Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all;

Just had the 520 upgrade done yesterday by the CSP here in Toronto yesterday. However, the car and everything else acts exactly the same. For example the PRND still takes between 1.5 to 2 minutes to go out, which everyone else with the upgrade says should take 45 seconds after the 520 upgrade. How do I know if the upgrade was indeed done and done properly for that matter. Any way to check the version of the software or any other way to check. I have tried the PRND test several times and average is at least 1 minute and 15 seconds sometimes as high as 2 minutes or basically like before the upgrade. As the CSP is new to Fisker and I am one of the Guinea pigs for them, I have no doubt they have the best intentions but did they miss something. Any help would be appreciated in checking whether they indeed upgraded my software or not. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
@FiskerZee - I had the exact same behavior after my initial upgrade to 5.20. Something was missed - @FiskerPhilly pointed out the step that was missed. He may answer here and I will see if I can dig up the old thread. Your car should definitely shut down in about 45 seconds after the upgrade to 5.20.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
In order for the 45 second shut down an additional step needs to be performed . When we load software we use a program that loads all the updates using a car configure manager . If we need to load a single computer with software we use Flash Light .
Flash Light is the program they need to use to program the VCM with the 45 second shut down . They need to read page 11 and 12 of the bulletin .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Harleyguy and Wattgas. I knew they would likely miss something as we are the first Guinnea pigs for this CSP. I don't blame them. They are learning but it is annoying nonetheless. They are about 50 miles one way from me!!!!! I will call and rebook the car. What a pain. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Harleyguy;
I am very surprised and sad to report that I checked my software version by pressing the Diag System screen for 8 seconds, holding it and then letting go to find out this version:

Harware Version: PV
Software Version: 05.03.99.00
VIP Version:07.77.00
Nav Ver:01.05.01
Host ersion: 09.29.00

Am I correct in assuming that these set of numbers only correspond to version 510, which my car already had installed before I visited the CSP last week and they kept my car for a whole week to presumably upgrade it to 520? I checked some old threads here and the above numbers seem to correspond to 510 upgrade and not 520, which can only mean one thing: They DID NOT perform the upgrade for whatever reason, or they performed it and it somehow did not take, etc. Honestly, this is ridiculous. They had the bloody car for a whole week, and when I checked under the hood, the fuse compartment lid was left open and dangling too!!!!!!!!!. These people also sell $400,000 Lambos and Aston Martins. If they did not perform my upgrade and they thought they did, then they are obviously not with the program somehow and are missing major steps or don't know what they're doing yet. This is NOT GOOD. Am I correct in my assumptions about the software on my car is still the 510?. If so, what could they have possibly missed not to put the right version of 520 on? They received full training in August from Fisker. What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Slow down lol 520 had nothing to do with the CIU the numbers you see are correct for 510. The training Fisker provides is very basic . I've been working on the Karmas from the start and I still learn something new every day. As far as cars go this is a pretty basic car but I have to say it's one of the hardest cars I've had to repair . Give the new dealer a break you can't learn a car in a week it takes years

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I have now cooled down. My issue is would they not have checked these numbers and versions before they gave me the car? That's what I am disappointed in. It's like changing wheels. After you change the wheel, you check the nuts are tight, right? After I install a new version of Windows on my computer, I check to see if it says it has the new version. Should they not have checked it? The software obviously somehow did not take, that's the only thing I can assume as they told m it was upgraded 100%. I love this forum and people like you Harleuguy, otherwise we'd really be screwed.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Another way to check that 520 was loaded is the chime for sport/stealth/hill should sound different as in a shortened "bong" cut off abruptly about 3/4 of its old duration. Also when you apply the parking brake, the text will be displayed in lower case letters "parking brake applied" with 520, older versions had upper case "PARKING BRAKE APPLIED"
Now the details, as a new csp they probably used configuration manager to flash the whole 520 package, which if your cars VIN is set up in the Fisker database, works just fine and will flash all modules that need updating based on what is currently in those modules and what is latest for them. That said, not all modules are getting an update with 520. The CIU is a good example, 520 does not include any updated ciu files so it gets skipped over and left at 510 level, as do several others. That's why your screen still shows 510 version.
But even if using the config manager you need to read the updated version of the bulletin, they added an additional step to flash the VCM seperate AFTER the rest of the package is flashed. During this step, we manually update the VCM and must carefully select the proper configuration for the car, with/without backup camera/NA or Europe etc. and that's where we set the 45 sec sleep function. They missed that step at least, no way to tell if the 3 inverters, ecm, ebcm, hcu, BECM have the 520 aside from a scan tool readout. To their defense though it is an easy step to miss as we always walk away while the config Mgr is doing its thing and I have forgotten to flash & configure the VCM myself before (just happen to remember before car was returned)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@FiskerPhilly;
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. The parking brake is in lower case and the chimes are short so I take it they only missed the manual flash. I will call them Monday. I know they've done quite a few more of these Fiskers during past few weeks around the Toronto area so likelihood is they were all missed. I don't blame them as they are just getting used to these cars. Well, hopefully after I take mine back, they will remember on future cars. Thanks again guys. Your knowledge and expertise is awesome.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys;
Just to set the record straight. I called Grand Touring Automobiles here in Toronto, and they were extremely professional in responding to my questions this AM. They are checking back with Fisker in California and they advised if they were any steps missed that they would of course reprogram the car if needed. I think I got a bit too excited above by lambasting them. Well, we love our cars and we get excited, lol. Both Mike and Rob were very good this AM and handled this very professionally. I will report back on their findings. They did indeed perform my upgrade to 520 but may have missed this manual step and for a new dealer, this is not a crime. It just happens lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Spoke to Rob from Grand Touring Automobiles, and he advised that the manual flash needs to be done but apparently the Fisker instructions were not that clear in the first place. I am thankful to Rob for finding out, and will be in next week to re-flash the VCM so I get the 45 Second shutdown, etc. Thanks to both Harleyguy and Fiskerphilly for bringing this to our attention. I have no beef with Grand Touring Automobiles as they are learning and it takes time to learn on these complex cars. They are certainly very accommodating so far and it shows great customer service.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Latest Update:
I visited Grand Touring Automobiles this AM for the resetting of the 45s shut down update. Rob did the work in 15 minutes while I was waiting sipping on a nice coffee and croissant, which they served me while waiting. Overall, although I was not too happy at the start and perhaps over reacted in my earlier posts above a little (OK, a lot), I was very very happy in the end with their standards of service, quality and customer focus. Mike and Rob are great to work with, and know their cars, for sure. I would recommend them and I would use them again, no problem. I am sure glad they are so different to your usual arrogant Mercedes and BMW dealers. Fisker rules!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apparently I do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another way to check that 520 was loaded is the chime for sport/stealth/hill should sound different as in a shortened "bong" cut off abruptly about 3/4 of its old duration. Also when you apply the parking brake, the text will be displayed in lower case letters "parking brake applied" with 520, older versions had upper case "PARKING BRAKE APPLIED"
Now the details, as a new csp they probably used configuration manager to flash the whole 520 package, which if your cars VIN is set up in the Fisker database, works just fine and will flash all modules that need updating based on what is currently in those modules and what is latest for them. That said, not all modules are getting an update with 520. The CIU is a good example, 520 does not include any updated ciu files so it gets skipped over and left at 510 level, as do several others. That's why your screen still shows 510 version.
But even if using the config manager you need to read the updated version of the bulletin, they added an additional step to flash the VCM seperate AFTER the rest of the package is flashed. During this step, we manually update the VCM and must carefully select the proper configuration for the car, with/without backup camera/NA or Europe etc. and that's where we set the 45 sec sleep function. They missed that step at least, no way to tell if the 3 inverters, ecm, ebcm, hcu, BECM have the 520 aside from a scan tool readout. To their defense though it is an easy step to miss as we always walk away while the config Mgr is doing its thing and I have forgotten to flash & configure the VCM myself before (just happen to remember before car was returned)
FiskerPhilly, I rarely apply the parking brake, but wanted to verify if I have the small cap "parking brake applied" message, so I took a picture of that message and was in disbelief that they were all in upper case. See photo. A CSP (Global Luxury Imports), although relatively new in the business, performed the 520 update in June 2015. Based on my new findings, do I have 520 or is it incomplete and needs manual intervention to complete it? This could possibly explain my P1200 engine code saga, that I've been dealing with for the past 5 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You are correct or us incomplete. I couldn't begin to tell you what modules aren't done without going in with my scan tool. It will need to be completed.

·
Registered
829 Posts
FiskerPhilly, I rarely apply the parking brake, but wanted to verify if I have the small cap "parking brake applied" message, so I took a picture of that message and was in disbelief that they were all in upper case.
FYI - Karma Automotive told us that using the parking brake regularly could help extend the life of your splines. Rocking (even slightly) against them with a 5000 lb. car is hard on them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way, I have come across one or two people who had the same experience as AHAMUSER in parts of the upgrade not having been done properly, and due to the dealer being a long distance away, they've decided to wait untill the 530 upgrade. I don't know if you can actually do that and skip one upgrade but that's what a couple of people are doing. Perhaps someone can comment on skipping.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Yes you can wait till 530 comes out . The modules that weren't updated at 520 should show up on the car configure when the program checks,the modules for the latest software level .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
problem solved for those with incomplete 520 and no easy accessd to a CSP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts