Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else worried about long term availability of tires for the karma?

I ordered two sets just in case, came in today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Tire Rack carries them Goodyear who makes the tires made plenty for Fisker matter of fact the agreed amount wasn't fulfilled .If Tire Rack runs out I'm sure GoodYear will produce more .

·
320 Posts
Anyone else worried about long term availability of tires for the karma?

I ordered two sets just in case, came in today.
Ok, let's not start the panic buying. Like grocery shelves empty before a storm, overstocking on tires will keep someone who needs just 1 or two to keep their are running from getting one, while yours and everyone elaes 8 tires sit unused in the garage. The same goes for mats, touch up paint, parts etc. Let,s not be selfish, or wose yet stock up now and try to sell them on eBay for a profit!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Tires are consumables and should be used asap after manufacturing. It is not advisable to store tires as the rubber hardens.

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's why the DOT date codes them . Tire Rack has plenty in stock
+1.

One should really try and use up those tires within 6 years of manufacture. I'm not sure where that guideline comes from - but I've heard it bandied about in many a car-forum.

Store them somewhere dry and cool (and out of sunlight).

FWIW, I'm also of the opinion that tires are the least of our concerns for parts.

·
320 Posts
+1.

One should really try and use up those tires within 6 years of manufacture. I'm not sure where that guideline comes from - but I've heard it bandied about in many a car-forum.

Store them somewhere dry and cool (and out of sunlight).

FWIW, I'm also of the opinion that tires are the least of our concerns for parts.
What about fisker's fancy glass embedded paint? Has anyone considered that even a minor collision (whether or not body parts need to be replaced) requires some sort of respray? Where will we get the paint from? I cant even get touchup paint anymore. Who wants to play mix and match?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Given the fact that I have 7000 miles on my car and from the wear level it does not look like I will get another 1000 out of them, I will consume these in the next 2 years, not sure if others are seeing this type of wear as I don't really drive the car hard.

From my research it does not appear another manufacture makes them (hope I am wrong), you think Goodyear will manufacture more if needed for only a few cars still on the road?

I am not interested in hoarding items, just like driving the car too much to be without basic items. I plan to drive the Fisker until it dies, and then, let's hope there are options.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
@Travis, I hope you aren't going by the outside rim of the tire alone when you check the wear level.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Given the fact that I have 7000 miles on my car and from the wear level it does not look like I will get another 1000 out of them, I will consume these in the next 2 years, not sure if others are seeing this type of wear as I don't really drive the car hard.

From my research it does not appear another manufacture makes them (hope I am wrong), you think Goodyear will manufacture more if needed for only a few cars still on the road?

I am not interested in hoarding items, just like driving the car too much to be without basic items. I plan to drive the Fisker until it dies, and then, let's hope there are options.
There are no less than 5 manufacturers of tires that fit the Fisker. Goodyear makes the Eagle F1 Supercar tire for several different car brands. You are worried about nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts

You must be looking at the outer edge, which wears out pretty fast. The real wear indicators are inside the grooves on the main body of the tire. I have over 17000 highway miles on my Karma's original tires and there is still plenty of rubber above the wear indicators. They will make it easily past 20K miles. Unless you are drifting your Karma, you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
What about fisker's fancy glass embedded paint? Has anyone considered that even a minor collision (whether or not body parts need to be replaced) requires some sort of respray? Where will we get the paint from? I cant even get touchup paint anymore. Who wants to play mix and match?

Sadly, I have a little experience with this. The news is actually very good.

I have a Diamond Dust "Deep Ocean" Karma and I managed to rub a parked car (at my dealership, BTW) and got a small dent on a quarter panel. They were able to pop out the dent but it required a repaint of the body panel. The dealer tried it and wasn't happy with the result so they brought in a guy from DuPont and they redid it. It is *perfect*. You would honestly never know there was an issue. Since the paint is DuPont, and they are in zero danger of going out of business, I think we're in fine shape. As far as I know, the dealer fixed it without relying on Fisker Automotive at all.

Brent

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Paint comes from DuPont you won't have any problems getting paint the Body Shop needs to get it direct from DuPont it's custom mixed .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good info from everyone appreciate the input. Does anyone have an idea on some extra parts we should be trying to get our hands on?

Well for the future I have a couple extra sets of tires if anyone needs them :)

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Parts is all up to you one thing I think will be a problem is any interior parts that wear out . It's really hard to say what you will need I figure it this way if the car has over 5K on it and things are going good it should stay that way . I all ready know of one salvage yard that has a Karma in stock and his looking for more . Please don't ask where it is I'am all ready trying to get pictures of the car in desperate need of parts I need that's been in the body shop for two months now . Had one part left so we could get it back together that part was coming out of New Jersey from the hurricane cars before Fisker closed

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can anybody make a picture of the wear indicators? I am not sure if I am looking on the right place. Thank you.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
9300 miles of spirited driving (left front).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One item I would think is important is the firmware and programmer to flash the car, mine was in storage all winter (plugged in to 240volt / not 12 volt) side and it lost all its programming.

Needed to be reprogrammed by the dealer, but they are telling me now they don't have access to Fisker firmware site any longer.

Harleyguy, what city are in? probably just have to send my car to you when there are issues. haha

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
That's not true Travis the update software the current one 510 is stored locally on the work shop tool and Fiskers web site was still up as of today . Even if the site goes down the software can be installed .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts