Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that they are free, I'm sure there is something proprietary that keeps anything other than a Tesla from using their supercharging stations, but just curious if anyone has looked into it. I'm assuming it's not just the connection, or I'm sure an adapter would be made.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
The short version that there's nothing you can do to charge your Karma from a Tesla supercharger.

The longer version is that the issue is much deeper than the connector geometry. The Fisker has a single onboard 3.3Kw charger, meaning the most power it can draw from to charge is 240V at 16A (or thereabouts). Even if you used a 30A "Level 2" 240V charger you're not charging any faster.

The Tesla supercharger puts out 480V at 100A or more. Even if you managed to adapt the proprietary charger to fit our pin outs it wouldn't work because A) our car doesn't know the communication protocol to talk to the supercharger and start the flow, and even if you did manage to trick the Supercharger into starting I suspect your car would have a "thermal event" in a hurry.

Note that other cars that can accept the a high-voltage/high-amperage DC charge (such as a LEAF) still can't use the Superchargers because of the proprietary connector shape and because they don't speak the same charging protocol language. Tesla may eventually license the protocol and adapter spec to other manufacturers (Mercedes being the likely candidate) but there's no current plan to do so that I'm aware of.

LEAFs and some others use the CHAdeMO high-speed DC Charging standard, the BMW i3 and i8 and some others use the CCS Combo Charging System (which is backward compatible with Level 2). Tesla is pretty much an island right now.

Brent

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
There is also a non-technical aspect to this, which is that the stations belong to Tesla and they have only authorized Tesla owners to use them. Even if you solve the interface problem, you still need Tesla's permission to use their facilities. Just because I have a J1772 Level II Charging station in my garage, random EV owners can't just stop by and plug in without my permission.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i hope that one day there will be aftermarket car to home plug system for the Model S, then it would be nice to charge a J1772 EV from a tesla for free :)

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I wish the EV industry could have agreed upon a standard for all. It would have promoted the cause. Guess that makes me an oft disappointed Pollyanna.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
I wish the EV industry could have agreed upon a standard for all. It would have promoted the cause. Guess that makes me an oft disappointed Pollyanna.
SAE J1772 level II tops out at 80A and the Level III standard that goes up 400A has not been ratified yet, so Tesla did not want to wait. It is also helpful for them to have an exclusive standard for their own cars but to provide compatibility for other standards so that the owners can use public charging stations other than Tesla's.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have friends who have a MS and they are very happy with it. But recently, they went on a long trip and the supercharger was OTS. It only happened once, but they were pissed. Life is too short. They love their Tesla but will not accommodate being stranded more than once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts