Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
IMHO, Steve Jobs would be able to do what I wish I could do: buy one of each, rip out the power train of the Tesla and transplant it into the body and chassis of a Fisker Karma, combining the elegant simplicity of the Tesla drive with the beautiful design and handling of the Karma.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
IMHO, Steve Jobs would be able to do what I wish I could do: buy one of each, rip out the power train of the Tesla and transplant it into the body and chassis of a Fisker Karma, combining the elegant simplicity of the Tesla drive with the beautiful design and handling of the Karma.
Wish some enterprising Karma owners would take a shot at this ... pickup a problematic powertrained Karma and buy an S... sure all in cost would be $200K+ but it would be a pretty sweet ride!

·
Registered
996 Posts
The Tesla drive is not as elegant as you think. I would say it is marginally better than the Karma with regards to packaging. The rear sub-frame on the Karma is packaged pretty well- although everything is cast. Pulling out a subframe on a Karma is much easier, ditto for the battery.

Induction really does not make sense in a serial hybrid drive-train (extra components needed DC-AC etc). In theory it sounds good but the Tesla technology does not really mesh well with the Fisker serial hybrid concept.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
The Tesla drive is not as elegant as you think. I would say it is marginally better than the Karma with regards to packaging. The rear sub-frame on the Karma is packaged pretty well- although everything is cast. Pulling out a subframe on a Karma is much easier, ditto for the battery.

Induction really does not make sense in a serial hybrid drive-train (extra components needed DC-AC etc). In theory it sounds good but the Tesla technology does not really mesh well with the Fisker serial hybrid concept.
My dream Tisker would be a 85 KWH BEV, like the Model S, not a serial hybrid.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My dream Tisker would be a 85 KWH BEV, like the Model S, not a serial hybrid.

Where would the extra batteries go? in the engine bay?

My dream Karma would have a removable solar panel (can replace with clear glass, open, or solar) and that is about it.

You are better off buying a bottom of the barrel Model S and tinting the windows.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Where would the extra batteries go? in the engine bay?

...​

You are better off buying a bottom of the barrel Model S and tinting the windows.
It's a fantasy. Why are complicating it with details? But if you must know, I would take out the existing battery and ICE+Generator and replace it withe equivalent weight of Tesla high-capacity batteries to maintain the current fore-aft weight balance.

The Model S with tinted windows would not work because I would see the car each time I approached it to get in. I would have to get a seeing-eye dog and walk to the car with my eyes blindfolded and then reverse the process when I get to my destination, which is not very practical.

In the meantime, I will just keep driving my Karma.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
If I knew my karma would be serviced, it would be my daily drive - karma for ever :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mr. Jobs would drive a Black Eco Chic with black ECO interior AFTER he purchased FA, brought back Henrik to simply design the future FA vehicles, installed the "Apple Mini" in place of the current display with full Karma functionality and instructed his engineers to "tune" the Karma to be "capable" of mid 4s 0-60, allowed the 2013 or 14 Karma the capability to "recharge" the battery to full charge if desired while driving in Sport mode, introduced a "back-up battery" to the trunk space for added torque / HP, got rid of the "fart" when in reverse at parking lot speeds, hired Lormax and Harley guy to head up a traveling, "genius bar" for Karma owners AND had a PR team in place creating a marketing campaign around the passion and enthusiasm of the current and future EVer owners... Other than that, I haven't given it much thought... God rest his soul...

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
I have driven a friend's SL55 for the weekend... I think the question was Tesla or Karma? Appreciate your opinion however...
I guess I was confused by what you were calling a small car...

My original point was since Jobs drove a convertible, he would have preferred the "convertible Karma" known as the Fisker Sunset.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I guess I was confused by what you were calling a small car...

My original point was since Jobs drove a convertible, he would have preferred the "convertible Karma" known as the Fisker Sunset.

My sincerest apologies Dennis... I was thinking SLK350... Duh! I get you. Two glasses of wine and I am no good to anyone! YES! You are right... The Sunset. Me too please. What a beautiful concept car... Oh well... Hope springs eternal!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Fab, I went ahead and fixed that for ya! :D
I don't understand; is there an actual Fisker Sunset that works as a car? I thought the one working prototype had stopped working and was only usable as a piece of art. :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts