Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of negative press about the Karma and feel obliged to jump in.

I've owned my Karma for over 9 months and I love the car.

Why? Several reasons:
1. I've been to the gas station ONCE in 10 months...and it's not because I had to; it was because I didn't like seeing the tank anything but 100% full.

2. I have four cars - a GL, a Rolls Royce Ghost, a Ferrari 458 Spider, and the Karma. I drive the Karma way more than any of my other cars. It's practical, it handles well, and it looks great.

3. If you've ever driven the car, you'd know that the interior of the car is superior to most luxury cars like the Mercedes, BMW, and even a Ferrari. This is a $100k car from a young U.S. company that drives BETTER than decade-old multi-billion dollar foreign cars. Give them some credit, get off their back, and let them get to work!

Most people that review the Karma just don't get it.
A. We are not comparing the Karma to the Prius. We care about styling and comfort and WE DON'T MIND PAYING MORE THAN THE PRIUS OR THE VOLT!

B. I believe most Karma owners have multiple cars. We are fine being a bit ahead of the times and grow with Fisker (and live with the issues). It's like being the first group of people to own a smartphone. Were they perfect from the beginning? Of course not. But we enjoy the fact that we don't have to go to the gas station and we know we're not burning gas....and there's not a price tag you can put on it.

So - my question to the real Karma owners - what other cars do you own and is the Karma your most frequent ride?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good point Avista! We love our Karmas. I think the majority of Karma owners have 2-3 other cars, but certainly not everyone. The nice thing is that the Karma can in fact be your only car - due to its functionality, space, comfort, and lack of "range anxiety".

Like you, I drive my Karma more than my other 7 cars, mainly because it is quiet, beautiful, unusual, and most of all, just a joy to drive. The other cars in the garage get less exercise these days because of the Karma. I drive about 12,000 miles a year and the Karma has done 4500 in 10 months, so it is getting about half my miles. The other 7 cars (Aston Martin, 2 Porsches, Infiniti, Corvette, Datsun, and the Fisker Latigo), split the other half, with the Aston getting the next biggest chunk of miles.

My wife said one day: "That must be a really slow car".
"Why", I ask...
"Because any time you go somewhere, you come home 30 minutes late..." she replies.

Which underscores the biggest issue with the Karma - I'm always late because people stop me to chat about the car!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm probably unusual here because ... Well: (A) I do care some, but not necessarily enough to pay that much more for the Karma than for the Volt—one reason I bought the Karma was that GM refused to sell the Volt here for so long (although I probably could have gotten one by the time my Karma was delivered :D). (B) I only have one other car, the old one I had before the Karma got here. I'm keeping it because it has some capabilities the Karma does not (more cargo space, more ground clearance, all-wheel drive) that I expect to continue to need occasionally, and it's cheap to keep up the spare car at this point.

·
Registered
996 Posts
As a long time Tesla owner, I am completely envious of the Karma's interior/exterior. It is one of the sexiest cars that has ever existed.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
@avista you said it all! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I have a Mercedes and an Infinity, it was the combination of EVer technology, fantastic interior (and yes, fabulous looks) that got me to spend a little more for my daily ride. I use the Karma every time I drive, and unfortunately, my spouse now prefers the Karma. It is doubly our favorite ride.

Unlike the reviewers, we own a Fisker, and based on our experience, will probably buy another. Although we don't collect cars, we don't like to share them either. Hurry up with that Atlantic Henrick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want to add that some people might read this thread and complain about a DOE loan that benefits the top 1%. The reality is, I would argue we are subsidizing the development of this car for the general public. The government is absolutely doing the right thing supporting an industry that no private enterprise without massive support could enter without losing their shirts.

The Karma is the path to future models that could benefit he general public. All things are expensive when they first come out; think personal computers in the 80s and flat panel TVs in the last decade. They were all expensive at first and the early adopters paid a premium for those products. And with early adoption came opportunities for companies to learn, scale their product lines, and drive prices down for the general public.

So yes, the Karma is a fantastic car, and those who have the means to afford one should give it serious consideration.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Every car owner has his or her preferences. I drive my Karma more than either of my Audi's (which I consider the best of what German Luxury has to offer). I am sure that BMW and Mercedes owners may challenge my preference, which makes the point. In the luxury segment, it is preferences that creates brand-loyalty. For me, the Karma draws much more attention than my "Saloon Car" Audi A8L. It has a different purpose than my SUV. The Karma is more environmentally responsible than either of these. So I drive the Karma more for these reasons. I recall one of the reviews where it was said: "what does it matter that the wood is reclaimed, one tree can provide the wood for all the manufactured Karma’s". That writer didn't get it! It wasn't how much wood, it was what kind of recycled wood is used... it was simply that the wood IS RECYCLED and the environmental statement this makes. The environmental statement continues with the water-based paints, the environmentally responsible processes to treat the leather, the regenerative brakes, the solar panel on the roof all resulting in use of lower emissions for commuting and lower impact to the environment. All of this packaged in an truly unique vehicle that shows that "environmentally sensitive" doesn't have to the boring.

The Karma does not meet the preferences of everyone. I would suggest that those doing mundane assessments of cost/benefits between the Karma, Prius or a gasoline engine sedan simply don't get it, and never will. Some may recall the similar arguments for continuing the smoke stack industries of the past.

With ice caps melting, sea levels and temperatures rising, 100 year storms occurring every 3 years, these pundants should do their cost/benefit assessments focused on the dangers of being a preverbal "environmental Ostrich."

Kudos' to Volt, Prius, Leaf and especially Karma for blazing the path, and forging a whole NEW SET OF PREFERENCES!!

·
Fisker Driver
79 Posts
There's no other car!

As an owner and driver of a Karma for 6 months and 6,000 miles, I can say without reservation; it's been the best experience of any car I've owned or care to. I still feel like i'm driving an amusement ride and I drive it daily. I've taken it on several hundred + mile drives and it behaves wonderfully. I still can't get over the truly spectacular looks and am addicted to the feel of the electric drive train. Keep it up Fisker. And, when can I get a convertible?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just want to add that some people might read this thread and complain about a DOE loan that benefits the top 1%. The reality is, I would argue we are subsidizing the development of this car for the general public. The government is absolutely doing the right thing supporting an industry that no private enterprise without massive support could enter without losing their shirts.

The Karma is the path to future models that could benefit he general public. All things are expensive when they first come out; think personal computers in the 80s and flat panel TVs in the last decade. They were all expensive at first and the early adopters paid a premium for those products. And with early adoption came opportunities for companies to learn, scale their product lines, and drive prices down for the general public.

So yes, the Karma is a fantastic car, and those who have the means to afford one should give it serious consideration.
I want to add another angle on the negative DOE issue. In Ca, I paid a little over $20k in taxes when I bought my ecosport, and suppose I will get back $7.5 in tax credit next tax season.... Gov't keeps 13k per car, so about $13,000,000 back so far into Gov't pocket. Keep selling them.

Forget the DOE loan for a minute and recall the tax write off for business owners to buy "work trucks". Detroit sold a lot of escalades, denalis, hummers, etc. to business owners for "work trucks" (this was after 9-11). Liteally, my accountant reminded me, hey, you drive to the airport for work, forget the fuel efficient alternative, buy something over 6500 gross vehicle weight rating and you can write off a big chunk of it. And I did. That wasn't even a loan with any chance of payback. It was a huge subsidy for Gas guzzling SUVs.

If i drive my fisker long enough, maybe i'll make up for the tax policy encouraged 14mpg i was getting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts