Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this issue? Last week when attempting to park my car I switched from Drive to Reverse and applied the accelerator. The car did not move, instead I heard a loud, long screaming noise. An error displayed saying to take the car to the service center and I also received a 01 Limp Fault error. The car will go in park and neutral, but will not move in Drive or Reverse.

I contacted Fisker Automotive (they assisted me with the fan recall after the Wanxiang acquisition) and they said:

"It sounds like stripped RDM splines and you’ll need to get the car to a dealer. DTCs can confirm if the problem is stripped splines. If it is, will need a new rear traction motor and possibly a new RDM transaxle."

The Bellevue, WA dealer closed and now the nearest one to me is in Vancouver, B.C. I would prefer not to have to tow the vehicle up there if possible. Anyone experienced this and found a solution?

Here is a video of the issue: http://youtu.be/C_5Gs3iYRn0

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The solution is to replace the electric motor that has been stripped out. I have extensive experience with dealing with this issue, all the way to the point that I now rebuild the electric motors and replace the part inside that's been stripped out. After replacing that piece and all seals/bearings, I'm confident that my rebuilt part is better than factory (cheaper too!). I have so much confidence that I warranty the motor and labor as well (assuming I do the replacement).

Sometimes you just need one motor. Sometimes it takes out the differential (RDM transaxle) with it. Unfortunately you won't ever know until you get the assembly out of the vehicle and open it up to take a look.

Feel free to PM me here or contact me through my site if you'd like more information.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The most common range of failure I've seen for a stripped out motor is 7-15,000 miles or so.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
important to consider the cost when picking the selection for the BK, whether to go with pay me now, or chance the warranty from WanXaing (given the amount of communication) seems more of a long shot then taking money from the BK - something to consider igf the spline issue should happen to any of us - thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you drive your Karma? Do you usually floor it from a stand still? 4,900 miles is not a lot for the splines to fail so I'm just wondering.
- I rarely floor from a stand still. I suppose I floor getting on the freeway every now and then.

- My car vin is in the 1600s. I thought I had bought a late enough one to avoid these issues. I guess not.

- I have not decided what to do with the BK. If Wanxiang re-instate a warranty it will be much more valuable than a small payout now.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
- I rarely floor from a stand still. I suppose I floor getting on the freeway every now and then.

- My car vin is in the 1600s. I thought I had bought a late enough one to avoid these issues. I guess not.

- I have not decided what to do with the BK. If Wanxiang re-instate a warranty it will be much more valuable than a small payout now.
Another question just curious the area you drive is it mostly flat driving or hills or a combination of both ? Steep hills ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another question just curious the area you drive is it mostly flat driving or hills or a combination of both ? Steep hills ?
I live in Seattle so there are certainly plenty of hills. My driveway is pretty steep too. I have not had issues with any of my other cars though.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
See post 6
a range in cost for this issue would be?
I hate to say it, but it kind of depends on how far the damage goes. I've seen a LOT of cars with this problem now. Sometimes only the motor gets spun out with only minor damage to the differential and it (the diff) can be re-used. Sometimes the differential shaft gets damaged beyond use and it needs to be replaced as well. In rare occasions, I've seen one motor stripped out, the differential taken out with it and the other motor getting very worn as well. The unfortunate thing is that you can never tell how bad it is until you've taken the differential/motors out of the car and separate them.

I sell a rebuilt motor for $2850, which includes a 1 yr/12,000 mile warranty. A rebuilt motor consists of a new center shaft assembly, all new bearings, all new seals and if it's the older style, we wrap the 3-phase wires as well to help prevent chafing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe (hopefully) a few of us in the Pacific Northwest can arrange a time and place to have Lormax up for a visit. We can all chip in for Lormax's transportation and garage facilities rental and get our vehicles repaired and serviced. EVer1 and I had communicated about having Lormax visit in the past, I'm pretty sure that EVer1 would be still interested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts