Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just want to know what setting you use on normal drive. Hill or stealth. I've been using hill 2 for maximum regen.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I've found I get more total EV range just leaving it in regular regen mode. Hill 2 slows car down too fast and it takes more energy to re-accelerate.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Stealth and Hill are two independent and mutually exclusive functions. You can be in either Stealth or Sport mode with sport mode providing engine assist and you, at the same time, can be in Normal, Hill 1 or Hill 2 mode. The Normal/Hill1/Hill2 mode is selectable in either Stealth or Sport mode.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm in Stealth / Hill 2 unless I can't help it.

The main reason to lift off the throttle is if you are approaching traffic or a stop sign/light. So the point about it taking too much energy to re-accelerate seems misguided since you're hitting the brakes one way or another.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I'm in Stealth / Hill 2 unless I can't help it.

The main reason to lift off the throttle is if you are approaching traffic or a stop sign/light. So the point about it taking too much energy to re-accelerate seems misguided since you're hitting the brakes one way or another.
Not true - the coasting effect translates into less deceleration force while still recouping some energy. Hill 2 decelerates too quickly requiring you to modulate the accelerator pedal to maintain speed (ie keeping the energy use meter in the middle) rather than just coast. In Hill 2, I consistently get around 38-39 miles of electric range and I'd say in regular regen I get around 41-42 miles in typical city driving (over 8,000 miles and 19 mos).

The main reason to use Hill 2 IMO is either (1) for convenient, "one pedal" driving or (2) if you're actually going down a hill.

·
Owner #1926
113 Posts
Hill 1&2 are best used when either going down hill - to maximize your regen (it does give you more than braking alone) - or for us manual transmission lovers, you can use it like you would in a manual, downshifting into a curve or stop. Bonus being that you get some regen out of it. I defintely would not use a hill mode in regular driving / acceleration, because you are forcing the car to use more electricity than in normal stealth mode to simply move forward then.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
So there you have it Joeker, there is not just one agreed upon way to enjoy driving your Karma and conserving range. One more comment about using Hill mode. If you are in "Hill 1", hold the Hill shift paddle down, it will return you to "D" immediately, rather than shifting to "Hill 2", then shifting again to "D".

·
Registered
479 Posts
Not true - the coasting effect translates into less deceleration force while still recouping some energy. Hill 2 decelerates too quickly requiring you to modulate the accelerator pedal to maintain speed (ie keeping the energy use meter in the middle) rather than just coast. In Hill 2, I consistently get around 38-39 miles of electric range and I'd say in regular regen I get around 41-42 miles in typical city driving (over 8,000 miles and 19 mos).

The main reason to use Hill 2 IMO is either (1) for convenient, "one pedal" driving or (2) if you're actually going down a hill.
What you're saying makes a lot of sense.

I defintely would not use a hill mode in regular driving / acceleration, because you are forcing the car to use more electricity than in normal stealth mode to simply move forward then.
I was out driving around today and tried a little test. Hold the accelerator down at a constant even pressure - note where the "needle" is relative to accelerating and generating. Now keep the foot steady and cycle through the Hill modes. Needle doesn't budge.

My theory is that the regen program only kicks in if you have 0 throttle input. Once you tap the throttle, the regen mode of Hill 1/2 are switched off.

Anyways, I'll stick to what I'm doing...I do enjoy the "one pedal" driving. Reminds me of my stick shift car.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Hill 1&2 are best used when either going down hill - to maximize your regen (it does give you more than braking alone) - or for us manual transmission lovers, you can use it like you would in a manual, downshifting into a curve or stop. Bonus being that you get some regen out of it. I defintely would not use a hill mode in regular driving / acceleration, because you are forcing the car to use more electricity than in normal stealth mode to simply move forward then.
I have found that using Hill mode to go down a hill in San Francisco is actually a bit dangerous because (i) many drivers around here actually speed down the hill rather than coast and they end up tailgating me very impatiently; and (ii) the brake lights do not go on when you are using hill mode which further confuses the ICE drivers who are not used to cars slowing down without the brake lights going on. Even though we have lots of steep hills here that would be perfect Hill mode territory, for safety, I prefer to keep the Hill mode off and use the brake pedal to engage regen when going down a hill to alert the cars behind me that I am descending slowly and they can cool their jets since we are heading to stop sign or red light anyway.

This is not caused by a technical limitation of the Regen system on the Karma, just the abundance of impatient and aggressive drivers in San Francisco.

Paradoxically, I use Hill mode 2 in heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic all the time for 1-Pedal driving, and it works just fine for that since everyone is crawling along anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I think Hill 2 also recaptures more energy when the brake pedal is depressed than it normally does in regular regen or Hill 1

·
Registered
289 Posts
well it's a design issue.. not sure about other EVs but in a Tesla model S when the regen is actively stopping the car - the brake lights will be on too.

·
Registered
913 Posts
OK, it looks like it's time to describe this again...

The computer has two input "buttons", A and B (like A and B buttons on your game controller). The funny thing about these are they are Accelerator and Brake.

If you are in regular (non-Hill) mode, releasing both buttons entirely means "apply very gentle regenerative braking", about the same "feel" you get from an automatic transmission drag, or a manual in the highest gear.

Assuming B is un-pressed:

(1) Pressing A lightly takes the drag away, like putting the transmission in a "regular" car in neutral. There's a (very) small range of pressure where the drag decreases to zero.

(2) Pressing A harder than that, accelerates. The more you push it down the faster you accelerate.

In any case, pressing B lightly engages regenerative braking, pressing it very hard engages both that and friction braking. The computer automatically adds friction braking as needed.

So, what does turning on Hill Mode (1 or 2) do? The only thing it does is change the behavior in "B not pressed, A pressed lightly or not at all".

Basically, when neither button is pressed, in Hill 1, you get a moderate amount of regen braking, and in Hill 2, you get a significant (but not huge) amount—about the same amount as you would get with engine braking in gears 3 and 2 on a 5-speed manual, say. In no case do the brake lights come on (this is true with a real manual transmission car too).

As with non-Hill modes, pressing A very gently, in that little zone between "light/moderate braking" and "neutral", eases up on the regen-braking.

If your feet were perfectly calibrated and coordinated, there would be nothing you could do with the Hill mode and "A" button that you can't already do without Hill mode and the "B" button (except that the "B" button lights up the brake lights). The two Hill modes are there to make it easier for those of us who aren't ballet dancers. :D

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
OK, it looks like it's time to describe this again...

The computer has two input "buttons", A and B (like A and B buttons on your game controller). The funny thing about these are they are Accelerator and Brake.

If you are in regular (non-Hill) mode, releasing both buttons entirely means "apply very gentle regenerative braking", about the same "feel" you get from an automatic transmission drag, or a manual in the highest gear.

Assuming B is un-pressed:

(1) Pressing A lightly takes the drag away, like putting the transmission in a "regular" car in neutral. There's a (very) small range of pressure where the drag decreases to zero.

(2) Pressing A harder than that, accelerates. The more you push it down the faster you accelerate.

In any case, pressing B lightly engages regenerative braking, pressing it very hard engages both that and friction braking. The computer automatically adds friction braking as needed.

So, what does turning on Hill Mode (1 or 2) do? The only thing it does is change the behavior in "B not pressed, A pressed lightly or not at all".

Basically, when neither button is pressed, in Hill 1, you get a moderate amount of regen braking, and in Hill 2, you get a significant (but not huge) amount—about the same amount as you would get with engine braking in gears 3 and 2 on a 5-speed manual, say. In no case do the brake lights come on (this is true with a real manual transmission car too).

As with non-Hill modes, pressing A very gently, in that little zone between "light/moderate braking" and "neutral", eases up on the regen-braking.

If your feet were perfectly calibrated and coordinated, there would be nothing you could do with the Hill mode and "A" button that you can't already do without Hill mode and the "B" button (except that the "B" button lights up the brake lights). The two Hill modes are there to make it easier for those of us who aren't ballet dancers. :D
I thought Hill 2 actually gives you the potential for more regen while hitting the break pedal. Anecdotally, I notice that the generation bar goes further to the left when I'm in Hill 2 mode depressing partly on the brake than when I'm in regular regen mode. IIRC, regen caps out at 0.25G but it is unclear if you hit that while not in Hill 2 mode.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts