Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the ELR - and in many respects it seems its a good comparison for the Karma. Battery Range ELR (37) Karma (40ish), styling that you may or may not like on each (but seriously the Karma is near perfect), the interiors of both are nice - but again I would say the interior of the Karma is also a minimalist wet dream, the ELR is only 2 doors - of course -

Just curious.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think the ELR is just a re-skinned and gussied up Volt (minus 2 doors). amiright?

The ELR's styling will never stand the test of time. Unlike the Karma, which - love it or hate it - will be talked about for decades to come in terms of design.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I liked the ELR when it was called the Evoque at the 2009 Detroit auto show. It is a beautiful car. Unfortunately, I do not need a coupe so I'm not interested. I hope it is a great success with the right segment.

·
320 Posts
I was looking at the ELR - and in many respects it seems its a good comparison for the Karma. Battery Range ELR (37) Karma (40ish), styling that you may or may not like on each (but seriously the Karma is near perfect), the interiors of both are nice - but again I would say the interior of the Karma is also a minimalist wet dream, the ELR is only 2 doors - of course -

Just curious.
Nice car, but like the Tesla, it is overpriced. Should be $50k.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts

Just curious.
GM is trying to resurrect the SUV business model of charging a lot of money for a gussied-up utility vehicle. The original SUV's were basically pick up trucks with (slightly) fancier interiors. This is basically a Volt with slightly upgraded interior and sheet metal. I have a hard time justifying $70K+ for a Volt, or any front-wheel-drive Cadillac. For that kind of money, if I did not already have a Karma, I would seriously consider a low-end, or even a used, Tesla Model S, if you are not adventurous enough to buy a Karma.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Great looking car - really a stunner - the interior while nice seems too Caddy old fart for my taste. Haven't test driven it yet though.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I love the slyling of the car. They are are so original in their form, just wish they had a 4 door version. It looks way better than the Tesla. Thinking about one for my wife.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
ELR appears to be a good looking auto. I have not driven the ELR but saw it a the dealer here (same as Fisker). Its power train is similar to the Volt representing a good step to limit on CO2 emission as is the Fisker. Given a choice, I would prefer the Tesla to eliminate CO2 entirely. Just to be "open", I have never been a fan of Cadillac, thus I am somewhat biased. I have test driven the Tesla S and ordered a Tesla X. In combination with my Fisker, I will have no range issues with the X. It will more than handle any trip to the golf courses, and run errands without worry. That said, I applaud GM for moving to a hybrid and giving drivers a choice. If we "collectively" move reduce CO2 emissions, it is the right move for the planet. Wish the move had started 50 years ago. Let's celebrate all moves to reduce CO2. ELR, Fisker, Volt, Leaf Tesla and others provide a choice. All move us in the right direction.

·
Registered
289 Posts
they should learn from what Toyota did with the rav4ev recently, very big mfg incentive that turns the lease price attractive, and then make the car obsolete ;)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I finally saw an ELR in person, parked at my favorite charging station in Manchester, and it definitely looks impressive, if a bit small. Still think that it's nothing but a Volt with some (very impressive) lipstick, and massively overpriced at that.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
I read that they are selling closer to 55k with discounts and 7500 tax credits

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I read that they are selling closer to 55k with discounts and 7500 tax credits
But the Volts have gotten cheaper too, so there is still a significant premium over the Volt.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
I know someone with an ELR and she likes it a lot. Her purchase price was much closer to $55 than $75; there are deals to be had. I've sat in one and poked around. It's very nice, but it is very much a gussied up Volt.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I saw the ELR at the local National Plug-in Day event. I looks nice. Nice cockpit interior despite the useless back seats.

I kept overhearing the GM rep (or perhaps he was from the local dealership) say that they priced it to compete with the Tesla Model S. I think that's kinda nuts given it doesn't have the interior space nor the performance numbers to compete with the Model S.

The ELR entered the market too expensive when compared to the Volt and too poor performing when compared with other vehicles in the price range. I think they should have upped the performance, even at the expense of efficiency. But perhaps that might have prevented them from getting the green HOV stickers in California.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.