Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Firstly, let me apologize ( I am sorry gents) to those of you who are advertising winter tire sets for the Fisker, i.e. the old Yokohama tires that were sold as winter tires for the Fisker 4 or so years ago. You will not like what I am about to say, but it has to be said as it is both a safety and also an economics issue like wasting money. Tires are not like wine......they don't get better with age. Also, the mere fact that tires are so called new and have sat in someone's garage for several years and not used does not mean that they are indeed suitable to be used after so many years or that they are fit for purpose. Tires do have a shelf life of sorts, and the rubber ages and gets harder with each year that passes. Even though it may look good and brand new or only used one season, it may well be unsuitable for its purpose and may cause a safety issue, and the tire is past its sell by date. As for winter tires, it is worse as you really don't want hardened winter tires, which means they act more like summer or All Season tires. I have talked to a lot of tire people and tire shops over the years even when I have replaced or thinking of replacing several sets of my own tires over the years. The general rule of thumb is 4 years regardless of use or a lot less depending on the use. Below is a link to a real good unbiased article and I recommend everyone to read it for education if nothing else. Again, I apologize to those trying to sell old (or new old) 4 year old tires. They may well be junk and not worth a cent. By the way, I am and have never been in the tire business but I am very safety conscious. I am sure a lot of people don't know the ins and outs of tires, including those advertising old tires for sale. Link is below. As per the article many tire manufacturers reclaim unsold tires after two years. Why? They don't want the liability. Make up your own mind:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...d-carefully-beyond-five-years/article1358907/

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Suggest one never buys used tires. Each tire has a date "code". It is even a good practice to determine the date code on New Tires when purchased (they could have been in a warehouse for years--especially with low sales volume sizes like Fiskers). The last four digits of the manufacturers code are the week and year of manufacturer; ie: xxxxxx5107 would be the 51st week of 2007 date of manufacture--See the reference page from Tire Rack.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...codes&ef_id=VbRcfwAAAAkCA9XG:20150903135141:s

One possible solution for those needing winter tires is to switch to the Yokohoma 22 ALL the time. See the thread here recommending Yoko's over the Goodyear summer tires for various reasons. I am awaiting my replacement Yoko's now and will use them permanently in the 22 sizes.

You are correct, some people were injured due to "old" tires from warehouses being installed. There is a real liability... just ask SEARS.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for supporting my post. I am sure those selling their 4 year old (so called new old stock) tires on this site don't really know the ins and outs of tires that well, so I hope they read these posts and remove their offers. Those tires being offered are likely past their sell by dates or will be in a year's time making them a waste of money to purchase and a safety issue for whomever buys them. A shop would not be able to offer them legally for sale. What's really surprising is that people call these new when they have sat in a garage for 4 years. Hello guys!!!!!!!!!!??????? They're not new. They're older than old!. They're basically garbage. Throw them out and don't advertise them on this site please. Some unsuspecting poor bugger who knows nothing about tires is likely to get enticed by your old tires. Not fair!.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here's a thought though: Goodyear stopped manufacturing the F1 tires years ago, so any time you can find that tire, it is years old too. This has nothing to do with selling used tires, but it's just food for thought on a larger issue.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Exactly @non-sequitur. G-Year doesn't and haven't made the F1 Super tire in some time. So any are at least 2 years old. Change to the Yoko's. Awaiting mine. They were back ordered and even Tire Rack only has 3 Yoko's for the front in stock and awaiting a new shipment. So no need to change from the Good Year to Yoko's for the winter or change rims for those in the north tundra.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for this info. My F1s are getting a little closer to replacement and I will make sure no one fobs me off with the GY F1 tire under the guise of new. This whole tire business seems like a scam with tires being offered for sale that are years old, etc. People need to watch out and be very careful. Yokos are great tires. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Early Adopter
1,256 Posts
I have a set sealed in Plastic and do not plan to sell them -- sounds like they may be collector items - I guess I could put them on then car when my car gets bought from some collector or museum 20+ years from now - image a clean car with original tires ;-)

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Always, always, always check the date code on your tires. Regardless of the brand. Never know when a tire dealer/wholesaler is dumping stock.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You said it sir. 2+ years old, don't touch'em. Steer clear regardless of the deal.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Are dealers not selling "new" 2012 Fiskers with 3-4 year old tires?
In Germany, TUV (a tough yearly inspection) will not approve tires over 10 years old.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
not sure if dealers have any stock. None in ATL. Always check the tires on a used car however. I am driving on 2011 manufactured F1 as are most Fisker owners. I understood that Good Year only made a single run -- 42 week of 2011. My tire dealer is putting on Yoko's next week. He said the Good Year F1 are no longer available any way.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some tire shops have stock for sure. They call them new but they're really old new stock or new old stock. Rule of thumb: 3/4 years old or older, steer clear regardless of what anyone says. The rubber goes through aging process and hardens even further making it like a hockey pock. No more than 2 years old, that should be your goal, never mind what the dealer or tire guys say.

·
Registered
192 Posts
At the Ft. Worth "Meet & Greet" I was told that 119 "new" Fiskers had just been released from a warehouse in Finland, and that 80 of these cars would get updated and shipped to the USA. Surely, those cars would have 2012 or earlier, tires.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Interesting. I thought the last Karma's were lost in Sandy floods on the east coast. I am sure Waxiang will do the right updates. Most likely the 42nd week 2011 production run.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! Interesting. One issue I do have is with the owners being Chinese. I have nothing against the Chinese but they are a little (to say the least) lacking in quality, so remains to be seen how quality standards are generally upheld including recalls, safety issues, etc. China is the largest manufacturer of counterfit parts for anything and any industry under the sun. Time will tell, but I would have been happier if the owners were non Chinese to be honest.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yoko's? I've got plenty...lol
BTW for what it's worth I wouldn't put the F1's on even if they had yesterdays manufacture date on them...
Are those all spoken for? I need a front set of Yokohamas. I can get rears, but Yokohama says the front size is on a national back order. Available maybe November or December. Waiting to hear back from Frank Kent to see if they have a stack like you have.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
@PKB... I had the Front Yoko's installed 2 weeks ago. They were back ordered for 30 days, but filled out of the Yoko warehouse in St. Louis. They should be available right now. BTW, I did check the date codes... they were newly manufactured.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts