Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a karma ec from someone who managed to get two new demo units (roughly 3000 miles on each ) and they are a reputable dealer of exotic cars.

both cars come with a new vehicle title, one a burgundy coloured ES with serial number 1759 and that is straight forward, but the other car has two vins.

the second one is a white EC and the door sill says it is serial number 1409 as does the new car registration, but the vin as seen from the window shows 0969

how on earth it could have 0969 in the window and 1409 on the sill and paperwork is beyond me.

the dealer mentioned this right away as he is somewhat baffled by the fact that there are two numbers.

I was going to check out the history but I only have the last 4 digits of the two cars and the recall status site seems to want the full VIN.

Can anyone help explain the VIN issue and let me know what the first parts of the VIN might be?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Your VIN has to be: YH4K14AA0CA00xxxx

There were only numbers up through something like 2699. I have 2114.

Oh, and it's not "burgundy" ... it's "Inferno"! :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I will contact Fisker for you and get to the bottom,however I would suggest getting the full vins. I only need the # before the CA. I know the rest based on what you say. It should be YH4K16AA_CA000969 or 001409. If you want just use the VIN I gave you and plug in different #s in the one blank. It'll be numbers 0-9 also X. One of them will work. Then do the same with the other VIN. I will try thru the warranty system and see what comes up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You must be speaking of avant garde.

Nice cars, but too spendy. 60k, sure...

75 and 78. Good luck...

Be interesting to see how you make out.

Best of luck shopping :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Using a master list of all the VINs, a search of the last 4 numbers turns up this:

"1759" = YH4K14AA8CA001759 (that's the "straightforward" inferno one)
"1409" = YH4K14AA3CA001409
"0969" = no result found

Interestingly, the VINs skip over 969 entirely. The sequence is:
YH4K14AA0CA001397
YH4K14AA0CA001398
YH4K14AA0CA001370
YH4K14AA0CA001371

I'm guessing Valmet assembled most of the car, put it aside, then brought it back later in the process to complete it? I don't know though - it's a pretty big gap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You must be speaking of avant garde.
Nice cars, but too spendy. 60k, sure...
75 and 78. Good luck...
Be interesting to see how you make out.
Best of luck shopping :)
Yes, I have been chatting with David about the two they have in stock.

They are both 2012 production but have a "new" NIVIS certificate, white one with 5000km the inferno one with 7200km.

I'm not sure who had them before AG, but I'm assuming it's the dealer group in Calgary that was planning on distributing the Fisker brand.

He mentioned an owner of a white one having interest in trading their unit with 50k on it for the white one with 5K on it, so perhaps there is a deal to be had that way, as I'm quite fine buying one with 50K on the clock.

I have to assume the new ones will be 100K plus, so $79K and $77K for the two units is not a horrible deal and I assume there is a small amount of space left in his current asking price.

Who knows, if I can pick up a unit for $70K and promise him a few favors in exchange perhaps it might be a good deal.

I seriously considered a used Tesla S Type ( P85 ) but I do like the idea of the gas hybrid versus the pure electric as the access to charging facilities in Alberta is not that great.

As well with my manufacturing background and automotive experience it should be possible for me to manufacture upgrade parts for the Karma.

I would have to tip toe around patents, but it's certainly easier than trying to build parts for a Tesla.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using a master list of all the VINs, a search of the last 4 numbers turns up this:

"1759" = YH4K14AA8CA001759 (that's the "straightforward" inferno one)
"1409" = YH4K14AA3CA001409
"0969" = no result found

Interestingly, the VINs skip over 969 entirely. The sequence is:
YH4K14AA0CA001397
YH4K14AA0CA001398
YH4K14AA0CA001370
YH4K14AA0CA001371

I'm guessing Valmet assembled most of the car, put it aside, then brought it back later in the process to complete it? I don't know though - it's a pretty big gap.
I looked up the first one and the mileage for recalls are ending around 5601km which makes sense for the demo mileage of 7200km

The white one is an EcoChic according to paperwork, looking at a VIN Decode post on this site the VIN should have 16AA not 14AA

YH4K14AA3CA001409 shows recall info at 64km and it shows it as an EcoSport instead of an EcoChic

It definitely has all the weird extras of an EcoChic, I'm wondering if it started it's life as an EcoSport and was converted to an EcoChic along the way.

Any way you cut it the changes in VIN are strange, I will talk to the dealer and ask him to verify the full VIN number.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't know a thing about importing a car into Canada, but with the current exchange rate $80K Cdn is like $64K US, and FiskerPhilly seems to have access to much better prices than that, so something to consider (and if you figure the importation out, let me know - if I ever move back north myself, I'd like to know what happens to my car).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Importing a car into canada is very simple.

Both my TT and my Touareg were purchased in the states.

One thing to keep in mind though, you'll pay an additional 8.5% duty to the canadian government because the car is assembled in Finland.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Importing a car into canada is very simple.

Both my TT and my Touareg were purchased in the states.

One thing to keep in mind though, you'll pay an additional 8.5% duty to the canadian government because the car is assembled in Finland.
Since you've imported before, I'd use that knowledge, and FiskerPhilly's post (http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/23...other-client-looking-sell-his-karma-look.html) to leverage yourself a better deal (or just buy that one from the link - with all the work that's been done I'd say it's a very good deal).

·
Coming in April
38 Posts
I am looking at buying a karma ec from someone who managed to get two new demo units (roughly 3000 miles on each ) and they are a reputable dealer of exotic cars.

both cars come with a new vehicle title, one a burgundy coloured ES with serial number 1759 and that is straight forward, but the other car has two vins.

the second one is a white EC and the door sill says it is serial number 1409 as does the new car registration, but the vin as seen from the window shows 0969

how on earth it could have 0969 in the window and 1409 on the sill and paperwork is beyond me.

the dealer mentioned this right away as he is somewhat baffled by the fact that there are two numbers.

I was going to check out the history but I only have the last 4 digits of the two cars and the recall status site seems to want the full VIN.

Can anyone help explain the VIN issue and let me know what the first parts of the VIN might be?
We'll research this conundrum for you next week and will post the results here. Found most original build books so it will be a matter of finding the correct ones. If you can please provide the complete VIN numbers that would be very helpfull.

·
Coming in April
38 Posts
I looked up the first one and the mileage for recalls are ending around 5601km which makes sense for the demo mileage of 7200km

The white one is an EcoChic according to paperwork, looking at a VIN Decode post on this site the VIN should have 16AA not 14AA

YH4K14AA3CA001409 shows recall info at 64km and it shows it as an EcoSport instead of an EcoChic

It definitely has all the weird extras of an EcoChic, I'm wondering if it started it's life as an EcoSport and was converted to an EcoChic along the way.

Any way you cut it the changes in VIN are strange, I will talk to the dealer and ask him to verify the full VIN number.
Hello Precisionboost, we have finally dug up the original build books on microfiche for VIN 1409 and 969 and were able to print them out in the local library :).
Talked to the Valet folks and the prior Fisker people that we have re-hired and their message is that the window VIN number is the correct one. There has been an exercise at Valet to restocked the doors (change in label) and that was botched up. A lot of cars were again relabeled at port and I guess your VIN was mis labeled there. Both vehicles were produced ! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Precisionboost, you're the perfect kind of buyer who has confidence in buying a car that has potential issues. My friend who is a GM mechanic recognizes most of what he sees when you pop the hood but there are components to the battery and electrical systems that you might not be as familiar with. That being said, if you're still confident you can upgrade parts or keep your Karma in good working condition then I would highly recommend getting a piece of history.

You might want to check out some of the owners in Toronto. I know some of them aren't as 'confident' and they've got money so selling the car for a decent price isn't a big deal and they just want off something that will cause them a headache later.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

Hockeydad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts