Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is PISSED! We have to buy tires. The outside 2-3 inches are bald. The center and inside tread is great.

Who wants to buy tires twice a year? Not us!

Fisker says they are building cars that are "environmentally responsible". Since when is producing a car that eats up tires environmentally responsible? Where do used tires go? Land fills? New tires contain several gallons of OIL. So how does contributing to filling land fills with tires twice a year and using several gallons of oil to make tires make environmental sense?

Tires on a luxury car should last at LEAST 18,000 miles. Really, 30,000-40,000 is what most Mercedes and BMW owners can expect.

We've owned some pretty exotic cars and besides the NSX's when they first came out, NO CAR we've owned has chewed tires up like the Karma. We have 6,400 miles and the tires need to be replaced. My wife drives this car to and from the kids school and uses it to go shopping. She's not aggressive in any way, shape or form.

She asked the dealer about it and they didn't know what to say.

She took it to a very reputable tire shop and they said the car is just too heavy for Goodyear F1 Supercar tires.

She called Fisker customer service and the CSR acknowledge the problem and said he's had other customers complaining. He also said that the car is too heavy for the tires and that Fisker is working on a solution.

Back when the Acura NSX first came out they had the alignment so aggressive so they could beat anything Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo had to offer in 1991 that the rear tires would last 2,500 to 6,000 miles. Customers complained, lawsuits were filed, and eventually Honda changed the alignment specs and sent owners coupons for free Yokohama tires. I think each customer got 3 sets of coupon if I recall correctly.

Here's some back-in-time history:
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/22/business/acura-tire-wear-comes-under-fire.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Between my wife and I, we've owned 5 Acura NSX's and with the right alignment, we always got 20,000+ miles from the fronts and 12,000+ out of rears. That's acceptable for a sports car. I have an F430 with 12,900 miles on the original tires and they look like they could go another 5,000 miles. We have a Ford GT with Goodyear F1 Supercar tires and 21,000 miles and the fronts are original, but need to be replaced soon. The rears lasted 15,000 miles. Oh, and the FGT has seen track time on the OEMs. We had a Z06 with the same tires and got many, many miles from the F1's.

The tire is rated for the weight. So I don't buy the "too heavy" theory, but I could be wrong. I think something else is going on. Alignment specs? Ours was in for service and everything checked out. Not sure if they checked alignment, but the car drives straight.

So what do we do?

There is no reason to buy tires twice a year if you drive 12,000-15,000 miles. It's ludicrous.

We tried to get Fisker to help, but the CSR said, "They're working on a solution, but nothing has been handed down to me yet."

We're considering reporting this to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If you would like to make a complaint, here is the link: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

It's very important that owners report issues such as this so that the NHTSA can investigate if Fisker won't.

I'm concerned that some owners aren't aware of the safety issues that develop when tires wear out on the edges. They may see tread on the center and inside and say, "They're fine".

I'm sure some of you will say, "You bought an expensive car, so what if you have to spend $2k a year on tires?" or, "Get over it". But it's not that simple. Any bad PR, like premature tire wear, affects our resale value, therefore Fiskers reputation.

Next week we'll be buying tires. I could have just paid the money and not worried about it. But I really think that a solution is needed and I really don't like the idea of tossing out tires twice a year to fill our landfills.

I'm looking for comments from owners who are getting more or less that we got from tires. What are you seeing?

Thanks!

Bill

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
I have 6500 miles on my Karma and drive aggressively. While the tread is worn on the outer 2 inches, there wasn't much tread there to begin with, so I am not worried. As soon as I see any sign of cord showing, I will immediately replace the tires, but for now they are fine.

As far as NHTSA is concerned, I doubt if they will view excessive tire wear on a $100K sports sedan as a safety issue, which is their purview.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I drive my Karma daily and have 7700 miles on the original tires. I expect I should be able to double that easily based on their condition. Could your alignment be causing wear issues?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I like the environment point!

... but let me say, my wive drives completely different, if the kids are with her... A lot more braking is involved :)

ffcars said:
She took it to a very reputable tire shop and they said the car is just too heavy for Goodyear F1 Supercar tires.
Which alternative did they recommend?

Stefan

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I will pay for shipping on your used tires? Don't let the reputable tire shop keep them.. They are still brand new tires. 2-3" of baldness on the outside of the tire gives it a better hold while cornering.

These tires were supposedly made specifically for the karma.

Pm me.. I would love a new set of tires.. I have 6,000 miles and have tracked the car twice.
They heat up nicely and hold very well

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got word from our dealer who says that Goodyear says this is acceptable wear. Goodyear says the tires were designed to wear out on the sides, but are still fine to drive. Thank God! Now my wife can stop complaining!

Bill

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't know about you blaming your wife's complaining for your diatribe on tire wear. Your damage to Fisker has been done. Couldn't you have waited and spoken with your dealer first?

·
Registered
245 Posts
More rational wives (like mine) just don't "get" why we want a luxury sports car in the first place -- so any potential extra expenses associated with these cars will be used to club us over the head with the insanity of it all ;-)

You just gotta be steadfast in your irrational desires no matter the beating!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
pythagoras said:
More rational wives (like mine) just don't "get" why we want a luxury sports car in the first place -- so any potential extra expenses associated with these cars will be used to club us over the head with the insanity of it all ;-)

You just gotta be steadfast in your irrational desires no matter the beating!
Then there are spouses like mine who say things like: "you work hard, you deserve nice things" when I told her that I wanted to buy a car that would not even be built for another 3 - 4 years.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
ffcars said:
Just got word from our dealer who says that Goodyear says this is acceptable wear. Goodyear says the tires were designed to wear out on the sides, but are still fine to drive. Thank God! Now my wife can stop complaining!

Bill
Bill, I sincerely hope your wife is more easy going than what you portray her to be in this thread and in the "Bad Karma- it left me stranded" thread. If not, then she has a lot in common with my first and thankfully ex wife.
Sigurd

·
Registered
913 Posts
Fabulist said:
Then there are spouses like mine who say things like: "you work hard, you deserve nice things" when I told her that I wanted to buy a car that would not even be built for another 3 - 4 years.
My girlfriend and I both agree that (1) this is a crazy amount to spend for any car and (2) the Karma is totally worth it. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bert Yetman said:
I don't know about you blaming your wife's complaining for your diatribe on tire wear. Your damage to Fisker has been done. Couldn't you have waited and spoken with your dealer first?
Read my first post. We asked the dealer and the service manager didn't have an answer. This new news came only after raising the issue on this board.[hr]
Update: we called Goodyear and the tech we talked to doesn't have any record of this info being normal. In fact he says it is NOT normal fr F1's to wear like this. He suggested going to a Goodyear dealer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My wife didn't even notice the mini compressor attached to the Audi passenger side tire and drove off to the Safeway. When she came back home she didn't say anything. Then when I went into the garage I said hey you realize there was a compressor attached to the car and there is just a wire and bits of plastic left. She said, ya I was wondering why the car was making strange sounds. But it was of course my fault for not removing it after I put air in the tire.

So I assume the tire shop explained that the tires need replacing and not her?

As my father once put it, I don't need an expert stock broker to lose money for me in the stock market, I can do that myself. This pretty much applies to every expert, some professionals know their stuff and others do not.

Just the other day someone commented that my tires need replacing on the Fisker. I have 16000km (9941miles). Everyone is an expert. So long as you don't have cord showing your good. I drove with a flat tire on my 3000gt vr4 for 50km at 80kph (sure I destroyed the rims) but the car handled fine.

The Fisker is a supercar, it will be safer than most cars on the road if all 4 tires are flat. I took the car to the track and it is near impossible to crash with the traction control and ABS.

Anyways your wife and the tire shop obviously don't know S%@

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
My wife is PISSED! We have to buy tires. The outside 2-3 inches are bald. The center and inside tread is great.
Hi ffcars,

This has been discussed a long time ago. It is perfectly normal for the outside to wear smooth. Unless you are worn to your wear-bars, do not replace your tires. I get about 12-15K miles on the tires. So far i've been paying only $175/ea at TireRack.com. But those days may be over.

See drawing from Karma in this thread.
http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/5458-goodyear-eagle-f1-mileage-3.html#post89602

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Hi ffcars,

This has been discussed a long time ago. It is perfectly normal for the outside to wear smooth. Unless you are worn to your wear-bars, do not replace your tires. I get about 12-15K miles on the tires. So far i've been paying only $175/ea at TireRack.com. But those days may be over.

See drawing from Karma in this thread.
http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/5458-goodyear-eagle-f1-mileage-3.html#post89602
Steven, you realize you just quoted and responded to a post made in 2012, yes? "My wife is PISSED!" was one of those "long time ago" posts :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts