Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 9pm on a Saturday night and my Fisker is ready to prowl the streets. My GF and I jump in and start to cruise down this poorly lit 2 lane road which I have driven a lot. Bam, boom, pop! A double pop hole and a flat tire, SOB!

I role into a QT station a few hundred yards away and the outside tread is slashed up...tire is toast! Long story short, my tire shop IS NOT open on Sundays. So I take a chance and tow it to a place that is. I role into this place on Sunday and he says I don't carry 22"s. So I say F it and tow it to Kaufman and I will just wait it out knowing they have the F1 tire and I get the hook up their anyway.

I get 2 front tires, so they have the same tread, but when he replaces the passenger side (that's the one that got slashed) it snaps the TPS sensor. Which he doesn't have the code to update the new TPS to read my Fisker. Now I have the TPS warning light on.

QUESTION
Can I fix this myself using this?

Otherwise I guess I have to go to the Fisker shop, will they charge me to do this?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Oh I feel so sorry!
And I don't think that any other tool but the Fisker one can do this...

Sorry!

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
At least you're in a city with a CSP provider. Classic Cadillac/Subaru/Fisker has the tools and can reset the TPMS for you.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
QUESTION
Can I fix this myself using this?

Otherwise I guess I have to go to the Fisker shop, will they charge me to do this?
You need to go to the CSP. The OBDII scanner has nothing to do with this.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Is there demand for a stand alone device to program TPMS ids to the VCM? We could probably create that separately as a standalone device to plug into the OBD port. You would still need to buy the ATEQ device to query the TPMS sensors we could provide a device to program the TPMS id's to the VCM. Seems like an odd-ball scenario where a normal person wouldn't need this capability at home? Obviously our infotainment system will have this built in. If there is demand for a standalone device perhaps we will develop one.

I have such a device for my Tesla Roadster and I love it because that thing seems to have Alzheimer's with regards to remembering which id's are which and I constantly have to re-program them. Would actually prefer to disable the TPMS which I may do at some point as I religiously check my tire pressure every few weeks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is there demand for a stand alone device to program TPMS ids to the VCM? We could probably create that separately as a standalone device to plug into the OBD port. You would still need to buy the ATEQ device to query the TPMS sensors we could provide a device to program the TPMS id's to the VCM. Seems like an odd-ball scenario where a normal person wouldn't need this capability at home? Obviously our infotainment system will have this built in. If there is demand for a standalone device perhaps we will develop one.

I have such a device for my Tesla Roadster and I love it because that thing seems to have Alzheimer's with regards to remembering which id's are which and I constantly have to re-program them. Would actually prefer to disable the TPMS which I may do at some point as I religiously check my tire pressure every few weeks.
I am sure there is a latent demand since most owners are just coming to the point of replacing TPMS' which typically have a 4-5yr life and the Karma dealer/Fisker CSP network is near non-existent that will be able to help. I assume many owners who have swapped tires and needed TPMS in the past just opted to leave off TPMS' since they could not be programmed or just waited until something significant happened and their car went to a CSP.

Definitely make it a feature on the infotainment system (read and program) as this will be an issue.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I hope he resplaced it with a Fisker tpms . The TPMS they used is an odd ball one that's used in the Automotive industry he was based on a European Hyundai

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I hope he resplaced it with a Fisker tpms . The TPMS they used is an odd ball one that's used in the Automotive industry he was based on a European Hyundai
I guess I will find out. The tire shop said it was programmable. I called them and they said I would have to bring the car in so they could read the serial number to tell me what TPMS it is.

·
Registered
888 Posts

If you could tell me more, I could go and find a Hyundai dealer and try whether they can play around with my TPMS.

BTW how are the TPMS getting powered up? If they are sending signals to the car, how does this work? Do they somehow convert the movement into power?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Found a dealer, selling TPMS for Hyundai... http://www.reifen-schreiber.de/shop...Fahrzeug/HYUNDAI/H1_Travel_(TQ)_ab_Bj._11_07/
For Hyundai, they only list one model, which would fit into the first productions of the Karma, as thy are of 2007.

There is also a picture.

They are describing the process as such:
They have to read the IDs using their tool and a Hyundai dealer has to ODB them into the Hyundai system.
...sounds similar to our Karma process
They are adding a note where they could clone the TPMS' ID: they can mod the ID of the new TPMS, to use the ID of the TPMS, the car knows at that position, so the car would accept the new module without complaining...

Does this sound reasonable to you?
If so, we all should get our TPMS IDs read for future use in new modules...

They also name their tool for it: TECH400 or TECH500

They sell the modules for €50

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
BTW how are the TPMS getting powered up? If they are sending signals to the car, how does this work? Do they somehow convert the movement into power?
From the Wikipedia article on TPMS:

The majority are powered by batteries which limit their useful life. Some sensors utilise a wireless power system similar to that used in RFID tag reading which solves the problem of limited battery life by electromagnetic induction. This also increases the frequency of data transmission up to 40 Hz and reduces the sensor weight

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The sensor is a Korean spec Hyundai Santa Fe. Not easy to find. You need the Fisker scan tool to put the car (vcm) into learn mode then ping the sensor with a unique Ateq brand TPMS tool that was specifically programmed to ping the correct MHZ of these sensors. There are a few aftermarket TPMS tools that will activate them but still need the dealer scan tool to put car in learn mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts