Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surpised no chatter on yesterday's email from KA and Revero. I got the new email from KA with Revero video and pics and pre-order invite.

The most intersting note is the car being "powered by the roof" has the tech evolved to a point where the roof panels can generate a enough energy?

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Surpised no chatter on yesterday's email from KA and Revero. I got the new email from KA with Revero video and pics and pre-order invite.

The most intersting note is the car being "powered by the roof" has the tech evolved to a point where the roof panels can generate a enough energy?

In the wired video the Karma executive claimed it was a 200W panel which will likely translate at [email protected] ~350-400V. This is not taking into consideration the losses with Boost/Buck Conversion and panel losses.

Basically around 3 miles a day of generation with 8 hours of direct sunlight.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
The new panels are a theoretical 200W versus the current 125W, neither or which are much in terms of real-world usefulness, but it is a nice talking point, and the Revero has better story than the current Karma's. In the Karma the solar roof only charges the 12V hoteling system, in the Revero it will directly charge the main HV battery.

·
1,172 Posts
The new panels are a theoretical 200W versus the current 125W, neither or which are much in terms of real-world usefulness, but it is a nice talking point, and the Revero has better story than the current Karma's. In the Karma the solar roof only charges the 12V hoteling system, in the Revero it will directly charge the main HV battery.

The APM currently on the 2012 Karma is bi-directional and has the capability to do this exact function. A function that was never implemented in the 2012 car but can be done relatively easily.

http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=DelphiDCDC

http://media3.ev-tv.me/DelphiUserManual.pdf

In my opinion, I think if you park your car in the hot sun for more than a few hours the interior will be so hot that any energy that was collected from the solar panels will be immediately used by the HVAC system. At least this is the case in warmer climates.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
I was going to guess 5 miles a day. Forget the roof, unless it's see through! The grill is awesome!!! I want it!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the wired video the Karma executive claimed it was a 200W panel which will likely translate at [email protected] ~350-400V. This is not taking into consideration the losses with Boost/Buck Conversion and panel losses.

I doubted it would be much, but this is worse than expected. The function will be grilled by the auto press when they write it up. It is basically useless if you park in a home garage and at a parking garage at work, which most people driving >$100k cars tend to do (dont wnat the sun beating your car).

More of a gimmick than real capability or real funtionality...too bad

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I doubted it would be much, but this is worse than expected. The function will be grilled by the auto press when they write it up. It is basically useless if you park in a home garage and at a parking garage at work, which most people driving >$100k cars tend to do (dont wnat the sun beating your car).

More of a gimmick than real capability or real funtionality...too bad
You could always rig a solar-powered sun lamp over your Karma/Revero in the garage. Alternatively, you could get a car cover with a solar panel sized hole in the top and start parking your car outside in the sun. :confused:

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
I was going to guess 5 miles a day. Forget the roof, unless it's see through! The grill is awesome!!! I want it!
i wonder if they will provide the option of a moon rood instead of a solar roof .

·
Registered
829 Posts
Notice that they took off most of the chrome accents. No diamonds on the bumpers, and the door handles are painted the same as the rest of the car. The grill is nice. I think I like my stock Fisker wheels better.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Notice that they took off most of the chrome accents. No diamonds on the bumpers, and the door handles are painted the same as the rest of the car. The grill is nice. I think I like my stock Fisker wheels better.

On the picture at the top of this thread, chrome parts are still at their regular places.
To which picture do you refer to?

·
Registered
829 Posts
No. The top of the door holes is red, not chrome. Also, in the video of the back, I didn't see the chrome diamonds -- though the light was low, so ... not 100% on that. But the door holes above are 100% red. My car has silver chrome accents above the door handle holes. And, that red is not nearly as nice as my Inferno!

·
Registered
859 Posts
The Jaguar XK8 convertible (circa 1997) is still among the most beautiful cars in the world. (Yesterday I saw a rich red XK8 convertible with a beige interior that looked like the Sunset from a distance.) Although more recent Jag designs are attractive, they don't beat the original classic.

Revero designers mostly retained the the world-class look of the original 2012. Although it's tempting for automobile manufacturers to make significant styling changes to distinguish model years, Karma Automotive resisted that temptation.

Bottom line: It's hard to improve on pure, automotive design excellence.

Thank you KA for being right on the marque!

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
I received the e-mail, but no photos or information. Where are others getting info and pictures. Found nothing on the Karma Auto site either.

·
EV Enthusiast
110 Posts
I received the e-mail, but no photos or information. Where are others getting info and pictures. Found nothing on the Karma Auto site either.
You need to click on the link on the email and enter in the password given in the email.

Looks like the big panel gaps are still there.

·
1,172 Posts
You need to click on the link on the email and enter in the password given in the email.

Looks like the big panel gaps are still there.
Looks to me like they modified a 2012 Fisker karma with different fascias and new solar panel. The same large panel gaps on our cars are there on the new cars. That would be almost impossible to exactly replicate if brand new body panels were being used.

Also not too impressed by the quality of the paint, it looks like your typical "Tesla multi-coat red" not jaw dropping like the colors on the 2012 cars.

All in all great to see there is progress and hopefully some of these tech can be transferred to our cars. It is hard to improve on the perfect design of the 2012 Fisker Karma.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
I entered the password. There was little or no real information there. Just the "visuals" outlining the Karma and form to get a call--offering opportunity to be on the list. Thanks, will check again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts