Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owners, after an exhausting search, I have secured an expert machinist in NJ who specializes in aviation. He is currently analyzing spline shafts that I've given him to template as well as sheared off spline sections. Reverse engineering is in process. He is going to give me results of metal hardness testing comparisons (using the Rockwell scale) of soft and hard spline shafts I've supplied so that should be interesting. Ive secured orders for seals and bearings so we will be good to go hopefully soon. I dont have final pricing yet but obviously well less than new units but definitely strong and I will warranty them of course.
I am looking to offer this as an exchange program. I will have built motors in stock and ready for immediate shipment (unless I'm doing the work of course). Old units will be shipped back as cores for rebuild.
Stay tuned, more to come...

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
And hopefully I will be using the same company to supply everything that's needed for customers located closer to South Florida .

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No sense shipping motors coast to coast. Why pay someone in CA to do what can be done here. Plus if theres an issue, I hold all accountability for my own warranty of repair, no need to rely on third parties. I did reach out to the guy alex is using but he didn't seem interested in returning my calls, which didn't surprise me, so I took matters into my own hands...

·
Registered
535 Posts
If this fix was done "pre-emptively" (to avoid damage later), would it affect the limited Fisker warranty (voiding it I mean)?

And if the fix was done "reactively" (to correct damage done), would it be covered by the Fisker warranty?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If this fix was done "pre-emptively" (to avoid damage later), would it affect the limited Fisker warranty (voiding it I mean)?

And if the fix was done "reactively" (to correct damage done), would it be covered by the Fisker warranty?
I can answer the 1st question. No it wouldn't affect the warranty. In fact I talk frequently to Fisker about doing this rework they're interested in my method.

As far as the second question, I'd have to speak off the record for that one...

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Fisker Philly.... are the harden spline something that will be available in the near term. I am having the RDM replaced and want to know if I should wait a few weeks to have both done.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told a few weeks to make my initial order but I dont want to promise a time and not be able to commit. I will certainly update as the process moves.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Thanks... I guess I will proceed for now. I will have them check the splines for wear. If OK, the Loctite Solution may be best. If worn, I will have the suspend replacing the RDM and Wait.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Thanks... I guess I will proceed for now. I will have them check the splines for wear. If OK, the Loctite Solution may be best. If worn, I will have the suspend replacing the RDM and Wait.
I thought @Lormax had an existing source for hardened splines also. Was I wrong about that?

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I thought @Lormax had an existing source for hardened splines also. Was I wrong about that?
We all have the same source we are trying to have a West Coast and a East coast source . Anyone needing motors on the WestCoast they can contact Alex Pop . New splines are being made also they ran out of them .

·
Registered
334 Posts
Alex and lormax using the same source it's fantastic quality ( take time to make one set due to high demand )

Alex did mine the ( was lucky claimant Big chunk covered by Fisker in Alex shop )
car torque change
I feel more power .. And the regenerative system more responsive now not sure why !!
It's very quite now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm sure this is discussed elsewhere on the forum, but I can't find the answer, so I'll ask in this thread so all the info is in one place:

1. what is the approximate cost to replace the spline
(a) before there is any damage caused by a soft spline (ie: preventative work); and
(b) after it fails (which presumably would cause other damage - correct me if wrong).

It may not be possible to give a firm answer depending on geography or other factors, which is why I say "approximate", but I think it would be useful info for owners considering it (especially if considering 1(a), if it makes a difference).

Updated to include info I found from an October 2014 FiskerPhilly post:
"Current pricing for a set of traction motors is over 15k in parts plus the rdm another $6000+. Labor around $2500." But that represents the cost of a entirely new traction motor, and my assumption is that replacing the spline before that becomes necessary would be a lot less, but I don't see a description of that cost anywhere on the forum.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Are the splines available to order. I would like to have them replaced during the RDM replacement. Is it something that can be done here in ATL by the Fisker Tech?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be general on this please understand pricing varies on the severity of the repair and is completely different if someone else is doing the job as labor is according to the individual shop. Also that would involve shipping at over 200 lbs per crate and to keep the rebuilt units readily available and costs wt a minimum I would need the old units shipped back (which is costly as well). Thus the reason for doing this separately on the east coast. @AIJOHN Id say no on them disassembling the motor as its quite involved. Special presses and equipment required to disassemble the rotor and get the splined hub out. Ive damaged a couple myself learning how to do it :D
I'm hoping for cost to run @$2000-$2500 per motor plus labor around another $2000-2500. Again. Any specific questions in regards to customer support program in relation to this I will speak to anyone off the record about.
hope this helps

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
@ Fisker P. Appreciate the input. I will have them inspect the splines. If no wear, I will go with the loctite solution which I understand works. I have 27K on the car, with no issues. I am very aware of changes in sound and and issues with my cars, and haven't felt/heard any issues to date.

The Mechanic here will be doing the RDM change and will contact me when he drops the drive unit from the car. If something changes, will let you know.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Just an update. Atlanta Fisker pulled the RDM and inspected the splines. There was only minimal wear on one of the motor splines. The Fisker Tech is going to reverse the the motors -- change the drive side of splines and loctite them to the new RDM. Sounds pretty good at nearly 30K miles. It looks like I will hang in there another few years, and maybe new Fisker will have improvements available by then. We are applying for Customer Appreciation to cover the instal.

Thanks to Harley Guy for sharing expertise with the Tech Here.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Just an update. Atlanta Fisker pulled the RDM and inspected the splines. There was only minimal wear on one of the motor splines. The Fisker Tech is going to reverse the the motors -- change the drive side of splines and loctite them to the new RDM. Sounds pretty good at nearly 30K miles. It looks like I will hang in there another few years, and maybe new Fisker will have improvements available by then. We are applying for Customer Appreciation to cover the instal.

Thanks to Harley Guy for sharing expertise with the Tech Here.
My pleasure it's always nice to talk to another tech that trying to keep the dream alive . By any chance did you see the Karma that has 80,000 miles on it .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts