Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Fisker out for a long road trip this weekend where there were no charge stations. I was careful to no run the battery down to 0 miles and when I parked it it had about 3.. After the 400+ mile trip the car didn't fully charge overnight like normal. Charger said it was disconnected after 2 hours. My charger is set to come on at 11PM so I was not watching it. Thinking it was a glitch in the charger I tried again the second day and this time it came on for 15mins. Tonight I spent some time trying to get it to charge and it enters the charge mode with all the relay clicks but after a few seconds the relays click again and the charger is put offline. This is even before the charger closes its contactor to start the charge.

I did the full reset by disconnecting the main power but the same issue.

I checked the 12V battery and it seemed low ~12.4V. I put a charger on it which brought the voltage up to ~13.4V but the same symptoms. Relays engage when I connect the charger only to make noise a few seconds later knocking the charger offline not allowing it to start the charge.

I tested with the Fisker 110V charger as well and same issue.

No error codes or anything.

I'm going to leave it on the 12V charger overnight to bring the 12V battery up to see if that is the issue.

Any other ideas?

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Recommend you take to an alternate location -- Walgreens or a Level II charging station. This will help isolate the issue from the Charger/Garage or the Karma. I had an issue with my charger, and thought it was the Karma. It charged fine at a local Walgreens Drug and had a relay fault inside my 220VAC Charger. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point I sure its not either of the chargers. The karma relays click a second time after a few seconds before the charger even can turn on.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That's a dead indication of a bad internal charge contactor in the battery. If you plug in then hear the contactor close as normal then seconds later hear it click open again. Faulty contactor. Where are you located @sterling500

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a dead indication of a bad internal charge contactor in the battery. If you plug in then hear the contactor close as normal then seconds later hear it click open again. Faulty contactor. Where are you located @sterling500
I'm in San Jose CA. Funny that this started all the sudden after a long drive without charging it. I only charge it once a week before a drive so I wonder how the contactor could be worn out.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Not so much a matter of worn out, however they can go at any time. Last one I replaced was a client that rarely charges on a 110 charger as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't get me wrong but it's not a good idea to hold the battery on one level. The best is to lower the battery as much as you can before re-charge.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Good thing it can be fixed and its also a pretty common problem over the last few years I've repaired at least 15 batteries that had the same problem.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Wow, bummer just wanted to make sure it was not something that I caused.
There is a CSP in San Francisco, so at least you don't have to ship your car to Southern California to get it fixed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Root cause is the # 5 contactor failing I sent w bunch of them to Fisker for some diag not sure they ever found the reason they fail except for a voltage spike .
I'm not an electrician or engineer by any means...is a voltage spike a normal occurrence or a very abnormal occurence and does the EVSE cause this, or is it from the power company and the EVSE simplify transmits it on towards the car?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts