Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people have been waiting, and it's finally here! These pieces, inspired by the grill seen on the Surf is now available for pre-order. I'm currently setting up a group-buy for the first batch to be made. Other than being one of the first few to have the grill set, you'll also enjoy a reduced price for being part of it.

Designed completely by hand, then molded, here in the US, this isn't a cheaply made pair of parts. Each grill is one-piece, made with thick fiberglass for durability.

The finish is the matte black you see in the pictures below, though it can be further painted any way you like. Want the outer area to be color-matched to your car, and the center left black? Perhaps the outer area chrome-dipped to be more like the factory piece? The whole thing a high-gloss black? Whatever you like!

"Sure Travis, that all sounds great! But how much is it?" Well, let me show you! The prices below are for the standard matte black finish. If you'd like to have the grills painted, please contact me so that I can get you a quote. The body shop I use for painting is the same one I use for the custom wings and all of my Karma clients here in So Cal.

Normal retail for a pair: $1575 + shipping
Group-buy discount: $1375 + shipping

Please respond either here in the thread or PM me to confirm a pre-order or if you have any questions at all. I'll be closing off pre-orders and sending the order in 2 weeks. This is a Fiskerbuzz ONLY offer. I won't have them on my site or in my hands to show off myself until after the pre-order.

Now, on to the pics! There will be installed pictures coming soon.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Exciting! Can't wait to see the installed pics. Were these molded off of the original Surf grill or was it crafted to look similar?

Also, are those prices including installation?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was crafted by hand to look similar. I highly doubt Fisker HQ would've let us use their grill to mold it :)

The price is for the grill. Installation is only about an hour or so if you decide to use me.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I am still on the fence if I like that grill (pic attached). One of the biggest benefits is that it hides the foam. Also a bit curious about the durability of fiberglass hence the CF question. I built a fiberglass jeep many years ago and after a few years I started to see spiderweb type cracking. The grill will take a blasting up front from road grime/rock chips etc so I am curious about the durability.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure, I'll look into a CF version for you, no problem. It's not a bad thought.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already have an answer. Carbon fiber is definitely an option but it'll be quite expensive. If you really want it, PM me.

Regarding the cracking, I asked about this as well. It really only happens on flimsy 1-layered fiberglass. A lot of the cheaper car body kits that come from overseas are a good example. This is 3 layers of fiberglass plus a gel coat over it. The black you see is a thin primer paint. Put another layer of paint over that, plus clear coat and it won't crack. In fact, the parts are warrantied for any cracks and such FOR LIFE. Can't ask for peace of mind better than that.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the installed pics.

Lormax - how easy is it to pop out the original pieces (and therefore install the new ones)? If memory serves, they are just held in by some plastic (?) tabs.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Metal clips hold it in, the plastic tabs that you're remembering are what the metal clips hook onto. These grills will be installed slightly different but still not difficult at all.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have all that info back home in California. I'll get you pricing and such on their grills when I return home next week.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed pics! There will be a set of pictures coming up that will have the grill with the chrome on it as well coming up.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another set of installed pics, with a quick chrome wrap for that "stock" look. Keep in mind the chrome was done quickly for the pics.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As we spoke about today, definitely put me down for the pre-order for the new grill kit. Chrome border like the current grill and matt black for the struts. I'll tell you what I'd really like to see is the grill on the pictures of the Sunset. That's my personal fav.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Someone posted a Karma on another forum in an "ugly cars" thread. While I respectfully disagreed, I must admit that the two-part grille has always bothered me a bit. I feel that it should look more toothy, so I quickly shopped up an example and I must say I like it.

tl;dr registered just to share this:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Someone posted a Karma on another forum in an "ugly cars" thread. While I respectfully disagreed, I must admit that the two-part grille has always bothered me a bit. I feel that it should look more toothy, so I quickly shopped up an example and I must say I like it.

tl;dr registered just to share this:
Looks much happier! But if a surf grill is over $1000, I'd hate to guess what "reconstructive dental surgery" like this would run. Look at the thread for VL Destino to see another vision.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts