Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There a new batch of official Fisker videos on YouTube, and the one for winter storage tips says to keep Karma plugged in with the charger for the duration. However my dealer (in Denver) told me, very specifically, to NOT leave Karma plugged in for extended periods. They sold me a "battery extender" to provide a trickle charge to the 12-volt during the winter months when I'll have her stored in a garage. So…which is correct?
Anyone have any other tips for winter storage?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not a single response? Am I the only one storing Karma for the winter?

·
Registered
854 Posts
There a new batch of official Fisker videos on YouTube, and the one for winter storage tips says to keep Karma plugged in with the charger for the duration. However my dealer (in Denver) told me, very specifically, to NOT leave Karma plugged in for extended periods. They sold me a "battery extender" to provide a trickle charge to the 12-volt during the winter months when I'll have her stored in a garage. So…which is correct?
Odd your dealer saying not to plug in. I'd go by whatever Fisker corporate says. It's my understanding though, that plugging in the J1772 charger will not maintain the 12 volt battery. So that may need to be maintained. If you do get a 12V battery minder, be sure it's a good one. Those are known to occasionally start fires.

·
Registered
483 Posts
For the HV battery, Fisker told me to store car with the HV battery at about 50% charge & NOT plugged in.

For the 12 volt battery, they also recommended either disconnecting the 12 volt completely or otherwise connect it to a "smart" battery maintainer that is compatible with AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries

These 'storage' tips are pretty common among electric cars (leaf, volt, etc...)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Not a single response? Am I the only one storing Karma for the winter?
I looked up "winter" in the dictionary and it does not seem like anything that ever happens in Northern California -- sorry. :dodgy:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
What 8AVGMPG said. I'd charge the battery up to about 50-75% charge, then pull the 12V disconnect and just let it sit. Without pulling the disconnect, your 12V will definitely be dead (and "possibly" not recoverable without a battery replacement) after an extended storage like that. To be fair, this could happen on any car, not just a Karma.

·
Registered
483 Posts
they also mentioned that goodyear recommends increasing the tire pressure to 45 psi if the vehicle isn't going to move for weeks/months at a time to prevent flat spots from forming. and then obviously when the car is ready to come out of storage to set the tires at the factory spec before driving

·
Registered
4 Posts
12v battery tender for storage?

Can someone post any particular brands of 12v battery tenders successfully used for long term Karma storage. Considering a brand called "Battery Tender Plus", 1.25amp, 12v for about $50 to keep the 12v system charged during storage over the next 3 months. Unheated - attached garage in northern Ohio.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Can someone post any particular brands of 12v battery tenders successfully used for long term Karma storage. Considering a brand called "Battery Tender Plus", 1.25amp, 12v for about $50 to keep the 12v system charged during storage over the next 3 months. Unheated - attached garage in northern Ohio.
Thanks
One of my clients here in Palm Springs used that exact trickle charger from June to November. He returned to the car in late November, turned the car right on. I think it was purchased at a local auto parts chain for around 60-65.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
don't like it the one I posted does AGM batteries and it's built better . For the extra money it's well worth it
Thanks, I place my order ... Per Lormax's note, do I connect it to the leads in the trunk area - are there any picture around I can use as a guide , also do you recommend increasing tire pressure to 45psi - is two to three weeks considered long term?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
No one on this forum believes me, but I was told at Fisker HQ back before they went BK that the last software update changed things so that the 12v battery charges when the drive battery charger is plugged in. My Chevy Volt works that way. I have left it for 4 months with just the drive battery plugged in and no problem.

I have routinely left my Fisker for up to 6 weeks without being driven with just the drive battery plugged in and have had no problems. I travel a lot and have multiple cars . I will confess that the comments on this forum have scared me and so I no longer leave it for longer than that. But I KNOW that other plug-in hybrids work this way and everything from Fisker says this car does too. I'm not quite sure why so many on this forum are convinced that all of this is wrong.

But I am not a mechanic or an electrical engineer and Fisker is now BK, so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
483 Posts
No one on this forum believes me, but I was told at Fisker HQ back before they went BK that the last software update changed things so that the 12v battery charges when the drive battery charger is plugged in. My Chevy Volt works that way. I have left it for 4 months with just the drive battery plugged in and no problem.
When the car is plugged in, the 12 volt battery is only charged if the high voltage battery is actively charging (SOC % is less than 100). Once the high voltage battery stops charging (SOC % = 100), the contactors will open. At this point, the aux. power module will no longer charge/maintain the 12 volt battery.

I'm not positive but I believe the volt works this way as well.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks, I place my order ... Per Lormax's note, do I connect it to the leads in the trunk area - are there any picture around I can use as a guide , also do you recommend increasing tire pressure to 45psi - is two to three weeks considered long term?
Not in the trunk area, the connections are under the hood. I stole someone else's pic that had the purple line in it and modified it. Do NOT use the purple line spots, that would connect them both to the positive. The red line is mine. Positive is on the left, negative is on the right. An alternative positive connection is under the large plastic red cover.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
Not in the trunk area, the connections are under the hood. I stole someone else's pic that had the purple line in it and modified it. Do NOT use the purple line spots, that would connect them both to the positive. The red line is mine. Positive is on the left, negative is on the right. An alternative positive connection is under the large plastic red cover.

Sorry to implicate you in the confusion, you said engine compartment in you description the last time - my bad and thank you for the picture - left connection for positive and left for negative - got it - thanks a bunch .

·
Registered
282 Posts

It looks like the intention of the purple line for positive is under the red cover.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts