• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was looking at this used Karma in SoCal:

The VIN shows that it's a later model, but it also shows that this car has been in two car accidents. Is there any way to look up what was damaged/repaired/replaced in these accidents? I used one of the free VIN lookups on the internet and found a record with two rather alarming entries (possibly from separate owners):
  1. Car was delivered March 19th, 2012 with engine warning lights. Dealer refused to have vehicle evaluated, or inspected. Dealer did not return my call and Fisker Motors did not return my calls. Car lost all power, while driving on three occasions in first 60 miles. In one instance headlights and controls turned off at approximately 60 mile per hour at night and twice around 40 mile per hour, within 1/4 mile of a stop light. Dealer has had car returned in less than 3 days and is unable to diagnose and fix problem, due to the fact that many Fisker cars do not store engine light codes. Software problems and a safety recall on the main power system are currently unavailable for months. Radio, and other electronic systems fail routinely, including the handsfree phone and the audio has loud pops. The dealer has tried multiple software updates over several months with no improvement on prior deliveries and is waiting like many others for the defective battery packs to be replaced. I do not feel that this car should be on the road. Fisker has explained that the car may fail, but they are unable to replace all the batteries recalled for several months. Many complaints on Fisker Buzz and other searches for problems with Fisker. I feel most are unsafe and the manufacturer is unwilling to take them off the road due to financial problems. I feel the company is unable to make ethical decisions, based upon it's production goals tied to the Department of Energy loan. A great deal has been in the news about how bad the quality and multiple serious failures owners experience. I feel the cars are unsafe and need to be removed from the streets. It is only a matter of time until someone is injured or worse, due to the multiple defects and quality control issues. I have been waiting a month for Fisker to buy back or fix the car. My wife is afraid to drive it.
  2. While driving the car, a 2012 Fisker Karma, at 35 mph, the car shut itself off, all lights on the dash illuminated, the brakes did not work and the steering was impaired leaving basic directional control only.
Source: VIN YH4K14AA2CA00**** lookup for Fisker KARMA 2012

No mention of whether any of these defects have been repaired.

What do you guys think -- stay far away, or it might be a diamond in the rough?

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are very few rough diamonds. If you want a good one, I should have one available by mid summer. I am in Arizona.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, how much would that go for? I think the biggest concern for me is lack of repair shops who have expertise with such a unique car in SoCal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there,
I have a 2012, in great shape, 14000 miles. registered as inoperative here in Rancho Santa Fe California. Cant get it through emissions due to permanent faults. Had it at Elite motors in Aliso Viejo, Ca, they cleared codes and had it set but when I got it back it showed faults again. Will not put anymore cash into this car. Celebrity owned. Need it gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 2012 Karma Signature Edition from 2015 until it was taken from me by a house fire while parked in the garage in 2017, and always used Elite Motors in Aliso Viejo. I am in San Diego but he was the closest, so for major repairs (as were most) it involved driving it up to Elite then getting an Uber to the San Juan Capistrano Amtrak station, and taking that back to San Diego. One time it was not drivable so I had to flatbed it up there. Alex is great and was always able to fix, it is just not cheap, and there are so many things that break.

I loved that car, but also hated it because fo the incessant problems. Would never buy another one. Maybe grab a Karma Revero (looks almost the same as the Fisker Karma, but the new company has supposedly fixed all the issues; hard to know as they are sold in such low numbers)? Or wait for the Fisker Ocean? Or wait even longer for the Fisker e-Motion?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts