Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a check engine light on my Fisker here in miami and I am fortunate enough to have harley guy locally. He diagnosed my fisker and Had the car back in my hands in 48 hours. defective evac canister replaced 12 v batter replaced. tires rotated and balanced. Amazingly fast and quality work and awesome service center as well
Thanks Harleyguy

·
Registered
829 Posts
So, is it really necessary to "rotate" the tires ... which must mean left to right since the fronts are smaller than the rears. What does that buy you? (or do you move the tires from one rim to the other or something)?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thats why he's the best in the nation. He's the only one capable of rotating the tires on the Karma...;D
He also services the transmission...
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Thats why he's the best in the nation. He's the only one capable of rotating the tires on the Karma...;D
He also services the transmission...
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
This has always confused me. Don't tires rotate on their own as you drive the car? :D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
No. No benefit I've ever seen. They generally wear evenly as long as alignment is good. Goodyears could be switched side to side but yoko's are directional and would require dismounting, plus the tpms sensors would then read tire pressures at wrong location and they would have to be relearned.
I monitor my clients tire wear closely and regulary and dont move tires at all, don't have any problems.
But I still like that Harleyguy can do it, :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
No. No benefit I've ever seen. They generally wear evenly as long as alignment is good. Goodyears could be switched side to side but yoko's are directional and would require dismounting, plus the tpms sensors would then read tire pressures at wrong location and they would have to be relearned.
I thought it was the Goodyears that are directional, and not the Yokos - is that wrong? I've only ever had the Goodyears.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Goodyears are asymmetrical not directional. They have inner and outer markings meaning the inner tread is different than the outer tread, thus sidewall labeled inside or outside. Yokos have V groove pattern to funnel water, and are labeled with rotation arrows and cant be switched side to side. Technically the Goodyears can be switched side to side. Directional tires absolutely can not or they will hydroplane badly in rain is it will funnel the water into the center of the tread if mounted backwards.
hope this provides clarity.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Is what you're saying, FiskerPhilly, that the Goodyears can be rotated, but it serves no purpose because the outside of the tire will still be outside as they are asymmetrical? Also, as I understand, it is not a good idea to make the tire rotate in opposite direction half way into it's life because of the opposing forces on tires. But, the V grooved pattern of the Yokos means they can be rotated as long as they are dis-mounted and re-mounted so their rotation is identical, but the inside is now outside on the other side of the car. So, asymmetrical tires can be rotated, but serves no purpose. Directional tires can be rotated, but has to be re-mounted. If you have an asymmetrical, directional tire you're screwed. Is there such a thing? It would be a right foot, left foot shoe scenario.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Well put. My experience is leave them alone, keep car in alignment and drive...I'm seeing good wear and life from the yokos with no unusual wear or noise. And since I HATE mounting these tires I'm not looking for any additional stress ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
May have rotated tires to even out a developing wear issue due to alignment.

HarleyGuy is great. I would not have bought this car if I didn't have him to work on it. Southeast customers be grateful and all should be sure to show gratitude for all that he does for the Fisker Nation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts