Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused. I thought the Nav system in the Karma was already a TomTom? At least that was the rumor a long time ago, but today Fisker put out a press release announcing a partnership with TomTom:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fisker-chooses-tomtom-to-power-navigation-system-for-worlds-first-premium-electric-vehicle-2012-01-10

Does this mean that the PoS nav system in there now was some temporary placeholder one (god, I hope so)? Or is this just another excuse for Fisker to send out a press release? If this is a new development, will we be getting free updates to this?

-Brian

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
You beat me to it! I hope that was just a placeholder because the NAV (and UI in general) was TERRIBLE! Maybe that's in CC 7.0... and maybe it'll include a voice setting just for NAV.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, remember that they kept telling us that the Nav system in the Roadshow cars was not the real Nav system? I didn't look at the Roadshow one close enough to tell if it's the same as what's in the cars now. But yeah, I really hope the current one isn't the TomTom because what's in there now suuuuucks.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
brian said:
Well, remember that they kept telling us that the Nav system in the Roadshow cars was not the real Nav system? I didn't look at the Roadshow one close enough to tell if it's the same as what's in the cars now. But yeah, I really hope the current one isn't the TomTom because what's in there now suuuuucks.

-Brian
Agree - when are you getting your car back?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SoCalGuy said:
Agree - when are you getting your car back?
who knows... I think my new battery pack arrives today, so if I'm lucky I'll see my car tomorrow, but since this is Fisker-time, we have to multiply by 10, so realistically we're looking at next Friday.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
brian said:
@Brian: I would not get my hopes up since, as I read this press release, Tom Tom is just providing location data to Fisker, not the actual Nav software:

TomTom will provide the Fisker Karma sedan with map and location content covering North America (US and Canada), as well as Europe. The agreement encompasses the core map; Points of Interest; and Voice Maps,
-- Fab.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I did not get the Nav with my EcoStandard. However, it still gives the speed warning voice (no idea how to turn it off). Maybe next software update?

Is there a way to hook up my iphone nav application to the screen? There is got to be a audio/video input somewhere. I may need to find a way to mount my ipad ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Karma 2012 said:
I did not get the Nav with my EcoStandard. However, it still gives the speed warning voice (no idea how to turn it off). Maybe next software update?
@Karma2012: What is the "speed warning voice?" I have never heard of this feature.

-- Fab.

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Please post photos if you have them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Female voice "Please observe the speed limit" or something to that extent. The dealer told me that there will be an update to have the option of turning that off.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Karma 2012 said:
Female voice "Please observe the speed limit" or something to that extent. The dealer told me that there will be an update to have the option of turning that off.
OH man - that sounds like it could get VERY annoying when you're trying to listen to the radio or have a conversation and you trip the speed limit somehow...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, during the short time I had my car and during the short times when the Command Center wasn't locked up I noticed the annoying speed warnings too. Odd thing is that it only did it like once in a while - maybe only once per time that I used the Nav system. Not sure why anyone would want that on... ever.

-Brian

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Fabulist said:
@Karma2012: What is the "speed warning voice?" I have never heard of this feature.
I have driven my Karma for 4 days and exceeded 80 mph all of them, never with the Nav on. I got the speed warning voice only once, while passing through 65 mph in a 55. I was puzzled, and looked through the .pdf of the manual we don't have yet. Nothing in there, but I noticed that if you inflate a flat tire you are supposed to put on a sticker reminding you no to exceed 55 mph. Is it possible that the warning is tied to this action (erroneous in my case)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts