Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when I was at my dealers to get 6.28 installed I met a Fisker factory service person. I mentioned to him that it would be a real nice feature if you could set the charge start time in order to take advantage of TOU electric service schedules and the lower rates that are available during low demand times. For me this is from midnight to 7:00am. I mentioned that the Karma contains the charger and certainly knows what time it is so with a little software it should be able to provide this function. He thought this was an excellent idea and said that he would bring it up with the factory.

·
Registered
854 Posts
marswill said:
He thought this was an excellent idea and said that he would bring it up with the factory.
He should, pretty much every other plug-in vehicle already has that feature.

They should be able to do it just with software. Maybe add the feature in as they deal with the fan issue.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
doug said:
marswill said:
He thought this was an excellent idea and said that he would bring it up with the factory.

They should be able to do it just with software. Maybe add the feature in as they deal with the fan issue.
It's a pretty obvious feature, really and should have been in the software from day one. I had to buy a much more expensive 220V EVSE to get that feature. If the car could be programmed to control the charging start and stop times, I could have saved 50% by buying a simpler EVSE, or even tried to qualify for one of the free ones.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fabulist said:
doug said:
marswill said:

It's a pretty obvious feature, really and should have been in the software from day one. I had to buy a much more expensive 220V EVSE to get that feature. If the car could be programmed to control the charging start and stop times, I could have saved 50% by buying a simpler EVSE, or even tried to qualify for one of the free ones.
Standard issue in the Chevy Volt. Fisker should get this feature programmed ASAP.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone used a hi-capacity wall timer that would turn the power ON and Off for preset hours that could match with TOU rates? The 110 volt charging extension cable/plug delivered w/car in 12/2011 says 'disconnect from Karma first or it may possibly cause a fault'. Is that "old news" or still valid? I did do it once with no issues.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Has anyone used a hi-capacity wall timer that would turn the power ON and Off for preset hours that could match with TOU rates? The 110 volt charging extension cable/plug delivered w/car in 12/2011 says 'disconnect from Karma first or it may possibly cause a fault'. Is that "old news" or still valid? I did do it once with no issues.
Not the same thing, but I had a power failure at my temporary apartment (during house rebuild) that stopped a 120-volt "convenience charger" charge in mid-charge. The blinky LEDs on the large black box indicated a fault and I had to unplug everything and restart the charge.

I think the key word there is "may", it may cause a fault, or it may not. There are no promises.

If you get the Fisker-branded Blink (240-volt) charger, it will do TOU for you. Of course that's the expensive solution....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts