Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I recently chanced upon the dealership. The car is beautiful. However, I naturally have a great interest in the Karma's reliability,long-run performance, owner satisfaction, and corporate viability and customer service. This would be my daily driver, Thus, my intellectual and eco interests in the science side must be tempered with the reality of how well the car works every day, as well as the above subjects. Please advise your thoughts (asap), if you would be so kind. Asa final insight, would you recommend the purchase as a daily driver (on bad streets)? (Definitely, maybe, probably not, hell no.) Feel free to respond privately. I know we all wish Fisker success. Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
- It drives beautifully. That's the most important factor.

- The styling, inside and outside, and the overall feel of the car, is superb IMO. Definitely thoughtful, minimalist, and unique.

- Long-term reliability remains to be seen (it's only been for sale effectively for about 6 months), but the last two software versions appear to have ironed out all the major bugs. There's still that fact that all of our cars have a defective main battery, but Fisker has implemented a policy to exchange them slowly that minimizes downside to the customer and it's really A123's fault, not Fisker's.

- No problems with customer service since I received my car. Fisker HQ had some misinformation about exactly where my car was during its birth, but they were kind enough to "make things right" in the end.

- If you really want to talk eco/science, I would argue that you could do a lot more for the environment with $100k than buy this car. That said, I think the car's strength is actually how it performs as a daily driver, not just how good it is for the environment. (Though not having to get gas every 10 days-- or even once a year at my rate-- is pretty nice.)

- I love this car overall. It's the total experience that is just so terrific and unique. To quote my earlier post on the car sub-forum: "The Model S [or a variety of other car choices] to me is like a Swiss Army knife. The Karma is like a samurai sword. In most circumstances, the Swiss Army knife is far more practical and capable. But don't you dare take away my sword."

·
Registered
223 Posts
No, after reading everything carefully and talking with Fisker I was told a slightly inconsistent body of information, but with a general consensus that all of our Karmas (perhaps ending with the A123 recall) have defective, or potentially defective, main batteries, and will need to be replaced eventually. Only a small fraction, maybe 1%, will show symptoms (i.e., become undriveable a la Consumer Reports), but all of them will need to be replaced in the future.

I'd love for someone in the know to prove this conclusion wrong, but so far it's held up to a lot of information gathering at Fisker and elsewhere.

It's an issue, but not a deal breaker in my opinion.

[/quote]

Huh? I thought the battery recall only affected 200-250 cars and that the repairs/replacements had already been made?

[/quote]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the fast feedback. How many miles have you driven it? I will ask the dealer about the battery status. Do you or anyone else have any further insights? I am trying to decide today, literally.

I agree that all of the styling is impressive inside and out. It's the large x-factor of everything else that is causing me pause. It looks like many folks on this list have multiple cars, including those which are likely alternatives. For those who have had a Mercedes S or a Panamera or BMW M5 or 7 or Maserati/other exotic sedan and also had a Karma, what ONE would you suggest if you can only have ONE and why? Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have over 1800 miles and have been very reliable. I have had a few error messages that go away after i turn it off. No issues with reliability or being stuck. I have 6.15 and it has been very solid. I think the styling is unique and have had many people stop me and ask. I have a Ford GT and have driven it for many years. People who know cars know the history of the GT and appreciate it. Those that know about electric cars appreciate this car and what it means for the future. I love talking about gas vs electric, solar roof, and the technology of batteries. If you are looking for something different, fun, and future, this is it. :)

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
It is hard to advise you Intrigued, I don't know anything about you. So I'll tell you the advice I would give myself: BUY IT!

It is my daily driver and I've got about 3k miles and have used about 19-20 gallons of gas for those miles. Besides doing my part to reduce dependence on oil, everything about this car was designed with an ecological sensitivity. The diamond dust paint is unbelievably beautiful in the sun - and it is a brand new low emission water based paint designed especially for the Karma. I could go on and on.

But in the end, I enjoy driving my Karma. Sure it has some quirks, but what doesn't? Maybe a Lexus doesn't, but then again, it isn't the same driving experience either. I'd buy the Karma all over again. (One of these days I'll have to tell my story about the Karma and the LFA to the forum).

In fact, I am currently trying to get my spouse to trade his deposit on the model S to a Karma. So clearly my household is moving toward electric cars, making the alternatives you mention nonstarters for us. But I will mention that our M class Mercedes, which was also a new model year when we purchased it had way more problems than the Fisker. But they all worked out, just as Fisker is working theirs out.

Of course it is possible that Fisker won't, but if they do the Karma will not be a 110k car, it will be more like 140k and up. Even if environmental sensitivity is not part of what you are looking for, on looks alone the Karma is a big winner.

To summarize, my advice to myself: buy a Karma. The real difficulty is choosing the color.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Intrigued said:
Thanks for the fast feedback. How many miles have you driven it? I will ask the dealer about the battery status. Do you or anyone else have any further insights? I am trying to decide today, literally.

I agree that all of the styling is impressive inside and out. It's the large x-factor of everything else that is causing me pause. It looks like many folks on this list have multiple cars, including those which are likely alternatives. For those who have had a Mercedes S or a Panamera or BMW M5 or 7 or Maserati/other exotic sedan and also had a Karma, what ONE would you suggest if you can only have ONE and why? Thanks again.
I've had my Karma for 6 months and I'm approaching 5000 miles. It is my daily driver. It has never left me stranded. The latest software updates have removed most if not all of the electronic glitches. I would say my first 6 months with a very early Karma were comparable from a reliability standpoint with very early examples of new BMW models I have owned (78 733i, 88 750iL, 00 M5, 06 M5).

I chose the Karma over a new M5 or Panamera because of the styling and the fact that it is a PHEV, which is a technology for the future. I got 10-12 mpg in my V10 M5 - I get 50 mpg with the Karma. The Karma is not as fast but it is plenty fast enough, especially 0-50.

I'm very happy with my Karma purchase and if I had to do it over again I would make the same decision. Just be prepared to answer a lot of questions from strangers about your beautiful car. :D

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
dennis said:
Intrigued said:

I've had my Karma for 6 months and I'm approaching 5000 miles. It is my daily driver. It has never left me stranded. The latest software updates have removed most if not all of the electronic glitches. I would say my first 6 months with a very early Karma were comparable from a reliability standpoint with very early examples of new BMW models I have owned (78 733i, 88 750iL, 00 M5, 06 M5).

I chose the Karma over a new M5 or Panamera because of the styling and the fact that it is a PHEV, which is a technology for the future. I got 10-12 mpg in my V10 M5 - I get 50 mpg with the Karma. The Karma is not as fast but it is plenty fast enough, especially 0-50.

I'm very happy with my Karma purchase and if I had to do it over again I would make the same decision. Just be prepared to answer a lot of questions from strangers about your beautiful car. :D
I fully agree with Dennis. Mine is my daily driver and I am very happy with it. I have slightly more than 5000 miles on mine and feel perfectly confident driving it everywhere. If I had to make the same decision again today, I would choose the Karma.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all of you for your responses. They were very helpful and encouraging. Consequently, I am now in the Karma family myself, having bought one last night. Silver Wind with Monsoon Tri-tone. I look forward to taking delivery, as I was only able to test drive the demo car and never actually saw mine in the sunlight. I'm sure I will stay in touch and have other questions. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Intrigued said:
Thanks to all of you for your responses. They were very helpful and encouraging. Consequently, I am now in the Karma family myself, having bought one last night. Silver Wind with Monsoon Tri-tone. I look forward to taking delivery, as I was only able to test drive the demo car and never actually saw mine in the sunlight. I'm sure I will stay in touch and have other questions. Thanks again!
Are you buying it from inventory or are they building new for you? Great combo btw!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SoCalGuy said:
Intrigued said:
Are you buying it from inventory or are they building new for you? Great combo btw!
From their inventory of 2 cars. I happen to like the color scheme.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Intrigued said:
SoCalGuy said:
Intrigued said:
When are they delivering it to you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SoCalGuy said:
Intrigued said:
SoCalGuy said:
Intrigued said:
Today. I guess I am lucky I didn't have to wait as long as those who ordered them at the outset.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Intrigued said:
SoCalGuy said:
Intrigued said:
SoCalGuy said:
Intrigued said:
Today. I guess I am lucky I didn't have to wait as long as those who ordered them at the outset.
Excellent - congrats and welcome to the family! Time for some photos!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Congratulatons on buying a stunning car. And on having to wait just two days for it (versus my four years). :rolleyes:

I've driven almost 8,000 miles and the battery has given me no problems at all! For those interested: the tires are also holding up well, no excessive wearing (mostly highway driving).

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
:thumbup: Good decision Intrigued. When someone asks the same question in a couple of months, I hope you'll be the first one to say: BUY IT!

Now you can change your profile to "owner" and add your location.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts