Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Karma back from the 5K service and 6.28 update. I noticed the dealership charged me $66.24 for the oil change. Has anybody else been charged for oil changes? Back when Mercedes had free service during the warranty period, I never saw charges for oil changes, so I were supprised to see one for the Karma.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Sigurd said:
I just got my Karma back from the 5K service and 6.28 update. I noticed the dealership charged me $66.24 for the oil change. Has anybody else been charged for oil changes? Back when Mercedes had free service during the warranty period, I never saw charges for oil changes, so I were supprised to see one for the Karma.
My oil change at 5K miles was free, including 5 quarts of 5W30 and a new filter. All maintenance is included for 4 years/50K miles.

I suggest calling Fisker Consumer Affairs at 855-575-7577 ext. 2 so they can set the dealer straight and get you a refund.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harleyguy said:
The sechedule services are free unless you want a LOF which you have to pay for
What is an LOF?
I did talk to Fisker customer service and they straightened out my dealer so I guess I'll get a refund.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sigurd said:
Harleyguy said:
What is an LOF?
I did talk to Fisker customer service and they straightened out my dealer so I guess I'll get a refund.
I am guessing he meant Lube, Oil, Filter. Not sure though.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Karma 2012 said:
Sigurd said:
Harleyguy said:
What is an LOF?
Now I'm confused. That is pretty much what the 5K service is, plus a multipoint inspection.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Sigurd said:
Karma 2012 said:
Sigurd said:
Harleyguy said:
What is an LOF?
Now I'm confused. That is pretty much what the 5K service is, plus a multipoint inspection.
Correct, I got my 5K LOF for free at Fisker Silicon Valley, as I posted earlier.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Sorry being in this industry so long LOF is a lube oil and filter in most shops and it doesn't have to be Fisker if you ask for a LOF that's all you get a 5 K service or any service they go though the whole car etc .

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I think I got it. If you go to the dealer and ask for just an LOF, then you pay for it. But, if it is a scheduled service which is supposed to include LOF, then you don't have to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Hey Harelyguy! I always love reading your posts, thanks. Now that I know what one is, how often do you think we should get an LOF for the Karma? I know some people reccomend (for regular cars) every 3k miles.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
IMHO, having the oil changed based on miles for the Karma is silly, wasteful, and wrong since it is merely the drive unit for a generator. Military generator sets base oil changes based on a time schedule and hours of operation, i.e. every 500 operating hours, but at least once per year. I think Fisker would save a bunch more money doing it this way and our cars would not be any worse for the change.

·
Registered
913 Posts
kabalah70 said:
IMHO, having the oil changed based on miles for the Karma is silly, wasteful, and wrong since it is merely the drive unit for a generator. Military generator sets base oil changes based on a time schedule and hours of operation, i.e. every 500 operating hours, but at least once per year. I think Fisker would save a bunch more money doing it this way and our cars would not be any worse for the change.
Hours of operation combined with "environment and age" is generally the best way to do it. Environment is tricky (it's easier with stationary gensets since you know what sort of environment they've been in, vs a car that drives into different ones) and "age" is just "how long since the last oil change". For conventional vehicles, distance-traveled is a not-too-terrible measure of hours-of-operation since the car usually moves while the motor runs and not while it doesn't. For the Karma (or any other PHEV), it would be best if the computer tracked "hours of operation".

Whether the current programming does so, I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
kabalah70 said:
For conventional cars, distance traveled is a reasonable approximation of "engine use", which itself is a useful metric to measure oil life.

As has been noted, with a PHEV distance traveled no longer has a very high correlation with engine use. For people who drive in Sport most of the time it will be reasonably close, but with our engine's operation profile "engine use" is not as strongly correlated with oil life anymore. For people who drive in stealth some or most of the time (most of us, I suspect) distance traveled is essentially meaningless.

Our usage of the engine is much closer to the model followed by aviation; the distance a plane flies is not a particularly good approximation for how much the engine is used, as it doesn't account for ground operation, and varies widely by mission (many short flights uses the engine very differently than one long one, even if the distances match) In the aviation world, the two factors that trigger the need to change the oil are calendar time (every x months, for example) or by directly measuring engine use via a Hobbs meter or some other monitor. For light aircraft for hire or rent, for example, the engine oil is generally changed every 50 Hobbs hours.

I suspect that somewhere the car is keeping track of engine operation hours, but this data isn't exposed to us. I don't know if there are "Service Soon" indicators in the car that actually use this data, but I'm skeptical. Fisker's own printed service intervals speak in terms of miles driven.

Brent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts