Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Fisker in the garage with a cover on it. I know where and how to connect a trickle charger but wondered if the HV battery charger also gave some charge to the 12V battery.

How long have you left the car covered in the garage before the 12V battery was too low? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There are a number of threads discussing this question. For example this one, and this one. There are a lot of helpful posts from actual experts who contribute to this forum.
Try those two links to explain how the system works.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I have the Fisker in the garage with a cover on it. I know where and how to connect a trickle charger but wondered if the HV battery charger also gave some charge to the 12V battery.

How long have you left the car covered in the garage before the 12V battery was too low? Any ideas?
Buy a trickle charger to avoid any problems with the 12 volt system . Plain and simple

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
Buy a trickle charger to avoid any problems with the 12 volt system . Plain and simple
it seems that the battery placement makes it not that simple, unless there are connectors in the engine compartment -- i used the trickle charger when storing for more then a two monhts, and the batteries connections are usually reachable without removing a tire -- there is got to be a better way to make connections easier then jacking up the car? heck on my harley I have to take off the seat and that is a pain -- so i added a connector that sits undernet the seat and accessible -- is there such an animal onne can make for the karma ?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
it seems that the battery placement makes it not that simple, unless there are connectors in the engine compartment -- i used the trickle charger when storing for more then a two monhts, and the batteries connections are usually reachable without removing a tire -- there is got to be a better way to make connections easier then jacking up the car? heck on my harley I have to take off the seat and that is a pain -- so i added a connector that sits undernet the seat and accessible -- is there such an animal onne can make for the karma ?
You need to hard wire you trickle charger it should of comed with two type of connections clamp style and eyelets . Open the fuse box left front near head lamp there is a stud sticking up place the eyelet over the stud and get a 8mm nut 10mm socket size and place the nut over the eyelet and tighten it up you dont need to remove the factory nut unless you dont want to buy one nut .The ground I remove the bolt on the ground wire of the APM thats the module near the firewall with the red cover .Install ground there your all set to charge your battery when you go away .Plain and simple

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have a picture posted somewhere here on the board where I used my quite poor MS Paint skills to show exactly where to attach a trickle charger.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Wow nice charger I bet if you Google it you could save yourself some extra money on it . I find Northern tool sells products out of my budget . And how come the double post I didn't know someone could stutter while posting .

·
Registered
479 Posts
You need to hard wire you trickle charger it should of comed with two type of connections clamp style and eyelets . Open the fuse box left front near head lamp there is a stud sticking up place the eyelet over the stud and get a 8mm nut 10mm socket size and place the nut over the eyelet and tighten it up you dont need to remove the factory nut unless you dont want to buy one nut .The ground I remove the bolt on the ground wire of the APM thats the module near the firewall with the red cover .Install ground there your all set to charge your battery when you go away .Plain and simple
Gee, Harleyguy, why don't you tell him to tear apart the RF wheel liner and attach it to the battery itself? Hmmm, I wonder.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Gee, Harleyguy, why don't you tell him to tear apart the RF wheel liner and attach it to the battery itself? Hmmm, I wonder.
Guess my explanation wasnt simple enough you could always fly in Travis to install it I'm sure he would be more then willing to take on the job

·
Registered
829 Posts
Could somebody give me a good link to the picture of where the grounded terminal should be connected for the trickle charger pigtail that LorMax said he posted?

But, in general, what charges the 12V system (besides the roof)? Does running in stealth mode still turn an alternator to charge the battery? Or, does that only happen in Sport (ICE) mode? If one drives multiple times a week, but mostly always in stealth, and often at night ... is the 12V battery in risk of going flat? How long of a potential sit puts the 12V at risk? Or, would it be a good idea to keep a trickle charger attached regularly?

·
Registered
829 Posts
As I don't see how to delete my prior post, I'll just add this post script that I found the "other" trickle charging post with the photo and it seems to answer my other questions too. So, please disregard! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car is dead

Anyone can help?
My fisker is completely dead after being in the garaga for 2 months. I connected a 12v charger the way described in this forum ( charger connected on positive in the fuse box and negative right next to the red plastic cap under the hood. But still nothing is happening?
Any ideas what to do?
Tnx,
Christophe
New member from Belgium !!

·
Registered
80 Posts
quick related question:

If one disconnects the connection under the hood (the one that is disconnected for a hard reset) ;

1. Will this prolong the life of the 12v battery as there is now no parasitic draw?
2. Good for storing the HV battery long term (say a month or two)?

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey guys I have mine stored in my garage now the solution I found was a good diehard automatic battery maintainer plugged into the cla in the center console. Been working great so far , thoughts on pros and cons to this method ?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Hey guys I have mine stored in my garage now the solution I found was a good diehard automatic battery maintainer plugged into the cla in the center console. Been working great so far , thoughts on pros and cons to this method ?
Not a great idea without going to all kinds of details,about wire gauge amperage and the chance of overheating the wiring your better off just wiring it into the fuse box under the hood . Most good trickle chargers like the one I use come with a pgtail half stays hard wired then all you need to do is open the hood plug the charger side into it and your good to go .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not a great idea without going to all kinds of details,about wire gauge amperage and the chance of overheating the wiring your better off just wiring it into the fuse box under the hood . Most good trickle chargers like the one I use come with a pgtail half stays hard wired then all you need to do is open the hood plug the charger side into it and your good to go .
Here's what I am using - it seems to work but if it's not a good idea I will use the other attachments -- the problem is the distance between the two contact points under the hood is quite far at least from the diagram the lormax put up. Additional thoughts ?

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-6v-12v-battery-charger-and-maintainer/p-02871239000P

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Not sure what picture he put up I use the ground that's on the APM that's the module that has the red cover on it that's close to the firewall best ground to use . All I do is extend the ground wire and if needed splice a larger size eyelet onto the positive and negative cable trust me that's the way you want to go .

·
Registered
304 Posts
I hooked one up the other day - I will take pictures when I get home tonight. It was pretty easy and works.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts