Fisker Buzz Forums banner

What would you tell Congress about your Fisker?

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  KY Karma 
#1 ·
With the Fisker hearing coming up in a little over a week, I think our chances of getting an offer to testify before the subcommittee is pretty slim. As an alternative, I would like to create a list of points we would make if we could appear in person and Fisker or a friendly representative would consider adding our submissions into the record.

So please post in this thread short, concise, and on-topic (strictly enforced by your humble moderator) posts about why the US Government should invest in Fisker and what are the benefits of this investment. Keep in mind that we are talking to members of Congress who could not care less what an emotionally impactful car this is, or how much attention it gets. This is about the benefits to the country and taxpayers, not the visceral beauty of the lines. I was originally going to limit this to owners, but I decided to leave the participation open because as taxpayers we all have a stake and interest in this type of investment by the government.

Feel free to put in as much identifying information you feel comfortable disclosing and let's see if we can get this in the right hands to get in front of the committee or into the record.

#3 ·
As an only part time tax payer in you country, I'd definitively point them to the idea of having a truly American innovation which rules even our German car makers....

If they break up the company, they wont get the complete loan back anyway.
If they help finding an investor, but bind this investor to build jobs in the states, using US plants, they will do their jobs! The will serve the country.

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

#4 ·
You are right, but for the reader, the goal of the loan program is to help your industry... not to support your industry to prepare good ideas and inventions to spend them for pennies to Chinese investors....
The DOE should not 'kill' the company, but help them to survive in the states....

are leaving the topic, Fab?

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

#5 ·
I would tell them to look at other innovation, in the US and elsewhere that has been government supported and has greatly benefited not only their own country but the lives of people all around the world. NASA and the Internet come to mind.

Electric powered transportation is inevitable. Fossil fuels are a depleting resource. It makes sense to be ahead of the curve, provide jobs for the innovation, be part of the creation not simply the consumers of the end product. Being part of the creation develops not only the technology, but the minds that can create. It develops for the US the most powerful resource, citizens with minds that are capable of solving the next set of country and world problems.

Lastly I'd ask our congress to step up, and think like investors, like men and women with a fiduciary responsibility for the funds the tax payer's have placed in their trust. This isn't political football, this is the very future of the country we are talking about. Electric transportation, is just one aspect. Innovation and the minds that can do so is what will set us apart. Taxpayer funds should be used for the greater good of the public, not to score political points.

#6 ·
As a Fisker owner, investor in Fisker Automotive, and tax payer, here is my opinion why public investment in Fisker, and similar companies is essential:

• U.S. Leadership in Most Advanced Automotive Technology is at Stake

Cars driven by internal combustion engines have been in use at least since Karl Benz filed for his patent in 1885. Electric-powered cars were commercially sold at least as far back as the Baker Electric car Co. in 1904. Fisker Karma's serial hybrid system takes the best features of both technologies and combines them seamlessly with regenerative braking to create an entirely new automotive power train. This is a tremendous advance in automotive technology that was created by an American company in the US and led to a real commercial product. it would a waste and a lost opportunity for the US to cede leadership in such a pivotal technology to others by failing to invest in, and support the development of this technology.

• Public Investment Has Supported Every Major Technological Advance in US HIstory

Every major technological advancement, including railroads, aviation, air travel, semiconductor and computer technology, radio and television, oil and gas exploration and extraction, automobiles, and communication to name a few, have benefited from public sector support through direct investment, tax subsidies, preferential regulation, and purchase of products and services by Federal and US Governments. The technologies developed as a result of this support benefits all US citizens and tax payers through the availability of new products and services that otherwise would not have been available.

• Some Investments Fail but the Technology Lives On Benefiting Everyone

This is a very important point in this discussion. Not every company that develops new technology survives the market place, including those supported by Public Investments but the technology developed by these companies survive and benefit society. One example can be seen in the early days of the airline industry. At that time, the cost of air travel was prohibitively expensive for all but the extremely rich which made the potential customer base very small, and the US Government stepped in to support the airlines by contracting them to carry US mail. Many of the original airlines did not survive, but the support allowed the fledgling airline industry to grow and expand to what we know today.

• Supporting EV Car Companies Such as FIsker is in the National Interest

Since 1990, we have gone to war twice with Iraq, in part to protect the US strategic interests, including access to oil. The more we develop technologies that lower our dependence on Oil, the fewer Gold Star Families we create in keeping our Faustian bargain of American blood for foreign oil.

#8 ·
Not that I'm delusional enough to think they would cease their partisan bickering for two seconds in order to act in the national interest, but...

I would tell them that I'm getting 148 miles per gallon and that if that ain't national security, then I don't know what is. #NoWarForOil

#9 ·
I'd just show them this picture and ask them what else with no range anxiety I can buy to replicate this? Honestly, I'd like to know since I am in the market for another car.
And, for those that say that Fisker has no IP, please tell me why I get 275mpg with no range anxiety carrying 4 people and can't find a replacement.

Attachments

#12 ·
I looked around too. BMW i8 initially looked promising, until I discovered:

1) 22 miles battery range
2) $150K+
3) 2+2 at best (no rear doors, limited rear seating)

#13 ·
I am in the same boat as you guys. There is nothing on the market that compares to the Karma, the mpg, the 4 doors, the beautiful lines and I am getting 377 mpg. I haven't bought gas since November 2012 - I've been shooting the Turbo to it just to try to run out the gas so it doesn't get stale. I love my Karma but am worried about maintaining it on my own. Although, I didn it myself for months because there were no dealers close to me, now I have to tow it to Cincinnati, OH. I must be the only Karma in Kentucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.