Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Lormax/Harley/8avgmpg, have you guys ever tried to upgrade the on oars charging module in the Karma? Is it a bespoke unit just for the Karma? I had a faulty diode in the charging system and it burned through 2 OBCMs until they were able to fix the root problem. Just wondering where I will be able to get a replacement unit if that gives out (also wondering if its possible to swap out for a 6.6kw unit to charge faster?). Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've never looked into upgrading it personally. It's also not flashable, at least through the tool I have. It may be flashable with some of the tools the Fisker engineers had though.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I agree it's a plug and go module . When the diode blows it can cause a problem like yours or nothing at all . I changed my first diode two weeks a go Fisker support was very surprised that I never had a problem before . The one thing that did happen after replacing the diode the car still didn't charge the main contactor would trip out tried every part the suggested I ended up trying a new HV battery that fixed the problem .I took the battery from a stock unit so now I'm waiting on a new battery which I will have next week yes batteries are still out their for dealers who order them before Fisker shut down . With a very good contact he was able to locate the batteries and the shipper . This is the same engineer I know that's looking for investors to start a company that will supply technical help / parts location / and even software development . He wants the brand to live he has a team all ready and a business plan keep will update as things progress .

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting - would be great to be able to swap charger with a faster unit (and to know that there are units avail)

·
Registered
996 Posts
More likely to put in a fast DC rather than a faster AC charging solution. Fisker was working on induction charging on K2 (not sure of 6.6kw- maybe delta has a PN?). Initial KPT2 prototypes were designed with CHADEMO in mind. I know there were a few prototypes out there that could do induction and/or fast dc.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The benefit of a faster AC charger is that for those using public L2 charging stations, you could really add meaningful range while eating at a restaurant or shopping at the mall for example (6.6kwh in an hour = 15-16 miles).

·
Registered
996 Posts
yea I know the benefits my Model S has Fast DC plus 20kw, Roadster can do 70A. I just don't think KPT1 was designed for 6.6kw and its expensive to have to test and retrofit. My guess is that KPT2 had this standard. I think KPT1 was a dead platform and no resources were being spent on developing it (just on aesthetics). Theoretically it is possible but YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@smooth that's why I'm wondering if its a simple swap out/in the old OBCM for a new one - eg can the new leaf charger (6.6kw) or new volt charger be swapped into the karma?

·
Registered
289 Posts
@smooth that's why I'm wondering if its a simple swap out/in the old OBCM for a new one - eg can the new leaf charger (6.6kw) or new volt charger be swapped into the karma?
Thanks for bringing this up, would love to see if that option is an easy swap.

·
Registered
996 Posts

From a technical perspective hear is my take on it:

The A123 cells are some of the best for charge/discharge cycles no problem here with regards to applying 6.6kw

The heat generated from 6.6kw could be a problem

The connections are proprietary to Delta & Fisker. The 6600w unit would probably have to be a Delta unit. The current unit is a proprietary Delta unit made specifically for the Fisker Karma. If Delta has a 6.6kw part number or the R&D done then it will be a direct swap. The Leaf, Volt or whatever future 6.6kw unit will not fit in as the connectors and thermal specs will be different. It is necessary to have an engineered 6.6kw charger in this application. This could probably be engineered but would take at least 250 units for it to make sense (direct swap without any further engineering done on thermal impact etc). If 250 people are willing to take the risk then I think it is worth asking the question and doing the research. Anyone willing to take the lead with Delta?

Personally I don't think it is worth it (if it requires R&D), I would rather have (potentially pre-engineered) CHADEMO capability (easier to implement if someone can buy the prototype(s).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me2... It looks like I've got a bad OBCM.. Lormax, I'm glad to be a guinea pig if your game to tell me how.... Assuming it's the obcm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts