Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the film installed on my car all the way up the hood to the doors.

Here are the pics:

http://www.xpel.com/installations/viewrelease.asp?id=91

bdo

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Thanks for posting this! Is xpel the same product as the 3M film? Does one just let the dealer make arrangements for getting protective film installed, or should I shop and look for the most qualified installer? Or even the best product?

I'm in the Seattle area, so your San Antonio dealer isn't an option. I'm a neophite to the cool car arena....thanks for your help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did some research and all films are not equal. These guys have an "ultimate" version that "heals itself". Whether or not that is true, is yet to be seen . Youtube their videos to see how it works. They were local to me, the worldwide dealer and trainers for the installation so I went with them.

I will say that the salesperson and the installers (the worldwide trainers) said this car was harder than most because of the huge front bumper. So I wouldnt get just 'some guy' to do it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thank you for the wonderful photos. What is the warranty on this? Will it yellow over time? I have a white Karma, and it would look bad if it turns yellow with prolonged UV exposure.

·
Registered
145 Posts
bigdaddyo811 said:

Here are the pics:

bdo
I noticed you have Eclipse/Black. I have seen 2 installers in my area. One uses the Xpel product. I still have to check with the other whether they use 3M or Xpel. I like the self healing concept of the Xpel. They put a small piece on the fender of my car, I also have eclipse/black. They then put some minor swirls in it and heated it with a heat gun and the swirls disappeared! I wish my dealer had told me about these systems when I picked up the car. I drove it for 2 weeks and saw a ton of small chips , into the paint on the back of the rear doors and on the fenders in front of the rear wheels! I am having the "shark fin" piece put on the rear door. Not happy about it but i think it is necessary

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
bigdaddyo811 said:

Here are the pics:

bdo
WOW THANK YOU!!!!! I just looked at the Xpel link and Pic's of your car. Awesome car! I think it would be in everyones best interest to go to Xpel.com. click on the bulk materials choice to the right. Scroll down to the next to last paragraph to their flagship film and click again. Scroll down again until you see three video's. The first video shows the film being scratched up with a brass wire brush. Next the tech pours hot water on the film and ALL SCRATCHES ARE GONE!! HEALED!! The second video depicts Self Healing (i.e. no water ) Same brass brush treatment no water just a clock in the background. THE DAMN FILM HEALS ITSELF BEFORE YOUR EYES!!! I cancelled solar guard and 3m samples immediately.

·
Registered
913 Posts
MArkansas said:
... The first video shows the film being scratched up with a brass wire brush. Next the tech pours hot water on the film and ALL SCRATCHES ARE GONE!! HEALED!! The second video depicts Self Healing (i.e. no water ) Same brass brush treatment no water just a clock in the background. THE DAMN FILM HEALS ITSELF BEFORE YOUR EYES!!! I cancelled solar guard and 3m samples immediately.
That's pretty cool, for sure :D Still, the 3M "clear bra" plastic is evolved from a protective film for helicopter blades, which has gone through some quite tough time-testing. I don't know how this new stuff stands up over long periods (years) with UV sunlight, etc.

We'll know in a decade which one is (or was) the better product :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at all of them and there is a purported difference. They say the xpel is the best product in that it has evolved into doing just this. They own all the patterns and are custom for the car. The videos are impressive. The one caveat is that I think it is harder to install then the other films (at least thats what they told me). I would take pictures of my car for you guys to see but truthfully, you cant see this stuff AT ALL. The pictures would be useless. They warranty their stuff.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
ct-fiskerbuzz said:
MArkansas said:
... The first video shows the film being scratched up with a brass wire brush. Next the tech pours hot water on the film and ALL SCRATCHES ARE GONE!! HEALED!! The second video depicts Self Healing (i.e. no water ) Same brass brush treatment no water just a clock in the background. THE DAMN FILM HEALS ITSELF BEFORE YOUR EYES!!! I cancelled solar guard and 3m samples immediately.
That's pretty cool, for sure :D Still, the 3M "clear bra" plastic is evolved from a protective film for helicopter blades, which has gone through some quite tough time-testing. I don't know how this new stuff stands up over long periods (years) with UV sunlight, etc.

Damn it more research now. Xpel has 10 year warranty covering everything, material and labor cost.

[hr]
MArkansas said:
ct-fiskerbuzz said:
MArkansas said:

Damn it more research now. Xpel has 10 year warranty covering everything, material and labor cost.
Is 3M self healing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
bigdaddyo811 said:

Here are the pics:

bdo
What were you charged for this complete installation?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the videos of the xpel film. The self healing part works well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUqzFvRw4-A&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Se11LSRnKA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdT1gzpQlhE&feature=player_embedded

The first one shows it the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts