Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I were fiddling around today and decided to see how fast the car is in Stealth mode. Here's what we found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXnXqu1XOlU

-Brian

·
Registered
95 Posts
8.6 seconds eh? I bet the car turns heads though!

How's the ride? With all that weight and stability, it should ride like a limo, or at least like a Lincoln Town Car.[hr]
We need the Sport mode 0-60 video!

We also need a thread just for stories about being accosted by people suffering whiplash from turning their head so fast to see the Karma. :D

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you nailed it. Lincoln Town Car is exactly what it feels like, just lower. It feels very heavy, but responsive.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
brian said:
I think you nailed it. Lincoln Town Car is exactly what it feels like, just lower. It feels very heavy, but responsive.
Brian: Do you think having it in Hill 2 mode made any difference to the 0-60 time? As long as you are testing, it may be worthwhile to do a test with the regen mode off. Logically, it should not make a difference since you are on full acceleration the whole time but the software may be in save-juice mode whenever Hill 1 or Hill 2 is on.

-- Fab.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about that, but I don't think do. The regen stuff completely disengages if you even tap the accelerator. I wanted to do a Sport mode test, but all the lights were green. Gonna try again later.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
brian said:
I thought about that, but I don't think do. The regen stuff completely disengages if you even tap the accelerator. I wanted to do a Sport mode test, but all the lights were green. Gonna try again later.
Just to be clear, in your test you floored the accelerator pedal right? (ie you didn't gradually depress the pedal)?

Seems like your tests would suggest car is 0.7s slower than the original advertised Stealth 0-60 time.

·
Registered
913 Posts
brian said:
I thought about that, but I don't think do. The regen stuff completely disengages if you even tap the accelerator.
Yes, but what Fab is thinking (I think :D) is that perhaps in the "hill" modes the computer limits the maximum current fed to the electric motors. I don't think it does so, myself.

I did learn recently that "0-60" and "5-60" tests are done differently: for 0-60, one is supposed to pre-warm the tires and dump the clutch (in a system with a clutch) and otherwise basically arrange for fastest 0-60 time possible even though it's terrible for the car, while for 5-60 it's just "press accelerator (while going 5 mph) and go". This is (so the claim went) why the 5-60 time for one particular car was a bigger number than its 0-60 time.

So, I paused your YouTube video and scrolled about. I think your start and end times are right, but I note that it takes roughly 0.7 second or so for the "accelerate" gauge to get all the way over to "accelerate" and for the speedometer to start climbing.

(For my own usage, which is mostly "getting on the freeway", the interesting performance numbers are 5-60, or really, 20-75...)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, there's definitely a delay when you mash the accelerator. It is not instant.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Mycroft said:
8.6 seconds eh? I bet the car turns heads though!
@Mycroft: I think you have discovered the real reason for not making the Karma too fast: a lot of bystanders would be hurt if they had to snap their head around too fast to follow the car. The car's stately gait minimizes the collateral damage among the bystanders. :D

-- Fab.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I think that the accelerator pedal has the haptic touch feature like the command center. Just takes awhile to react :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Brian,

Any chance that you try the 0-60 in Sport mode? Would be nice to see if it is close to the 6.3 sec claimed.

PS Sorry of all those software bugs your car seems to have

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I keep my camera in the car so if I get a chance I'll do it. The other day I managed to get a better Stealth 0-60 test, but the problem is that I've got to find really flat roads where I'm the first person in line at a red light. This is the Texas Hill Country, so flat is a little hard to find on my end of town. The Sport mode definitely feels a little faster, but the engine noise is so distracting that it's kinda hard to tell.

Most of the torque-acceleration effect is from 0-40. After 40 there's not much sense of acceleration and the car gets quite sluggish.

-Brian

·
Registered
784 Posts
That must be the sensation of driving with one gear, Brian. Lots of torque in the beginning and then losing the push later on. You're probably used to getting a new round of acceleration with every gear change in your Aston.

·
Registered
913 Posts
brian said:
This isn't going to make you guys happy, but best to just watch the video. I think it says it all.
That's pretty slow! But if you're in that mode and leave it set in "sport" and just drive normally, it will eventually show some miles on the battery again, and you'll have better results, right?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, here is the full story. I drove the car a lot today... Over 120 miles. This evening I had to drive a very long distance for a family gathering, and when I left home I only had 10 miles of charge on the battery. So, I put it into Sport mode for the entire 65 minute drive there. In sport mode with some charge remaining, the car performed just fine. It kept the battery at 10 miles of range and at 33% charge.

So, for the drive home I put it into Stealth mode and let the battery run out. When the range extender kicked in I noticed that the car had a very hard time accelerating at every stop light, so that's when I decided to get the camera out. It didn't matter if the car was in sport or stealth mode, actually. Both modes performed exactly the same when the battery was kaput.

The car was dangerously slow as the video shows. That was the first time I've had to run the ICE that long, so I don't know if it will behave this way every time, but we'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
The moral of this latest story is: If you are trying to do 0-60 runs, place your Karma in "sport" mode with a couple of miles left on the battery, as not to totally deplete it first, and you will get to 60 from 0 in around 6 seconds. I wouldn't imagine a 4 cylinder engine making electricity to flow through a battery and to 2 electric motors pulling a 5300lbs sled would be able to move it quickly anyway.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah, but herein lies the issue. The ICE *can* generate enough power, and it does, but only when it revs up. The problem in the video,is that when I mashed the accelerator the ICE barely did anything for the first 8 seconds. About the time the car hit 50 the RPMs were high enough that you could feel some acceleration.

Once again, this could just be another software issue that they will fix later. The ICE simply needs to rev up immediately to supply the needed power faster. Also, the battery still has like 15% charge, so it should have been able to supply the power all on its own, and then the ICE could replenish it right after.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts