

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
The selling price depends on dealer markup I can tell you I've been buying the Good Years from Fisker for the last few months.They cost me less then the local supplier which means I can sell them less also. I just bought another three sets

·
Registered
334 Posts
@Harleyguy - are the new Goodyear tires from KA actually newly built tires or "new tires" built by Goodyear in 2012?

·
Registered
304 Posts
NItrogen

I've always wondered about Nitrogen filled tires......

In 2006, Consumer Reports conducted a year-long study to determine how much air loss was experienced in tires filled with nitrogen versus those filled with air. The results showed that nitrogen did reduce pressure loss over time, but it was only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires. Nitrogen won the test, but not by a significant margin.

The air we breathe is made up of 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen and a few other elements. To get the desired benefits for tires, nitrogen needs to be at least 93 percent pure, according to nitrogen service equipment providers quoted on Tirerack.com. So we're basically talking about adding an extra 15 percent of nitrogen and getting rid of as much oxygen as possible.

Lastly - Costco will inflate any member's tires with Nitrogen for free regardless of where purchased...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've always wondered about Nitrogen filled tires......

In 2006, Consumer Reports conducted a year-long study to determine how much air loss was experienced in tires filled with nitrogen versus those filled with air. The results showed that nitrogen did reduce pressure loss over time, but it was only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires. Nitrogen won the test, but not by a significant margin.

The air we breathe is made up of 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen and a few other elements. To get the desired benefits for tires, nitrogen needs to be at least 93 percent pure, according to nitrogen service equipment providers quoted on Tirerack.com. So we're basically talking about adding an extra 15 percent of nitrogen and getting rid of as much oxygen as possible.

Lastly - Costco will inflate any member's tires with Nitrogen for free regardless of where purchased...
Txs DDH. Good info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just mounted a set of 265/35/22 Michelin pilot sports up front and can confirm the rub on turns is bad.

Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the inner fenders to avoid the rub? Aside from getting another set of tires? :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts