Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
good info. I need a 2nd charging station and couldn't find one for less than $800.00
This one will be available sometime in June.

·
Registered
535 Posts
To update this thread, I did purchase the Bosch PowerMax 18Amp and at long last have it installed. There are 3 models of PowerMax, with the lowest being 15Amp (the next 2 tiers are both 30Amp, and the only difference seems to be cord length: 18' and 25'). I was fine with the 18' cord, but wanted the higher amperage for faster charging.

Report: So far so good - unit looks good, is affordable, and most importantly worked, though I haven't timed the speed (which is the best measure of performance). I'll update further as I collect observations.

Good customer service in the ordering/installation process, and the warranty is extended to 3 years if you use a bosch-referred installer.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
To update this thread, I did purchase the Bosch PowerMax 18Amp and at long last have it installed. There are 3 models of PowerMax, with the lowest being 15Amp (the next 2 tiers are both 30Amp, and the only difference seems to be cord length: 18' and 25'). I was fine with the 18' cord, but wanted the higher amperage for faster charging.

Report: So far so good - unit looks good, is affordable, and most importantly worked, though I haven't timed the speed (which is the best measure of performance). I'll update further as I collect observations.

Good customer service in the ordering/installation process, and the warranty is extended to 3 years if you use a bosch-referred installer.
Not 100% sure but the bottle neck as far as charging is the OBCM that controls the charge rate personally I wouldn't of purchased a charger that's not rated to work with the car again that's one area I've never investigated im sure some othe members like 8MPGAVG will chime in

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I also wanted to add something why mess with the charge rate.The battery is so fragile to begin with no warranty no batteries available don't you think if the engineers wanted to charge the battery at a higher rate they would of ? I just hope you don't damage the battery or the electrical components inside the battery trust you wont be happy with the cost of repair .I've all ready repaired five batteries in the last three months

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
The OBCM will only allow so much current to flow to the batteries, regardless of what the charging station is capable of. The OBCM is limited to 3.3KW while most L2 charging stations (like the public Chargepoint ones in California) are capable of 6.6kw+ (to accommodate cars like the Nissan Leaf)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I also wanted to add something why mess with the charge rate.The battery is so fragile to begin with no warranty no batteries available don't you think if the engineers wanted to charge the battery at a higher rate they would of ? I just hope you don't damage the battery or the electrical components inside the battery trust you wont be happy with the cost of repair .I've all ready repaired five batteries in the last three months
I don't think I understand what you are saying. Are you saying the bosch unit is not at the optimum (or appropriate) charge rate (by the way: its 30amp, not 18). When I ordered from bosch I was asked what vehicle I had, and when I responded "fisker karma", that wasn't flagged in any way as problematic.

This thread is not a new one - why wait until now to raise concerns?

Ps: OBCM? Guess I better crack open my owners manual, because I don't know WTF I'm being told now that I've bought, paid for, and installed the bosch unit.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
I don't think I understand what you are saying. Are you saying the bosch unit is not at the optimum (or appropriate) charge rate (by the way: its 30amp, not 18). When I ordered from bosch I was asked what vehicle I had, and when I responded "fisker karma", that wasn't flagged in any way as problematic.

This thread is not a new one - why wait until now to raise concerns?

Ps: OBCM? Guess I better crack open my owners manual, because I don't know WTF I'm being told now that I've bought, paid for, and installed the bosch unit.
Most of the level 2 Chargers are capable of charging at 30 A. My Blink unit charges the Fisker at 15 A because that is what the Fisker asks for, but it charges the Model S at 30 A.

So s.b. no problem with the unit you bought.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'd assume OBCM stands for on board charging module. This is the actual charger that converts the AC line to DC to charge the battery pack. It's located on the car, hanging below the left side of the rear bumper.

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/21...harger-6-6kwh-dual-inline-3-3s.html#post11369

The charger on the Karma is limited to 3.3kW, similar to what the first generation Leafs and Volts have. So at most it's going to pull 18A, even if you have a 30A wall unit.

That wall unit (EVSE is the industry term) is not really a charger, just a fancy connector with some safety features. I still think it's worth while to have the higher power unit in case you have some other plug-in vehicle in the future.

Edit to add: Oops, looks like Dennis beat me to the punch.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I will post two pictures when I get a chance of live data while the car is charging on 110 and one charging on 220

·
Registered
50 Posts

How much did your install cost?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts