Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FiskerPhilly's diesel powered stork dropped off #2388 at my door, and I couldn't be happier. Eclipse (black) with a purple sunglow, and canyon tri-color interior. My heart surges when I gaze at the car. Walking around it, I find that the car is stunning from ALL angles. I put 25k mi per year on my work vehicle, and driving through Michigan, Manhattan, Pennsylvania, and down to Florida and back.... I have seen maybe 20 Teslas, 300,000,000 Corvettes, 23 Maserati, 4 Ferrari, and about 200 Porsche derivatives. No Fiskers. The general sense that I feel, having been a passive member of this Forum, is that Fisker owners have an advanced adoration/love affair with their cars. Maybe being over protective of them, waiting for good driving weather. I haven't even used the wipers or washers on mine. Don't plan to, ever. Being technically inclined, with a very eccentric sense of gummy bear humor, I classify myself as fitting a certain profile that sees my car's perfections through its faults. Psychologists might have a classification for this condition, but I don't see it in my old copy of the DSM-IV. I love cars. I love design. My wife loves my love of cars, and she too has fallen in love with the Fisker. Yes, the cars had their initial faults when sold in 2012, many have been fixed, and they will always require special care to keep them healthy. This is just a fact of the matter owning a car of this caliber and I am comfortable living with this. Some are not. Reliability and cars are a rare marriage, and we will always have varying opinions.

Before buying the beast, I watched every YouTube video, read every report, and considered every wet behind the ears, big-headed, hot-aired blow hard wanna-be auto reviewer out there who should be flipping burgers at Arby's instead of reviewing cars. I've found that too many reviewers put exceeding amount of emphasis on a cars ability to accelerate, it's horsepower rating, and top speed. Their disappointments confuse me, as I feel that they all have missed the mark in reviewing this car. Be it that they themselves "should" be driving a cookie cutter Porsche, or an affordable Honda hatchback, I think the majority of the auto press lack the faculties to fully absorb the concepts that make this car not only visually appealing, but emotionally appealing as well. Henrik and his team have created something that not only appeals to the eyes, but also the soul. Very difficult to do. The Karma is a special car, and I am trying not to use the "T" word, but I will. It's design is Timeless, and will be difficult to surpass. The new Karma Revero, while stunning, will lack that certain heritage that only "first batch" cars have, with that gorgeous orange badge on the nose. My opinion. I'm full of them.

This car exudes the same gentle mystique of a DeLorean or a Tucker. Companies led by visionaries. The Karma's aesthetic design was so important that the mechanicals under the skin became not only secondary, but secondary in such a way as to create an engineering nightmare to make the car drive at all without changing it's look. Before purchasing, I read Aaron Wood's short book: "Fisker: What Went Wrong and Why.". At first, it scared me. A LOT. I gave it a few days to sink in, then I found myself even more enchanted by it. The book covers the numerous and recurring design and development challenges, getting the car to market under the requirements of the Dept of Energy loan that helped finance the monster. In summary, time and politics were not kind to Fisker Automotive. I recommend this book to anyone fascinated with what it takes to make a car, against nearly insurmountable odds.

Back to the car.

We drove through town sounding like a transport cruiser from Star Wars, and heads turn. People stop and look. Some longer than others, but never in the same entitled awe that Ferraris and Lamborghinis attract. Maybe it is my ego thirsting? Imagined versus perceived. I imagine that it's more like seeing something you don't see every day. Something that welcomes your eye. A type of beautiful that draws you in with one curve, and further in as the light reflects off of its moving 5300 pounds of gloss and dune waves. I can't stand what modern car company's consider sporty. You follow one harsh body line, and it ends in an angle, or worse, nothing at all. The Karma has a continuity about its lines which make me turn around to look at it when I walk away. Trying to find something new, maybe just looking for that same spark that started this whole journey. In any case, I am bitten, and now an enthusiast.

"Shout out" to Fisker of Cherry Hill: Joe Ferrante, for not only recognizing my passion for this car, but providing a service relationship that I feel is light years better than having to deal with a newbie service department rep that doesn't know their product. Joe is THE MAN, and I am appreciative of his commitment to these cars and their owners.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I couldn't agree with you more about the acceleration and speed issue - the Karma is, after all, a 4 door sedan. A very sporty look, but still a family car, not a sport car.

However, I don't think you get it about driving in inclement weather - this car is meant to be driven, it is a pure pleasure to drive (though not to park). It is my daily driver, even in the rainy Pacific NW.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I totally agree, on the misplaced focus on super-car acceleration too. If you're out on a date with Jennifer Aniston, do you really care how fast she can run a quarter mile?

·
Registered
888 Posts
#JCMorrill , what is it with Jennifer an you?
You mentioned her the 2nd time, this week ...

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm just getting old and don't always remember! :) I also have problems picking an famous woman that appeals to a wide range of ages!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
@tinsnail, The Karma is one of the most emotionally provoking cars I have ever seen. As a nerd and second-generation engineer, I feel awe and admiration when I see a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc. mainly because I appreciate the exquisitely complex and clever engineering that has gone into building such a complex machine. But in the last 4.5 years, every time I walk up to my (or any other) Karma, I feel a sense of happiness and contentment washing over me. It's an entirely different emotion for me. Exotic supercars make me excited, the Karma makes me happy.

This is not really surprising because Henrik Fisker has spoken pretty openly about the importance of emotion and internal legend in design, and he certainly knows how to evoke the right emotions from pressed sheets of Aluminium.

The emotional response is unique to each individual, but with a Karma, it is always there. This is not the kind of car that you could walk up to, without cracking a smile, regardless of whatever else is on your mind, and where you are going.

Welcome to the community.

·
Registered
349 Posts
am a new owner, and slowly making my way through about 20 pages of threads (so far!) trying to learn all i can about this new beauty.
i spoke to joe ferrante yet again today, and second all the praise for him - he is a treasure for the fisker obsessed.

and one of the things i told joe today was despite the present issues, and the surely impending issues, i love this car. in our family of 5 and my parents, we own more than 30 cars, ranging from the mundane to million dollar supercars, and yet, this car has captivated my attention, and adoration.
it is just epically cool in a way that most cars just are not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I?m still obsessed with it. I had a collection of cars, from one-off prototypes to serial numbered Callaway turbocharged vehicles. Even a few Volvo P1800?s and the 333rd Subaru to ever be produced for the US MARKET, imported by Malcolm Bricklin. List goes on and on, but those cars all got sold off slowly. The Fisker remains, and I drive it at every possible opportunity. At first I didn?t drive it in the rain..... but now I do. The heated seats do wonders for my back problems!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Second third and fourth the thought here. I too have had many "unusual" cars in my collection. Most of them have been a pain. The Karma (thanks to Joe Ferrante and Brinton) has not. It's kind of an exotic you can drive every day and rarely buy gas for.

The caveat is that my office is very close to @FiskerPhilly. Like in the building. But even after picking up our new Tesla P100D on Friday, the Karma is still magic.

I would really love to see KA succeed and continue the brand. I am also grateful for the folks who work to continue the magic we have with our [email protected], Joe @FiskerPhilly) and Adam @FiskerMiami).

PS- I have a great picture of my dad shaking hands with Malcolm Bricklin in 1974.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
What a great string of posts. I saw my first Fisker Karma about 6 weeks ago and I immediately thought that it was the most unique and beautiful and affordable car that I have ever seen and that I wanted one. After MUCH research I bought one: FK Signature Car #13 , from Joe F in suburban Philly who was and is the ultimate professional. I can't wait to experience all that I can with this car and with all of you Fisker fans going forward.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i went to another informal car show today at the shell tech center. corvettes, porsches, ferraris, hennessey stuff, mustangs, etc and my fisker. which car got the most attention? the fisker. i had to explain about a dozen times what it was, how it worked, all the stats, open and close everything etc. people are fascinated and attracted by this car. i think i probably even sold a few revero's !!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts