Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Carved - Karma bites back
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear

Those the solar roof work? The display on my karma is just a static image. How do you know the roof is working?

Steve

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Faith :)

Park the car outside in the sun. Turn it off and just sit there. After awhile, the blower motor will turn on and air will come out of the vents. That's one way to check.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do you feel water inside the car when it rains? The roof is working. Just kidding.

I don't know a direct way to measure the output from the solar roof, however, I did feel the fan come on once when I sat inside my car on a sunny day with power off.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
The solar panel does work and keeps the 12 volt battery charged . The screen doesn't do anything Fisker was in the process to delete that part of the touch screen when all **** broke out .

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
There is an entire thread on this topic here.

The energy flow screen shows the output of the solar panels on the roof. See this post.

Also, the operation of exhaust fans powered by solar fans has been experimentally verified. See this post.

·
Registered
122 Posts
While the static jpeg "flower" screen of the power is a topic of it's own, I've noticed the the solar panel on the screen with the image of the car (the one including the engine/battery) DOES display some information. On sunny days while driving, the solar panel on that car image will light up in a vertical fashion depending on the amount of sun "soaking in". I'm in Pennsylvania, and on a completely sunny day, the most i've noticed is 3 "levels". I'm certain it does change.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
While the static jpeg "flower" screen of the power is a topic of it's own, I've noticed the the solar panel on the screen with the image of the car (the one including the engine/battery) DOES display some information.
That's the Energy Flow screen screen Fab referenced above.

·
Registered
859 Posts
When you shift into neutral at a stop sign the regen goes to +1kw. (Climate control is off.) I assume the charge is coming from the solar roof. At a long stoplight I sometimes notice that the range increases 1 mile. But I don't know if that's from the solar roof or a rounding error in the software.

·
Registered
483 Posts
When you shift into neutral at a stop sign the regen goes to +1kw. (Climate control is off.) I assume the charge is coming from the solar roof. At a long stoplight I sometimes notice that the range increases 1 mile. But I don't know if that's from the solar roof or a rounding error in the software.
solar panel doesn't charge the high voltage battery, it only "takes a load off" of it by charging the 12 volt battery so that it doesn't have to.

the range indicator is probably just recalculating the ev range left since you've stopped & thus are not using as much energy. Or you could have been on the tipping point of going up 1 mile with energy recovered by the regen. tough to say really.

·
Registered
289 Posts
that's alot of round up from at 120w panel.. i guess their math is 120>0 :)
regarding the mile you are gaining, it can't be from the solar, as the solar panel cannot charge the HV battery pack..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually the roof was always considered a bit of a joke, the power gain it provided was negligible, you would have to be in orbit around the sun for anything worthwhile, but it does look pretty nifty.... that was another piece of engineering that got a good leaving alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts