Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Has anyone else seen the articles about the airbag recall? It sounds like our Karmas are affected, so just curious how this recall process will work.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-takata-recall-idUSKCN0XV1GU

I will post this same question in the KA forum to @KARMANEWS.
NHTSA has some tools that may be helpful in the meantime.

This page shows the anticipated replacement schedule for the initial and expanded recall. Due to the large number of air bags that have to be prefaced, the replacement is done by phases. The chart shows the replacement priority based on climate. For those of us in California, the replacement campaign will not start until December 2016.

There is also a recall lookup tool that you can use to see if there are any active recall campaigns for your cars by VIN or model. Note that the expanded Tekata airbag recall is NOT included in this database yet.

Finally, you can set up email alerts for your entire fleet on this page and NHTSA will send you an email whenever a recall for one of your vehicles is added to the database.

Of course NHTSA only knows what the car manufacturers tell them and the best source of information for us will be @KARMANEWS and Karma Automotive.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks for that information, Fabulist!

I'm curious to know how many Karma drivers feel uncomfortable driving their cars around knowing they contain the defective airbags? I know I felt more wary than usual today while driving around Los Angeles. I'm now anxious to get my airbags replaced as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm just putting this out there but from a legal standpoint, these cars were built by Fisker and not Karma Automotive which means the airbag recall administrators would've been Fisker and since they are no longer in business, the liabilities do not forward to Karma as there are no ties between the two legally. Bottom line here Takada/NHTSA would need to decide how to handle these replacements and no one has any replacement airbags for them to my knowledge. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you look at the schedule, it's obvious that they believe your airbags are not, yet, defective. It appears to take 7-8 years of heat & serious humidity to cause a problem. And, that's if you live in FL (based on their replacement schedules)! Our cars are all only 4 years old. And, if you live where it's dryer and/or cooler it's evidently "no rush". They won't be fixing our cars until the end of 2018!! (When they're only 6.) I think that means we can probably stay calm.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
In case you don't regularly monitor the official Karma Automotive forum site (and you really should), they recently posted a statement about the airbag recall. Here is a link. Not a whole lot of substance, basically, Karma Automotive is waiting to hear from the manufacturer in December of this year, and they will decide how to proceed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My wife's Audi Q5 received an airbag recall yesterday, except in that case metal fragments will tear apart your face in a crash. At least in our cases it will just fail to open fast enough.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My wife's Audi Q5 received an airbag recall yesterday, except in that case metal fragments will tear apart your face in a crash. At least in our cases it will just fail to open fast enough.
I'm confused. I thought the Fisker airbag recall was because the car was equipped with the Takata airbags that spray shrapnel at your face when they open? What is this about simply failing to open fast enough?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I'm confused. I thought the Fisker airbag recall was because the car was equipped with the Takata airbags that spray shrapnel at your face when they open? What is this about simply failing to open fast enough?
From Consumer Reports:

At the heart of the problem is the airbag’s inflator, a metal cartridge loaded with propellant wafers, which in some cases has ignited with explosive force. If the inflator housing ruptures in a crash, metal shards from the airbag can be sprayed throughout the passenger cabin—a potentially disastrous outcome from a supposedly life-saving device.

NHTSA has determined the root cause of the problem: airbags that use ammonium nitrate-based propellent without a chemical drying agent. As postulated early on, environmental moisture, high temperatures, and age as associated with the defect that can improperly inflate the airbags and even send shrapnel into the occupant. To date, there have been 10 deaths and more than 100 injuries due to this problem in the U.S.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some Karma info I picked up. Good News.

So I was at my Cars and Coffee in Irvine a few weeks back and what pulls in but the brand new 2017 Karma show/demo car. Very interesting indeed and it was piloted by the new service director for the new Karma brand.

Anyway I checked the car out and it was of course beautiful and I must say looked just like our 2012 car with the exception of a better interior finish and electronics.

In chatting I was told that this hasn't been released yet but...Our 2012 cars have the infamous Takata Passenger side airbags in them which you may remember was big issue for Japanese car makers a few years back as they sometimes like to go off for no apparent reason taking out the passenger and causing crashes.

I was told the the new Karma company will be issuing a recall for all of our cars in 2017 to replace those airbags as the liability of them is to great to ignore. This may open Pandoras box for the new Karma to address our 2012 cars or maybe it wont but at least we will all get some interaction with the new company when this campaign is announced.

Take all of this as scuttlebutt but it was told to me directly. That is all, carry on.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Moderator's Note: @guitarman, thank you for the update, it is good news. I moved your post to this existing thread to keep it together with other useful information and will make it sticky for easier access.

Your information appears to be consistent with what we had known about the recall, specifically that it was being implemented in phases, based on the affected cars' model year, and 2012 model year cars would be addressed in December 2016.

Here is the post from Karma's owners forum from back in May when this question was asked:

Fisker Karma Owners,

We would like to address the NHTSA announcements last week regarding the Takata airbag recall. Per the news reports that a number of you have shared with us, we can confirm that the 2012 Fisker Karma models contain non-desiccated Takata airbag inflators on both the driver and passenger side.

are a significant expansion of the recall orders governing Takata air bags. Importantly, the announcement states that non-desiccated frontal Takata PSAN air bag inflators do not pose an unreasonable risk to safety under the Safety Act until they reach a certain level of propellant degradation. at some point in the future all non-desiccated frontal Takata PSAN inflators will reach a threshold level of degradation that could result in the inflator becoming unreasonably dangerous.By December 31, 2016 for Zone A: California, South Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands and U.S. Virgin Islands.

- By December 31, 2018NHTSA opinion on the recall.
Please keep an ear out for additional news about this and update this thread as appropriate.

Thanks,

Your humble moderator.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
This recall notice for Karma's Takata airbags was just posted on NHTSA's website. I have signed up to receive alerts for our various cars, and that's how I got notified. You may want to do the same here to stay up to date with new information.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V004000

Manufacturer Karma Automotive LLC

Components AIR BAGS

Potential Number of Units Affected 811

Summary

Karma Automotive LLC (Karma) is recalling certain 2012 Fisker Karma vehicles originally sold, or ever registered, in the states of Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas.

These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger frontal air bag, these inflators may rupture due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.

Remedy

Karma will notify owners, and dealers will replace the air bag inflators, free of charge. Remedy parts are not currently available.

Karma will send a letter to the affected owners to notify them of the recall and will mail a follow up letter when remedy parts are available. Karma Automotive Client Services Team can be reached at [email protected] or by calling 1-855-288-6109. Karma's number for this recall is 5.84.17.001.01.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Received safety recall notice today. To paraphrase: "we (KA) didn't make the 2012 cars, but we will fix the airbags, but we don't have the parts to do so yet, so wait for another letter when we do have them, and at that time we'll tell you how to proceed." From Joost

If you are a 2012 owner and you don't get this notice this month, recommend you call them at 855-288-6109 (and if you sold your 2012, may want to pass info on to the new owner).

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Received safety recall notice today. To paraphrase: "we (KA) didn't make the 2012 cars, but we will fix the airbags, but we don't have the parts to do so yet, so wait for another letter when we do have them, and at that time we'll tell you how to proceed." From Joost

If you are a 2012 owner and you don't get this notice this month, recommend you call them at 855-288-6109 (and if you sold your 2012, may want to pass info on to the new owner).
Thanks for the update. Did you receive a hard copy letter or an email?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.