Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the forum hoping to receive input from current and past owners.

What are the problem issues? If you had it to do over again, would you buy a Fisker again?

Is the Fisker able to be charged at a Tesla supercharging station?

Are there after market warranties available for Fiskers?

What is the real world mpg stats for a long drive ( 500 miles or more) ?

I live in Southern Caifornia. Are there service centers that are able to diagnosis the problems and parts available to perform corrective services?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My personal opinion to your questions:

Many problems since purchase in 2011, No

Not at this moment.

Yes, I believe there was a post on after market warranties that some members have purchased.

I would say 25-30 mpg if driving after a full charge for 500 miles.

Diagnosis yes, corrective services maybe.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
996 Posts

What are the problem issues? If you had it to do over again, would you buy a Fisker again?
Many problems more problems as the cars age. A few new problems on one of my cars popped up recently that were quite scary so I will not drive my car much anymore. Depends what you want in a vehicle. There are a lot of compromises in the car but it is a good looking car.

Only the Model S can be charged there no other cars, my advice is to buy a Tesla. If you are looking for a cheap alternative to the Tesla the Karma is not it.

No, only a warranty company in the business of losing money would warrant the Karma. The manufacturer themselves will not warrant the car lol.

22-26mpg

I live in Southern Caifornia. Are there service centers that are able to diagnosis the problems and parts available to perform corrective services?
Fisker Santa Monica is the authorized dealer in the area. Depends on the part but most parts are still available.

Question for you: Why do you want to buy a Karma? What will you use it for? If you are looking for a car to road trip in the Karma is not a very good car to do that in. If you work a few miles from home and want to use it as a DD chances are it will be ok for that purpose. But why?

·
Registered
79 Posts
guys. I little more optimistic please. The question is: why do you need a car? If it's just for going from A to B don't buy a car, buy a bus-ticket. If you want to have a cheap car don't buy a Fisker. If you want to have a car with non issues at all don't buy a Fisker.
If you want to have a vehicle to drive from A to B but not being dependent on it, with a lot of fun, a lot of attraction, with a lot of discussions with a lot of people, and doing something very good for our environment, than buy a Fisker. Beside all the issues you will have you will also have a lot of fun. And I am very optimistic that the new Fisker will come up-to-speed soon and a lot of our today's issues will be resolved. And than we will become pioneers :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's the spirit Rabbit! My impression is that most owners are very happy. The concern is that you don't about the future but hey, how many thinks about that when buying for example a boat for the same price...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought one. has 17k miles. Have had it for 3-4 weeks and put about 800 miles on it as a DD. work is 14 miles from home and most days I do not use gas. I am getting about 130 mpg.

I am completely satisfied with the car ... power is sufficient, the ride is excellent and the attention you get is off the charts.

It has a really nice interior, and frankly only the most picky people will have anything negative to say about it.

Since I haven't had any issues with my vehicle, I can't speak to the experience of trying to get it serviced. I live in north Florida so I imagine for serious issues, it would sit in the garage until I can get an expert in to deal with it. I do have an extra car in the garage, though not because I have a fisker, its because my wife has a minivan and she wanted a small convertible to drive when not with kids.

I went into this with both eyes open, did my research, and will not be freaked out if and when things go awry. I am also optimistic that fisher will be restarted.

In the meantime I'm just enjoying the car.... and there is a lot to enjoy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love you vikasrij: Just my words :)
We will become pioneers! An will have a lot of fun until then

·
Fisker Driver
79 Posts
ok, a few more cents… I bought mine in May 2012. I've got about 18k miles on it. I've had all the factory 'recall' issues fixed. Except for the low front panel and the rims scraping on a curb here and there, mine is working great. I use it daily and can't imagine driving something else right now. And I drive it in the rain, sun, snow(it doesn't do well in the snow)…:) I bought it when the company was alive and have lived through the bk etc. Maybe I'm a lucky one?? But, I can't find any reason to sell it right now. People still video me on the freeway and follow me into parking lots. As the previous posts state, you have to know why you're buying it. It's a unique car for a unique experience.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought mine with about 12k on it in October/November of last year. I now have about 16k on it.

The biggest problem I have had is that I lost a key - although Lormax will sort me out soon.

My work is about 13 miles away so most days I don't use gas. My real world all electric range is about 35-42

I disagree about it not being a road trip car - on a trip from San Diego to vegas, and San Diego to Phoenix it was great. I averaged exactly 27mpg.

The biggest problem : everyone asks about it. If you are a little but introvert expect to have to respond to people or seem like a a-hole if you don't. Certainly do a pre-inspection.

The tesla is a great car (I won't bash it) and while I certainly could have afforded it - ultimately bought the Karma - set aside a little fund for issues - although nothing has shown up. Also look at the I8 and ELR - I am still glad I purchased the karma.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts

@65 fi, Did you get your questions answered? Do you have any follow-up questions, or did we scare you off?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Recent Owner Perspective

65fi,

I purchased my Karma used with just under 1,200 miles in March of this year. My answers below in RED:

What are the problem issues? I'll defer to the most experienced posters and techs like Lormax, Harley Guy, FiskerPhilly, etc. In my research before buying the Karma, some areas to research on potential Karmas you may buy include the HV batteries, the differential, and the muffler. There is also a "buyers checklist" on one of the sticky threads. Note that these are potential issue areas, not guaranteed issue areas. Some folks will suggest trying to find a higher VIN Karma, but this forum proves there are original owners with lower VINs that actively drive their Karmas and haven't had major issues.

If you had it to do over again, would you buy a Fisker again? I think this answer has a couple major perspectives:

Perspective #1 - The folks who bought Karmas before Fisker Automotive went bankrupt. One would expect lots of owners to have bailed on their Karmas once FA went out of business. The fact that so many didn't, and still post on and read these forums is a strong testament to how they feel about the Karma. It was a big reason why I elected to buy the Karma.

Perspective #2 - The folks who have bought or will buy their Karma since FA went out of business (e.g. like you potentially). In general, there is currently no warranty on the car, so you have to decide if that's something you are comfortable dealing with. It took me about 4 weeks to get comfortable with the risks, and I've never looked back. As other posters have said, the most reasonable mindset is to go into Karma ownership knowing there may be issues and mentally prepare yourself that there may be some out-of-pocket repair costs. My specific situation is limited to 7 weeks of ownership - I don't have any regrets and still love the car as much as the day I bought it, if not more.

I purchased my Karma in Newport Beach and after another day in town, I then drove it home to Phoenix in Sport Mode. So I drove about 550 miles in Sport Mode, and the mpg averaged 25. My personal feeling is don't buy the Karma just based on gas mileage as the battery only range is limited compared to other pure EVs and PHEVs. For what it's worth, I've driven about another 550 miles in the 7 weeks since getting back to Phoenix. Those 7 weeks have all been in Stealth Mode on battery power with no gas used. So my total MPG average since I bought the car is up to 58mpg, which includes the gas miles driven in Sport Mode from Newport.

I live in Southern Caifornia. Are there service centers that are able to diagnosis the problems and parts available to perform corrective services? Here's where I think you have an advantage over lots of other Karma owners. Travis Richardson (aka Lormax) lives in LA. So you have a former Fisker technician whose sole focus is a business servicing and repairing Fisker Karmas. No plane flights required for you to get Travis to look at your car. Living in Phoenix, easy access to a technician to service and repair the Karma was one of my primary concerns. If it were me personally in your shoes, this would be less of a concern with Travis being so close to where you live. It's a fair question to ask though, since we don't know if/how/when Wanxiang will restart the dealer network.

Hope the above helps - I'm happy to discuss more if you're interested. Feel free to PM me in that case.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Karma is not for the faint hearted! I do 45 miles on battery at the most.
Note that the Chapter 11 work-out is not completely done yet legally. So I would not expect the new Fisker organization under Wang re-launch service, parts etc, until the scenery is set in stone.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
65 fi,

You're in Southern California. I'd be happy to do a pre-purchase inspection for any vehicle you become interested in. Feel free to PM me here or contact me through my website. Good luck on the search!

·
320 Posts
Note that the Chapter 11 work-out is not completely done yet legally. So I would not expect the new Fisker organization under Wang re-launch service, parts etc, until the scenery is set in stone.
From what source do you base this information?

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
From what source do you base this information?
Eric,

If you're referring to the Chapter 11 case it is still very much an active and ongoing activity. I am listed as a creditor so I receive all of the notices and filings to the court. I receive these regularly, including one as recent as yesterday alerting me of a hearing on June 9th for the bankruptcy judge to consider a couple of motions from the debtors (the old Fisker corporations). I'm not a lawyer but this strikes me as the formalities and hoops that a BK case would go through. While I expect that the BK will proceed smoothly I do agree with Landodder that until the final rulings are made the New Fisker will be able to plan and prepare but won't be able to pull the trigger on everything.

Brent

1 - 20 of 25 Posts