Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In June, I am relocating (for at least a year to Florida from California). Does anybody have any recommendations for car shipping (presumably closed container) for Karmas?

Simon

·
Registered
189 Posts
My experiences (I have shipped both enclosed and open) is enclosed carriers are not worth the additional expense. Actual damage risks are low to nonexistent in transport and are primarily present at the load/unload aspects. The perceived benefits of an enclosed carrier (car is safe and clean) depends on the type of trailer and driver experience. I had a fully detailed car shipped from So CA to VA in an enclosed/covered carrier and it arrived dusty and a little dirty, as dust blew into the trailer (they are not air tight) and water leaked into trailer (most are not water tight). It appeared there was a heavy rain somewhere in the journey - keep in mind this was a soft side trailer (majority of them are) which you don’t know what you get unless you are working with the actual carrier/driver and not just a broker.

Your primary concern should be rock chips, which can easily be mitigated with a request that your car be “top loaded” which is reasonable if it isn't transferred too often.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am nervous about my Karma being in the open all the way across the country, so will be opting for the enclosed carrier. Are there recommendations on a carrier company that has proven to be reliable and careful with these cars?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Hi all,

In June, I am relocating (for at least a year to Florida from California). Does anybody have any recommendations for car shipping (presumably closed container) for Karmas?

Simon
When I relocated back to SF from New Hampshire, @FiskerPhilly arranged for my car's transport with Reliable Carriers. The car was transported in a fully enclosed truck and for a very fair price. The driver was very professional and showed up exactly as scheduled and unloaded my car without any drama on a busy SF Street.

Since my experience with them was almost two years ago, I would check with Joe to see if he is still using them, and if so, would seriously consider them as a candidate.

But whatever you do, try to avoid the temptation to enter your information into a "car transport" site you find using google. Some of them are still calling me to see if I need to my car transported. The whole thing sounds very sketchy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am nervous about my Karma being in the open all the way across the country, so will be opting for the enclosed carrier. Are there recommendations on a carrier company that has proven to be reliable and careful with these cars?
Jomak shipped my car to Atlanta in an enclosed carrier, as him for details!

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Jomak shipped my car to Atlanta in an enclosed carrier, as him for details!
Yes I did, it takes a while. I went to uship got bids on closed container shipping and then I called the cheapest bidder directly and arranged shipping. The issue is you have to wait for them to find a driver. It took them almost 3 weeks to get the car from San Jose to Atlanta. Cost was around $1,500 for that.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all - I will update the forum when I've followed up on this and got things sorted!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you don't ever want to see your car, or that student, ever again, yes, this is a great way to do it. :-/

If you select a stranger, I'd agree.
I primarily was thinking of somebody you know, at a student rate :)

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having discounted my son to drive the car cross-country (!), I have selected Montway Auto Transport to do the job. They will ship the Karma and my beloved Mercedes to Florida in an enclosed carrier for $2300. I will let you all know how the experience went in mid-July...

Thank you for the tip about UShip, that was how I made the decision. They charged a $100 commission for their help, which I was happy to pay.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not to be one who does not follow up on promises; my Karma arrived safely in Florida on July 27th. UShip was a great suggestion (thank you Jomak) - they were very supportive and helpful after Montway flaked on their contract and helped me find another shipper in very short order.

I know you all love images, so...

The only casualty was my AMG Mercedes (somehow they squished the heat shield against the drive shaft causing an annoying ting-ting-ting noise - easily fixed, so all okay :)).

(Apologies for showing off my other baby). Of course, the only photos taken on the day by the drivers were of the Karma...

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
@shrowell, congratulations on the safe arrival of your cars. It's always exciting to see a Karma roll off the back of a car carrier. Also, you are now in @Harleyguy territory (well, at least in the same state). The AMG looks great too, and you should get plenty of enjoyment out of the drop top.

Have the neighbors started dropping by to chat about the Karma yet? It is bound to happen.

Happy Travels.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I also had Fisker Philly/Joe F ship my Fisker from Philly to The Cleveland ,Ohio area via a covered transport. Joe and the transport Company did a great job getting my car rushed to Ohio to meet my travel schedule.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts