Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What on earth is that LOUD almost deafening howl that I just heard coming from the rear of the car? It seemed like it was coming from the rear speaker, but clearly it couldn't be. Is this the dreaded differential or rdm issue?

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Most likely the motor splines stripped where they connect to the RDM if they were not previously changed to the hardened splines.

CSP's chime in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the car slow down/stop accelerating or any warning lights?
It happened just as I was backing out of the driveway. Conditions were rainy. I didn't see any warning light. I don't think it affected my throttle or acceleration, but I was so taken back by the sound that I didn't push the throttle...I just drove very slowly from the driveway and drove to a friends house 1 km away.

I then shut the car off.

And restarted 1 hour later and it didn't make that sound.

I have heard grinding in the past.

I don't think the car has soft splines but I'm sure it probably needs a rework.

The sound was unbelievably loud...a low frequency hum.

Come to think of it, I've been hearing more "exhaust-like" rumbling sounds as of late, but they usually come from the front and side of the car.

This new LOUD TONE came from the rear seats.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sounds like the CIU is possibly shorting out. When this happens you can get excruciating loud feedback from the center subwoofer in the rear shelf. It will make a thumping digital sound that changs with vehicle speed. The rainy conditions lean me to think you have water leaking into it. If it happens again lower the rear deck panel in the trunk by removing the plastic clips. Reach in and unplug the center speaker, see if it stops.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the CIU is possibly shorting out. When this happens you can get excruciating loud feedback from the center subwoofer in the rear shelf. It will make a thumping digital sound that changs with vehicle speed. The rainy conditions lean me to think you have water leaking into it. If it happens again lower the rear deck panel in the trunk by removing the plastic clips. Reach in and unplug the center speaker, see if it stops.
The way you described, that is precisely what it is. It makes perfect sense as I know that my CIU has been exposed to water in the past and has messed up my NAV. Thank you FiskerPhilly for your input. Much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts