Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooner or later there will be no new Karmas for sale. Even if someone buys the assets of FA and resumes production of the Karma, it won’t be for many months. As I’ve posted under the “For Sale” thread, the 8 dealers I sampled on the East and West Coast - one week apart - are down from 52 new Karmas to 42. I don’t know how many Fisker Dealerships remain, but it’s likely that their new Karma inventory is dwindling as well. Customers are still buying these cars at a pretty good clip.

Why? Take your pick: People want to own a beautiful car and don’t know or care about company’s problems. Or collectors are buying them. Or they want a discounted, new luxury car that comes with a tax credit and is financed under historically low rates. Or they’ve purchased other vehicles from the dealer and have a measure of confidence that the dealer will do whatever they can to take of them. Or why you might want a new Karma if you didn’t already own one.

The point is: What will Fisker Dealerships do when they have no more new inventory. Sell used Fiskers? Take down the Fisker sign and put a Volvo sign? Anyone have any thoughts? :huh:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
What could I realistically replace my Karma with? Please, don't hold back. All suggestions are welcome. I sold 2 cars (Mercedes and Lamborghini) because the only car I wanted to drive was my Karma. I am now in the market for another car as I have to prepare for possibly needing another car in a pinch. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well, the Fisker dealer in Santa Monica (probably one of the highest volume dealerships) has already moved on to selling VWs. The Fisker sign is still up but my guess is it won't be for long.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
What could I realistically replace my Karma with? Please, don't hold back. All suggestions are welcome. I sold 2 cars (Mercedes and Lamborghini) because the only car I wanted to drive was my Karma. I am now in the market for another car as I have to prepare for possibly needing another car in a pinch. Any suggestions?
BMW i8? I know it is not available yet but it might be worth waiting for.

http://www.bmw-i.com/en_ww/bmw-i8/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i8

·
Registered
996 Posts
BMW i8? I know it is not available yet but it might be worth waiting for.

http://www.bmw-i.com/en_ww/bmw-i8/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i8
I wonder if they will mostly use A123 packs like the Active Hybrid line currently does.

Nissan GT-R

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I went into Fisker of Orange County today, and they have 1 Karma left. They will close the doors after the Karma is sold. It looks doubtful that they will service them anymore; they too are owed big money from corporate.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
As the technician at Fisker of OC, I'm sure that I'll still be employed, taking care of Karmas. In fact I have a meeting tomorrow for just that.

Unfortunately there won't be a warranty, but that's out of my hands. PM me anytime.

·
Registered
546 Posts
As the technician at Fisker of OC, I'm sure that I'll still be employed, taking care of Karmas. In fact I have a meeting tomorrow for just that.

Unfortunately there won't be a warranty, but that's out of my hands. PM me anytime.
Lormax, I am *really* glad--both for our sake and yours--to know you'll still have a job servicing Karmas!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sorry Smooth, but the GT-R is in my opinion ugly. But, I appreciate the suggestion. :s
Ok fine then do this...

Once something major in your Karma fails (i.e. traction motors/generator, battery, diff etc) pull out the EV stuff and put in a conventional drivetrain. I plan on doing this with one of my Karma's (battery destined to fail as it was an early build- I could probably find another battery but I think it would be more fun to build the Karma as a pure ICE). Should be relatively cheap to have a custom rear end and driveshaft built. Crate motors are cheap too (although you may have to have some custom work done for the engine to clear the Karma's hood). Once Karma's hit $20-$30k (probably broken) I think its a no-brainer. A Karma with no computers would be awesome :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ok fine then do this...

Once something major in your Karma fails (i.e. traction motors/generator, battery, diff etc) pull out the EV stuff and put in a conventional drivetrain. I plan on doing this with one of my Karma's (battery destined to fail as it was an early build- I could probably find another battery but I think it would be more fun to build the Karma as a pure ICE). Should be relatively cheap to have a custom rear end and driveshaft built. Crate motors are cheap too (although you may have to have some custom work done for the engine to clear the Karma's hood). Once Karma's hit $20-$30k (probably broken) I think its a no-brainer. A Karma with no computers would be awesome :D
Couple of concerns - exhaust exits under door might not cope well with added heat from ICE engine and also might mess up performance of the engine due to resonance issues, but only practical test will tell. Corvette's engine is probably best solution, lots of spare parts and tuning options.

Higher performance ICE engine will need additional cooling at the front of the car.

Handling of the car will be compromised since now most of the weight will be upfront, car might seriously understeer and lose traction at the rear.

Mating current wiring to new ECU and dashboard switches will be a headache, you will lose slickness of current interface. Aftermarket touch panel can be fitted, but not sure it will accomodate all the alarms, switches, radio, navigation, etc.

Putting aftermarket ICE in the car will reduce its future value and if done as one-off the conversion cost will be about 50 000 USD. All the time there will have to be commitment to time, financial resources and goodwill of company that will do this conversion. If they throw in the towel due to some packaging concerns or inability to do conversion quickly, you might brick the car forever. Just so you know what you are up against. It is not impossible, but doing conversion individually is not for faint-hearted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am wondering who is buying cars from SMO or OC dealer right now. The dealers need to tell them that they don't have any warranty and also they need to pay for the service. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
996 Posts
What does that mean?

Cars are sold to other dealers via a car auction (i.e. Manheim) at a discounted rate to clear inventory. I suspect many dealers are doing this which makes the dwindling "new" Fisker inventory deceptive. These cars are merely being transferred to non-Fisker dealers and trying to be sold there.

Couple of concerns - exhaust exits under door might not cope well with added heat from ICE engine and also might mess up performance of the engine due to resonance issues, but only practical test will tell. Corvette's engine is probably best solution, lots of spare parts and tuning options.

Higher performance ICE engine will need additional cooling at the front of the car.

Handling of the car will be compromised since now most of the weight will be upfront, car might seriously understeer and lose traction at the rear.

Mating current wiring to new ECU and dashboard switches will be a headache, you will lose slickness of current interface. Aftermarket touch panel can be fitted, but not sure it will accomodate all the alarms, switches, radio, navigation, etc.

Putting aftermarket ICE in the car will reduce its future value and if done as one-off the conversion cost will be about 50 000 USD. All the time there will have to be commitment to time, financial resources and goodwill of company that will do this conversion. If they throw in the towel due to some packaging concerns or inability to do conversion quickly, you might brick the car forever. Just so you know what you are up against. It is not impossible, but doing conversion individually is not for faint-hearted.
Here is one document of many that Fisker produced for the Destino. As you can see it seems as if Fisker also designed the Karma chassis to work as a pure ICE vehicle. Most of the Destino changes were to differentiate the vehicle from the Karma (and done by Fisker in-house).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts