Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, since I've first seen the karma I was sold... I contacted the dealer november 2011 and put down my first deposit... However economy went very bad here in Belgium... so by the time of the test drive of the first karma in belgium (april 2012) I couldn't buy him anymore... Now times are looking up again and I contacted my bank to get a lone... since the daeler has a few karma's in stock... i'de like to get one before the end of the year as fisker has good conditions that end in 2013 (5 year warranty,4 years pick and place) . Anyway, to the point... I'v bin reading this forum and it scares me a bit that in my hart, I would just by the car because of the way it looks and drives and the whole splendid Fisker idea in general . But in reality It would have to be my daily working car, and I realy can not afford al this bugs and troubles and stuf... I do have 100 solar panels to put to good use... but still Tires that wear at 15000km? and cost 5000€ excl. tax or 7300€ for a winterset excl.tax? However I can make a very good deal on this very karma I test drove(demo) 11000km. Am I gone buy a car that I really can not afford in my position ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dear Paradin,

Greetings from Belgium as well. Picking up my car tomorrow...
Am unsecure too, especially with the a123 circumstances... But... It is a dreamcar, no?

Rgds

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Hello, since I've first seen the karma I was sold... I contacted the dealer november 2011 and put down my first deposit... However economy went very bad here in Belgium... so by the time of the test drive of the first karma in belgium (april 2012) I couldn't buy him anymore... Now times are looking up again and I contacted my bank to get a lone... since the daeler has a few karma's in stock... i'de like to get one before the end of the year as fisker has good conditions that end in 2013 (5 year warranty,4 years pick and place) . Anyway, to the point... I'v bin reading this forum and it scares me a bit that in my hart, I would just by the car because of the way it looks and drives and the whole splendid Fisker idea in general . But in reality It would have to be my daily working car, and I realy can not afford al this bugs and troubles and stuf... I do have 100 solar panels to put to good use... but still Tires that wear at 15000km? and cost 5000€ excl. tax or 7300€ for a winterset excl.tax? However I can make a very good deal on this very karma I test drove(demo) 11000km. Am I gone buy a car that I really can not afford in my position ?
@Paradin: I have had my Karma for 10 Months now and have 12000 miles on it. I drive it almost 90 miles each day round trip to work. Since the 615 update, my car has not had any major bugs that would prevent me from using the car. I very very occasionally get a false Check Engine Light (CEL) that goes away by itself. I still have the original tires on the car and there is still plenty of thread left on the car.

In my personal opinion and based on my experience, if you make absolutely sure that you have the latest software (baseline 510) on board, you should not be experiencing any serious software bugs. Also make sure that the cooling fan recall has been done. Finally have the dealer check to see if the main battery in the car is on the list for replacement because of the A123 manufacturing flaw.

I really like my car and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I've had my Karma for almost a year now (in 10 days). I have almost 8K miles on it. My car does not have bugs or troubles. I certainly do not regret my purchase at all. In fact I'd do it again. Of course there is risk in buying a low volume car from an upstart company, but it is so much more fun than just driving another run of the mill car.
Good luck with your purchase,
Sigurd

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hello Paradin,

Several months ago, I came to fiskerbuzz to ask owners about their Karmas. Similar to you, I liked the looks of the car as well as the concept of a luxury plug in hybrid. But I was very, very hesitant to buy a car from a start up company. And all the reports of problems with the car left me fearful that I would just be buying an expensive--albeit beautiful--headache.

I quickly realized that almost every owner posting on fiskerbuzz complained about some aspect of the car--usually the Command Center. But I looked a little closer and realized most of the complaints were about things the owners found irritating, usually related to the software. It was rare that someone reported being unable to drive the car due to a mechanical problem. And, with few exceptions, owners were very, very pleased with the service from Fisker dealers.

But the most obvious thing I noticed was that owners were pretty much unanimous in stating that they loved their Karmas!

I finally reached a point where I had to have the car! So I went to Fisker Santa Monica where Patrick and Artie (and the rest of the crew) treated me right. It was the first time I ever walked out of a car dealership happy with the deal that had been struck.

The second day I had the car, I experienced a loud rattling noise coming from the exhaust when the car was in Sport Mode. I had read about the problem here on the forum, so I took the car back to the dealer, and it was repaired at no cost to me within a few hours. Since then, I've had no mechanical problem with the car. I've driven 1100 miles and used around 6.5 gallons of gas. I absolutely love my Karma!

I think the important thing to realize about the Karma before buying one is that it is not a cookie-cutter high end luxury car such as a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, etc... It is a somewhat quirky, somewhat odd car. And, like any car, it has flaws. In my view, the main imperfection--and the one that is consistently criticized by owners--is the Navigation System. It is really bad--so bad that I just use my iPhone for navigation. However, the Navigation System--indeed the entire Command Center--is something that Fisker can tweak with software updates. From what Fisker has told owners, they are working on making the Navigation System more user friendly. I have every reason to believe that future software updates will result in a Navigation System that is much more user friendly than the current one. Until that time, i'm happy to use my iPhone.

One other difficulty with the car, at least for me, is that it is a bit difficult to maneuver in tight places. Thanks to those gorgeous curves, it is often difficult for me to determine just how much room I have to squeeze the car into tight places. I'm getting much better at it. But I doubt it will ever be as effortless to park as my BMW. Then again, my BMW averages 12 MPG and is boring to look at compared to the Karma.

I love, love, love driving the Karma. It is comfortable. It is fun. It turns heads everywhere I go (even in Los Angeles, a city where $100,000+ cars are fairly commonplace). And most of all I feel good about doing my part to help end dependency on oil/gas.

I really do believe that if you buy a Karma, it will be a good experience for you.

And finally, like most of the people posting here, the Karma has become my primary car. I rely on it everyday, and I am completely confident in it. You can read more about people using the Karma as their daily driver at the thread I started here prior to purchasing my Karma: http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/1320-karma-your-primary-secondary-car.html

Check back and let us know what happens!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Pardin,

welcome to the Forum.
I think, you are gambling.

From your words, I'd wait! If you depend on this car and you really need a loan... No way.

I got my car in may and right now, it is in the shop for the seventh time.
That's a big disadvantage, but I use another car or get a loaner.

I Fisker goes down, I will be a happy owner of a brick and a crane to move it around. Do you think, you'll get a second loan for the crane or will the first loads get you in trouble?

I honestly believe, that you must be able to take the financial hurdle without any drawbacks for your life and your beloved...

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Pardin,

welcome to the Forum.
I think, you are gambling.

From your words, I'd wait! If you depend on this car and you really need a loan... No way.

I got my car in may and right now, it is in the shop for the seventh time.
That's a big disadvantage, but I use another car or get a loaner.

I Fisker goes down, I will be a happy owner of a brick and a crane to move it around. Do you think, you'll get a second loan for the crane or will the first loads get you in trouble?

I honestly believe, that you must be able to take the financial hurdle without any drawbacks for your life and your beloved...

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de
As much as I love my Karma, I have to completely agree with Stefan's point about financing. The Karma is so new that there really is no market for used Karmas at the moment, and it will be a while before there are enough Karmas around to get an active resell market going, so it is a fairly long term commitment and you should be confident that you really want to keep the car for a while.

It is a great car though, in my opinion.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oh. Hang on. I didn't realize you would be financing the car. In that case, I think I'd have to agree with Fabulist and Stefan. As they pointed out, there is really no resell market for the car. And getting financing would probably be very difficult. Better to wait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guy's for your honnest comments

I would lease the car, because that spreads the risk a bit. The thing is I believe if you buy a karma it's for live I would never wanna sell it (that's the way i feel now). And if I keep driving my BMW X5 (payed for)or go back to a 640d (my previous an most favorit car ever, crashed at only 8 months ) or a 7 or even a descent 330... All of these cars (including the X5) are more expensive as a fisker by the new (co2 bound) law's in Belgium... The only other option is a Volt... as a tesla is out of the question for obvious reason's. The volt is ofcourse cheap and that's about all you can say about it... and maybe the best car for me now money wise:mad:...
Still I hope the karma is indeed a kind of karma and i hope it will be my karma soon...:angel:.

P.S. I bought a 730d new in 2000 the last ones of that series so he would have no bugs you'd think! 2 years of pure trouble's... after that 450.000km... realy good car. Sometimes your lucky and sometimes....karma?:huh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
new owner congrates

I was there for a test drive, and it feels good, like if you were at the BMW store. I do believe they will try to give the same service idea also.
It will be needed at first untill the car is really up to standard...
How does it feel now it's yours...? I don't know your status in society, But how do people react to it... It scares me a bit that I would loose customers... because of jealousy... This happend with my BMW 6... and Fisker is much much more extravagant....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
now i wait

The accounted came by, he had the numbers for this year...not all that great but considering all the bancrupsies of my industriel customers... Any way he will pass it to the banc and they will deside if they wanna finance the karma... In my head the desision is made a karma or nothing...
I'll keep my fingers crossed...

I want to share this with you: about 18years ago my dad died and on his death bed he whispered to me: " I should have bought myself a new radio"...

So I don't want to live or die with any regrets...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was there for a test drive, and it feels good, like if you were at the BMW store. I do believe they will try to give the same service idea also.
It will be needed at first untill the car is really up to standard...
How does it feel now it's yours...? I don't know your status in society, But how do people react to it... It scares me a bit that I would loose customers... because of jealousy... This happend with my BMW 6... and Fisker is much much more extravagant....
I'll send PM.
br,
rob

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I would lease the car, because that spreads the risk a bit.
That's a great idea. That option is not available yet in the US because the car has not been out long enough but if you have that option it is definitely worth considering. I understand that the German Karma importer and dealer offers their own lease on the Karma, so Europe is definitely ahead of US on this front.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The accounted came by, he had the numbers for this year...not all that great but considering all the bancrupsies of my industriel customers... Any way he will pass it to the banc and they will deside if they wanna finance the karma... In my head the desision is made a karma or nothing...
I'll keep my fingers crossed...

I want to share this with you: about 18years ago my dad died and on his death bed he whispered to me: " I should have bought myself a new radio"...

So I don't want to live or die with any regrets...
As they say: You should only regret the things you did not do, not the things you did.

As for the other question: How do customers react ? I have a trading company and a lot of customers. I asked my self the same question before I bought the Karma. The fact that the car is electric actually has the opposite effect. They think it is great. When I tell them that I do not pay road tax, luxury tax I can see them thinking...why did I not buy this car.
Hopefully soon we can get rid of the 14% income tax too ( I live in Holland of course) when Fisker can manage to bring down the CO2 emmision to below 50 grams. The car then cost me as much as a middle class car.
We are installing solar pannels on the roof of the company. It is an 'hot' issue these days ;-) Companies should do something about their carbon footprint. Even if it helps just a little bit. Customers appreciate this too.

I hope the Bank will finance the car for you. Just go for it. I have had mine since April, drove 14.000 kms. Never got stranded. Some lights come on on the dash once in a while but who cares. Most cars don't even have that many light....The car gets better with every update. I have not had any mechanical issues. Just a rattling heatshield which is easy to fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bad news

So the bank was not impressed with our recovery, and decided only to look at the lesser numbers of last year... therefore they decided I would have to make a large deposit on the car... I can't take that risk because the cash flow would be to big and I can not afford that at this time... I wil have to wait... and work to get the bussines back to a level that I can afford my karma... :dodgy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts