Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know PowerSource sells a kit to upgrade the Karma to 32 amp (6.6kWh) charging ($4k).

Can we, I, us, the people upgrade the charging to 32amps DIY? What is involved? I would love to do it. I believe Tesla has 48 and 96 amps. No clue how they change it.

I will at some point buy a TOM most likely, but to upgrade charging is pricey. If there is a more economical way to do it I am all ears.

If it breeches on PowerSource's business, we can take it offline and PM. I am just curious if it is something that a DIYer can do or not?

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
I know PowerSource sells a kit to upgrade the Karma to 32 amp (6.6kWh) charging ($4k).

Can we, I, us, the people upgrade the charging to 32amps DIY? What is involved? I would love to do it. I believe Tesla has 48 and 96 amps. No clue how they change it.

I will at some point buy a TOM most likely, but to upgrade charging is pricey. If there is a more economical way to do it I am all ears.

If it breeches on PowerSource's business, we can take it offline and PM. I am just curious if it is something that a DIYer can do or not?

The main issue is the wiring as the gauge can only handle max ~20A. You need a new harness to do 32A. So basically a full harness. Then you also need to change the Fuse in the battery pack to a 40A because right now it is a 20A.

There are aftermarket chargers out there like the Brusa units that do not require CAN communication and merely look at the V/I ramp and injects current when the ramp is at its highest point and turns off once the taper starts to happen. This is probably your best bet for a DIY solution.

Our solution parallels two of the stock Delta OBCM's and requires a new harness, chargeport and is quite involved. Point is to make it as OEM as possible when acquiring replacement parts.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main issue is the wiring as the gauge can only handle max ~20A. You need a new harness to do 32A. So basically a full harness. Then you also need to change the Fuse in the battery pack to a 40A because right now it is a 20A.

There are aftermarket chargers out there like the Brusa units that do not require CAN communication and merely look at the V/I ramp and injects current when the ramp is at its highest point and turns off once the taper starts to happen. This is probably your best bet for a DIY solution.

Our solution parallels two of the stock Delta OBCM's and requires a new harness, chargeport and is quite involved. Point is to make it as OEM as possible when acquiring replacement parts.
It's what I thought and really doesn't sound that hard unless there is something I should know? My buddy is an electrician, so I thought we could tackle it. IDK, I prob won't as I just have a fear of touching the car and messing it up.

How long does it take to charge on the upgrade? Right now I get about 10 miles an hour and takes about 5 hours to fully charge. That sound right all????

·
1,172 Posts
It's what I thought and really doesn't sound that hard unless there is something I should know? My buddy is an electrician, so I thought we could tackle it. IDK, I prob won't as I just have a fear of touching the car and messing it up.

How long does it take to charge on the upgrade? Right now I get about 10 miles an hour and takes about 5 hours to fully charge. That sound right all????

Cool your electrician buddy should have no problem tackling automotive wiring. Would recommend at least getting a vehicle schematic from some source (maybe Karma themselves?)

Will be around 2.5-3 hours for a full "50 mile" charge with the 6.6kw upgrade. You should email the team to find out specifics

I am running a 40kwh pack with a 10kw charger so not really apples to apples (i.e. I get about 30 miles/hour charging off a 14-50 outlet).

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool your electrician buddy should have no problem tackling automotive wiring. Would recommend at least getting a vehicle schematic from some source (maybe Karma themselves?)

Will be around 2.5-3 hours for a full "50 mile" charge with the 6.6kw upgrade. You should email the team to find out specifics

I am running a 40kwh pack with a 10kw charger so not really apples to apples (i.e. I get about 30 miles/hour charging off a 14-50 outlet).
Could you do 96kwh pack like Tesla does?

I am just curious if you will offer a pack larger than 6.6?

·
1,172 Posts
Could you do 96kwh pack like Tesla does?

I am just curious if you will offer a pack larger than 6.6?

Are you talking about the pack capacity or charge power rate? 96kWh refers to a capacity 6.6kw refers to a charge rate.

With the small capacity pack of the Karma, the max theoretical continuous charge(according to A123 AMP20 spec) is 40kw- which would most likely be DC-Combo or CHAdeMo.

The A123 is a pretty antique pack in that it has a very low energy density and uses chemistry that no major EV OEM uses currently- LiFePO4.

Remember as the battery pack size goes up, the C (discharge rate) also usually increases which means more power can be charged and discharged.

A 10kw charger makes sense if you have a 40A circuit and a EVSE capable of supporting that charge rate, with the small pack of the stock Fisker Karma pack it really doesn't make sense to up the charge rate over AC as 10kw EVSE's are hard to come by. Better to have an even quicker charge rate with the CHAdeMO solution that we offer. 80% charge in ~20-30 mins.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you talking about the pack capacity or charge power rate? 96kWh refers to a capacity 6.6kw refers to a charge rate.

With the small capacity pack of the Karma, the max theoretical continuous charge(according to A123 AMP20 spec) is 40kw- which would most likely be DC-Combo or CHAdeMo.

The A123 is a pretty antique pack in that it has a very low energy density and uses chemistry that no major EV OEM uses currently- LiFePO4.

Remember as the battery pack size goes up, the C (discharge rate) also usually increases which means more power can be charged and discharged.

A 10kw charger makes sense if you have a 40A circuit and a EVSE capable of supporting that charge rate, with the small pack of the stock Fisker Karma pack it really doesn't make sense to up the charge rate over AC as 10kw EVSE's are hard to come by. Better to have an even quicker charge rate with the CHAdeMO solution that we offer. 80% charge in ~20-30 mins.
I think I am understanding. You convert to DC direct, CHAdeMO, to do fast charging. That is not your 6.6 ($4k) kit is it? How do you accomplish this, what kit on your site? This means you have to use the EVerGo(sp) network? How do you get DC in your house?

·
1,172 Posts
I think I am understanding. You convert to DC direct, CHAdeMO, to do fast charging. That is not your 6.6 ($4k) kit is it?

No our conversion is an AC kit that parallels your existing OBCM with another to achieve this charge rate.CHAdeMo is a different DC charging system we offer from publicly available stations.

How do you accomplish this, what kit on your site? This means you have to use the EVerGo(sp) network? How do you get DC in your house?
It is unlikely you can get DC in your house unless you have grid storage. CHAdeMo is a publicly available station that you would use while out and about (not in home).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts