Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After charging the Fisker Friday evening with a 30 AMP 240 volt Siemens Charger, I bought for the ELR, the check engine light came on when I started vehicle to put it away since charger is in our Horse barn and car is parked in the Arena.
Today my neighbor and mechanic who handles almost all our vehicles put his Snapon reader set to Generic to see the codes and than clear them.

P0A7B Battery Energy Control Module requested check engine light to come on

Two other codes were read and each read Manufacturer specific code
P1B3F
P1BED

Do you have an idea what this pertains two and what we need to accomplish to keep it form coming back. Could it have something to do with the Siemens Charger and perhaps I left it on two long? The ELR stops charging once fully charged even if I do not unplug charger for quite some time after charged. I assumed this Fisker would work the same way.

Can also send answer to my email[email protected]

·
Registered
859 Posts
With those battery error codes you might have a leaking Livonia HV battery. Check the S/N on the bottom of the battery. If the second set of digits is less than 1212, your battery was targeted for replacement back in March 2012.

P1B3F means that Cell 4 in Module 5 is out-of-range.

P1BED means that Cell 6 in Module 13 is out-of-range.

If you keep seeing these codes, you should contact your nearest Fisker CSP Service Center for advice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am new to this car so what is Livonia H/V battery and where do I find it??
What does it mean out of range and is that repairable??
Our Fisker dealer in Winston Salem is no more and closes is Atlanta and I live just north of Fort Bragg, NC.
Isn't this the same battery as in a chev volt and if is can Chev dealer take care of that.
Thanks for the response.l

·
Registered
859 Posts
Read about it here:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/26/fisker-karma-involved-in-new-55m-battery-replacement-program-fr/

Out-of-range usually means that a defective cell's output has deviated enough to trigger an error code. The software system in the battery is very sophisticated, and can detect small deviations - usually 20-30 mv is all it takes. The fix is to replace the bad modules or replace the entire battery if you are worried that other modules might fail. (They might.)

Since you're on the East Coast, HarleyGuy in Miami or FiskerPhilly in Philadelphia can advise you. You can search for their contact info.

No, it's not the same battery as in the Volt. You need a Karma-specific battery. The newer ones with date codes 1212 or greater are bullet-proof. That's the good news. The bad news is that they aren't cheap.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Likely module 13/5 out of spec could be fixed with balancing or may require replacement.. Unsolicited advise put the car on the charger for a week or so (don't drive it) and see what happens.

FA uses a non active balancing strategy which is quite archaic. They try to bleed rather than shuttle :).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tomorrow night will plug into siemans and leave it plugged in until Sunday when I am home for the day. I will say a prayer or two and start car and expect there ill be no code.
You have all been very helpful.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They have advised me to do it a number of times driving car so electric down to zero and than recharge system a few times to see if it will balance it all out.
First will drive it down to zero tomorrow and put on full charge with Siemens for two and I/2 days than drive it down to zero after clearing codes if they come back.
than repeat it all a # of times and see if system balances but could all be a false alarm. I had that with my Saturn Sky for it said low tire pressure and all the right bells and whistles but tire pressure fine and once after shutting car off and quickly restarting it the idiot light was gone and has not returned. A computer glitch.
Praying for the same thing here.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hey. I traded my Saturn Sky for my Karma. That makes us a pretty unlikely pair! People who buy cars for their looks, I suppose!

·
Registered
859 Posts
And I traded in my gold Jaguar XK8 convertible for my Fisker. The Jag received a lot of attention, but not like my Karma.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I must admit, as lovely as the karma is, performance is not its greatest characteristic trait, nor should it be as it is an electric car, so performance is all about range and not acceleration, etc. I therefore kept my Aston Martin for those days (like today) when I just want to hear the V12 roar and just open it up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I kept my Redline Saturn Sky with Smoothline hardtop and feel it is fantastic under 5 sec to 60 and about 31 MPG on highway.
Fisker is not a race car but drives and handles quite well.
My wish is for the car to start Saturday or Sunday without the check engine light. I am slowly charging the battery pack and found if open car burns off some electricity so charger recharges battery pack until fill and if had a discrepancy in two of the modules hope this evens it all out and No check engine light.l

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sunday
Charged car on 240 Seimans for three days periodically opening door and checking charge as it had fully charged. Each time charger came on for z few minutes to equalize charge for opening doo burns electricity. Finally today went out and pulled plug from car and than put charging chord away and pulled electric from chord. Proudly with prayer sat in car and turned it on and no engine light. went to put car in reverse and nothing would not go in any gear. Turned car on and off a number of times and still would not go in gear. So took the manual went into home and lay on bed reading manual and saw I made no errors. Now need to contact roll back and choose were to send the car??
However first need to put manuals back in the car. In going back into the barn I noticed the charge door was open for I forgot to close it in my effort to start car and move it out of the barn. Different than ELR as ELR works with door open but tells you on dash it is open. Once I closed the door I started it and again no check engine light backed it out of the barn and parked it in its arena spot. that is all the driving I wish to do today but my heart rate dropped back to normal.
Will drive it later tomorrow and than charge it over night and if OK than I know it was either false alarm or I had not fully charged car and therefor perhaps all the cells didn't charge equally.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Car has not thrown a code since except one day driving to Statesville, NC at about 70 miles a lamp failure light went on but after one mile disappeared. On way home stopped at former Fisker dealer and the salesman on duty was very knowledgeable on the car and we went over every light and no light failure noted. have put about 800 miles on car and a OK.
The one I have had is when charging the car I have to put plug in the car's charging port a number of times before it accepts it to charge it though on some occasions has accepted it on first install. However it charges to fifty miles and no check engine light.
Now my dilemma since no NC dealer is where to have it trailered for the 530 install and checking all the things I have red about as issues.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have serviced quite a few NC/SC cars. More than welcome to send it up closer to end of January as we're packed through the month. I'm receiving csp cars by the dozen it seems. Btw, 530 is delayed for awhile poss late winter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
530 install at Cherry Hill Fisker

Could we schedule it for April or May in case I drive car than weather would not be an issue. Do you have Transport to ship vehicle both ways than can undertake it earlier.
My last four of serial # is 1212 and that means newer Battery pack in the vehicle. I have no idea of what rear end differential it has but no growls etc.
I do not know if they sealed all the leak areas in area in front of windshield.
I also might need the regular car battery checked to see if good since most of my cars are on trickle charge but not this one.
I have no idea how previous owners treated the car since has two real owners and one dealer other than the one I purchased it from who seemed like a straight up person.
I once purchased a Maserati Q-Porte over ten years ago owned by a Mr. Gotti ( I believe that was his name and will not advise what I found in the trunk) who owned a Pizza place in Cherry Hill.
You can email me directly at [email protected]
Mort

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
376 Posts
Likely module 13/5 out of spec could be fixed with balancing or may require replacement.. Unsolicited advice put the car on the charger for a week or so (don't drive it) and see what happens.

FA uses a non active balancing strategy which is quite archaic. They try to bleed rather than shuttle :).
Can you explain this "non-active balancing" a little further (or point me to somewhere on the forum where it has already been discussed)? How does keeping the car on the charger achieve this balancing? I assume the current drawn is minimal once the batteries reach full charge. What will keeping the charger active for a week (or so) actually achieve?

Given this advice is coming from you, PowerSource, I guess this is more than just theorizing. :)

Simon

1 - 20 of 24 Posts