Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I want to change the oil on my fisker but don't know where the oil filter is on the fisker can anyone help please. And also what oil should I use and how many quarts of it? Can I do an oil change at home by my self on a fisker? Any Pictures would help out.

Thanks

·
Registered
859 Posts
This is a common question. Simply Google on "Karma Oil Change." Yes, it does require a special tool to remove the filter, but any good service station should have it since it's a GM engine.

You can do it yourself, but it cost me only $67 last month at 5000 miles (including the fluid and safety inspections.) To do all of this properly yourself, you'll need a hoist.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
i did this last week right in my garage, no special tools. i lifted the car with a standard floor jack on the drivers side and used a stand. the oil drain is 15 mm and it is on the passenger side of the motor and is easy to reach. The oil filter is the same as a saturn sky 2010 or 11. This filter is paper and is on the drivers side of the motor yet on top. I removed the cross brace with a 45 torx and the filter sits below a black plastic cap the uses an 1 1/4" socket with swivel to remove. There is a video on You-tube for the soltice oil change if that helps. be sure to replace the o-ring seals that come with the filter and do not over tighten. You will know when its tight since it will just stop turning yet will feel snug as your are tightening up until that point. i used 5w-30 Mobil 1 and it takes 5 quarts that you can get in a single jug at walmart.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
The inspection and oil change cost me about $400 at Palm Beach Motors... Said they needed to replace an o-ring as well. I'll try Fisker Miami next time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i did this last week right in my garage, no special tools. i lifted the car with a standard floor jack on the drivers side and used a stand. the oil drain is 15 mm and it is on the passenger side of the motor and is easy to reach. The oil filter is the same as a saturn sky 2010 or 11. This filter is paper and is on the drivers side of the motor yet on top. I removed the cross brace with a 45 torx and the filter sits below a black plastic cap the uses an 1 1/4" socket with swivel to remove. There is a video on You-tube for the soltice oil change if that helps. be sure to replace the o-ring seals that come with the filter and do not over tighten. You will know when its tight since it will just stop turning yet will feel snug as your are tightening up until that point. i used 5w-30 Mobil 1 and it takes 5 quarts that you can get in a single jug at walmart.
I really wonder how you changed the oil filter.......? It took me 3 attempts, and if it were not for your post, I would have just given up - cut a long story short, there is no way in he$$ to remove the filter as they show on youtube for the Saturn or Pontiac Ecotec engine, its physically impossible to take that cap out - after removing the cap, all I could do is to swivel the cap in the cavity below the cables and hoses, pull the old filter out and push the new filter in. No way a Jiffy Lube store will change this filter without mucking something up......

To add insult to injury, the filter I removed looked like new :mad: - actually, this is the better one :p as I am happy to know my engine was fed properly filtered oil.

The filter is a AC Delco PF457G

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I am old enough to remember the days when you did not change the oil filter with every oil change. The downside was that a small quantity of old used oil in the filter would blend in with the fresh oil you were putting in, but that never seemed to cause any damage and it made the oil change cheaper and faster. With modern engines, oils, and filters, I would think you can skip the filter change for a few oil change cycles without any harm.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why on earth would you want to do that, when the filter is readily available and cheap? How much is your engine worth?

NAPA properly lists the filter for the Karma, so any idiot can look it up by application, forget having to tell them it's for a Solstice or whatever (you have me to thank for that). I sell the NAPA Gold filter for $7.69, cheaper alternatives are available too. All are made by WIX Filters. Part number 7082.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
One of the reason the engine oil filter is hard to get to is the cross brace i remove it every time i replace the filter .Another reason is the engine in the Karma is mounted inline and in the GM cars the engine is transverse.

·
Registered
79 Posts
One of the reason the engine oil filter is hard to get to is the cross brace i remove it every time i replace the filter .Another reason is the engine in the Karma is mounted inline and in the GM cars the engine is transverse.
I actually removed all the braces, made no difference - are you saying you can take the filter and cap out?

Not that I plan on changing it anytime soon, I agree with Fab, most of us have little need to change the filter, assuming we use synthetic oil, and most of the driving is electric, a 12 months interval is plenty protection.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I have no problem either way removing the cap off the filter while the filter is still in the canister or removing the filter while it's still attached to the cap . I did three services today so it's second nature to me now . Like everything else on the Karma do it enough times you learn a new trick each time you work on them . But that really goes for any cars I work on

·
320 Posts
The inspection and oil change cost me about $400 at Palm Beach Motors... Said they needed to replace an o-ring as well. I'll try Fisker Miami next time.
I recommend going to Fisker Miami if you live in South Florida. Not only does @Harleyguy handle the oil change, but he does far more during his service, including inspections and diagnostics. He answers all your questions on the spot. It's worth the extra cost. I feel reassured and it's always better for resale value when you can document dealership service. I know I would be more inclined to purchase a vehicle with a Fisker service record.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Another tip for these upright canister type filters is to always loosen the filter first which will allow the oil in the filter housing (sometimes as much as a quart) to drain down into the sump before draining the oil. This oil is trapped in the filter housing usually by a check valve that maintains oil to the top of the engine for startup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts