Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've hit the 3000 mile mark, I can't help but notice how worn my tires, especially on the front, now look. I remember someone saying we should only expect about 6000 miles for the set, but still, this much wear after only 3000 seems extreme to me. How's everyone else looking? Anyone on their second set yet?

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Richard Carnes said:
Now that I've hit the 3000 mile mark, I can't help but notice how worn my tires, especially on the front, now look. I remember someone saying we should only expect about 6000 miles for the set, but still, this much wear after only 3000 seems extreme to me. How's everyone else looking? Anyone on their second set yet?
I have 5000 miles and spoke to my dealer about this. He pointed out the design of the Goodyear Eagles has little tread patterning in the outer two inches of the tire. As a result, that portion of the tire, especially the fronts, tend to look more worn than they are. Looking at the tread closer to the center, I expect I will get about 10,000 miles from a set.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have nearly 6000 miles on my tires. They are fine and should go well over 10,000. It would seem driving styles and pavement types would affect the tires, as with any vehicle. The more aggressive one drives (and that is fun in the Fisker), the more wear placed on the tires. The tires on my Audi Q7 generally only get about 15,000 miles for the set. I average over 18,000, typically driving highway miles around Atlanta. Maybe it is a sign of "age". lol

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
A friend of mine commented on that too and I agree with Dennis' assessment of the difference in tread depth on the edges.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My car had same extensive front outside wear. Dealer noticed this at about 2200 miles and did an alignment check only to discover the front was quite out of spec. Said I may have hit a pot hole (negative on that),had to pay for the adjustment, but since then the wear seems to be more normal.

Also, one has to remember, this car loves to be thrown into curves and leave others behind in the dust, which doesn't help front tire wear. I've changed my driving style a bit to slow down before the corners and accelerate out of them. Now, I'm hoping to see 6000 miles before I "have to" get new front tires. :cool:

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
My tires are bald on the outer 3 inches. I am concerned that my alignment is toed out. I have had several comments from people and mechanics that it is not right for them to be so worn. I am at 4500 miles, but the back tires are fine, and the inside of the front tires look fine. but the edge is slick with no lines of tread left. I am not that aggressive! Why didn't Fisker put run flats on this car? Has anyone tried a different tire?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Run flats tend to ride poorly and are heavier. I've replaced them on my M3 with standard tires and the ride is noticeably better with no apparent loss of stick. I don't expect the replacements to last any longer (12000miles).

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
375 Posts
I suspect that I have purchased new front tires a little prematurely. I have put about 6000 miles on these tires and they became very worn on the outside. The car was starting to drift to the right and I thought it was alignment. The alignment was pretty much in-spec and even after getting it dead-right, the car was still drifting to the right. After replacing the tires, the car is straight and true.

Do note that the tires are swapped around in the photo, but the wear really was on the outside. Such a shame, as you can see the remainder of the tire had plenty of life left in it.

Reading the thread, it seems that 6k miles is pretty-much the standard - right?

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
I suspect that I have purchased new front tires a little prematurely. I have put about 6000 miles on these tires and they became very worn on the outside. The car was starting to drift to the right and I thought it was alignment. The alignment was pretty much in-spec and even after getting it dead-right, the car was still drifting to the right. After replacing the tires, the car is straight and true.

Do note that the tires are swapped around in the photo, but the wear really was on the outside. Such a shame, as you can see the remainder of the tire had plenty of life left in it.

Reading the thread, it seems that 6k miles is pretty-much the standard - right?

see this thread

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/81682-post27.html

Looks like your goodyears are wearing normally and has plenty of life left. That looks like normal shoulder wear (which is normal for the F1's on the Karma)

Also check alignment with the Hunter (I think hawkeye) machine? PITA to but find a shop that can do at least check the specs. The settings are preset into the alignment rack

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had same issue and took to the Cadillac dealer with Hunter alignment machine and specs for car in machine and the car was out of alignment by a lot on all four wheels. this was not noticed when driving due to weight of the vehicle other than seeing the wear especial in the front on each outside tread area.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you're not driving like a hooligan, you should get 10-13000 miles a set. The outside of the fronts will "look" worn, but they're fine (generally) as long as the first deep tread is above the "wear bars" embedded in there. If you feel down the groove of the first major tread and hit a "bump" in the tread every so often, those are the wear bars. As long as those bars are below the level of the tire, you have life.

It is important to keep them filled with air religiously if you want them to make it to 13K. You're resting 5200 lbs on these tires. And, having one tire low on pressure can cause drift in my experience.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Also, what strikes me about the picture above is that the right wheel tire is pictured on the left side & vice-versa. Unless somebody mounted your tires backwards on the rims. Tell me that the "decorative" sides of the wheels above are facing each other in the middle ... !

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
see this thread

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/81682-post27.html

Looks like your goodyears are wearing normally and has plenty of life left. That looks like normal shoulder wear (which is normal for the F1's on the Karma)

Also check alignment with the Hunter (I think hawkeye) machine? PITA to but find a shop that can do at least check the specs. The settings are preset into the alignment rack
I have never seen a Karma that was close to being within specs. They all have a slow drift to the right worst than any car I've driven or aligned . Not one car is alike when it comes to alignment I've spent hours trying to get it in spec without a pull after doing the alignment at this point if the car doesn't have a pull I adjust the toe and ship the car .

I had same issue and took to the Cadillac dealer with Hunter alignment machine and specs for car in machine and the car was out of alignment by a lot on all four wheels. this was not noticed when driving due to weight of the vehicle other than seeing the wear especial in the front on each outside tread area.
The specs are also located in the owners manual. The outside wear is normal and not an alignment issue.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
375 Posts
So I seem to have replaced my tires prematurely (oh well, lesson learned). The irony is that it was an official Goodyear Tire outlet that did my alignment and alerted me to my "slicks"...

And yes, as noted in my original post, the tires are reversed in the picture.

Simon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts