Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I push the seat heat button I hold my breath to see if it will turn on or not. Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem? It seems to work about 50% of the time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I push the seat heat button I hold my breath to see if it will turn on or not. Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem? It seems to work about 50% of the time.
Mines the same way, looks like the screen freezes and doesn't work when I push the heat seat button on the touch screen. It has more to do with it being intergrated with karma CIU @ maybe 80% of the time working for me. Buggy software, somethings we just have to deal with for now. The only solution is to put the car to sleep and reawaken then try again, with any glitching/freezing of screen.

If your really having problems check your sw version to see if it's 100% updated to latest one from CIU screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have the most up to date software so trying to figure out if it was just me or not. Sometimes on my drive it will not work & if I keep driving & try it later it seems to work on the same trip. Seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
The button had three heat positions every time you push the button it changes just make sure the button lights up then cycle through it . One thing I never checked is the seat heater system not to often we need it in South Florida .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I push it & the screen clicks but no lights show up when it does not work.

When it does work I get the 3 lights & can continue to select my level desired.

·
Registered
42 Posts
1. Is your 12v battery ok? The heaters will not engage if your vehicle sees its battery voltage being too low.

2. There has been great many issues with the IBS that detects the battery voltage, also seen too many wires cut / shorted behind the back cover of the front seats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Is your 12v battery ok? The heaters will not engage if your vehicle sees its battery voltage being too low.

2. There has been great many issues with the IBS that detects the battery voltage, also seen too many wires cut / shorted behind the back cover of the front seats.
Can I see the 12 volt battery level on the CIU some where? Everything else seems to be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Can I see the 12 volt battery level on the CIU some where? Everything else seems to be fine. Also both seats will turn on or not turn on at the same time so I am guessing that might indicate that it isn't a short.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I've had the seat heater not work a few times. EVERY time it was when I didn't wait for the car to completely wake up before I started driving.

When I start the car, I wait for the CIU to stop humming, even after the car says "READY" or "STEALTH" to change anything. When I follow that procedure, no problems. It only takes a minute, and is a small offset for the time saved at the gas pump, (that is how I look at it anyway).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can I see the 12 volt battery level on the CIU some where? Everything else seems to be fine.
I've had the seat heater not work a few times. EVERY time it was when I didn't wait for the car to completely wake up before I started driving.

When I start the car, I wait for the CIU to stop humming, even after the car says "READY" or "STEALTH" to change anything. When I follow that procedure, no problems. It only takes a minute, and is a small offset for the time saved at the gas pump, (that is how I look at it anyway).

I usually get in & go. I will have to try that. Not sure of the humming you are referring to but will try to wait to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I just tried it by waiting before pushing the start button & it seemed to work. Hopefully it will do that all the time now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Fisker has what is called a "12volt power net management" system. It's an intelligent piece of software that will start to disable low priority 12 volt systems in an event that it detects the 12 volt is low.

Seat heater is one of the first modules to be disabled. When the system detects the 12 volt is healthy enough, it will re-enable the seat heaters. That's why several of you who reported this happening will find the seat heater working again after a few minutes.

It is not a CIU issue.

Why it happens? The 12 volt system draws the most power during a start up procedure because every module is waking up. The high voltage system is charging the 12 volt but that is also being ramped up. Especially if you are pressing the brake, or turning the steering wheel also. These two modules draws the most power from the 12 volt system.
During this short start up duration, the 12volt power net management might detect a "low voltage" condition and start disabling modules. Hence the seat heaters will go first.

Typically, the seat heater is the only module that gets disabled and it is enough for the power to come back to the healthy state.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Fisker has what is called a "12volt power net management" system. It's an intelligent piece of software that will start to disable low priority 12 volt systems in an event that it detects the 12 volt is low.

Seat heater is one of the first modules to be disabled. When the system detects the 12 volt is healthy enough, it will re-enable the seat heaters. That's why several of you who reported this happening will find the seat heater working again after a few minutes.

It is not a CIU issue.

Why it happens? The 12 volt system draws the most power during a start up procedure because every module is waking up. The high voltage system is charging the 12 volt but that is also being ramped up. Especially if you are pressing the brake, or turning the steering wheel also. These two modules draws the most power from the 12 volt system.
During this short start up duration, the 12volt power net management might detect a "low voltage" condition and start disabling modules. Hence the seat heaters will go first.

Typically, the seat heater is the only module that gets disabled and it is enough for the power to come back to the healthy state.
I had this issue occur yesterday. On Friday night, we drove the Karma and the seat heaters worked fine. The ICE kicked on to cycle the gas as I almost never drive intentionally in Sport mode. We drove about 11 miles before parking the car. On Saturday morning, the seat heaters did not work, I assume because of the 12V power net management system described above.

My question - is this a symptom of an original 12V battery that is starting to fail and needs to be replaced?

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
My question - is this a symptom of an original 12V battery that is starting to fail and needs to be replaced?
No, not necessarily. The car has had this behavior since the beginning, even when all of the 12V batteries were new.

It sure would be nice if a little message like "Seat Heaters temporarily disabled" appeared when you press the button, and better yet "Bun Warmer Mode Reactivated" when the car will let you turn them on!

Brent

·
Registered
334 Posts
No, not necessarily. The car has had this behavior since the beginning, even when all of the 12V batteries were new.

It sure would be nice if a little message like "Seat Heaters temporarily disabled" appeared when you press the button, and better yet "Bun Warmer Mode Reactivated" when the car will let you turn them on!

Brent
Thanks for the history Brent.

·
Registered
108 Posts

It is not a CIU issue.

I sure hope they eliminate this "disabling of the seat heaters" in Baseline 540!
I am on BL530 and still having issues with it. Looks like BL535 will not address it either.
It is extremely annoying, you would think that with a fully charged drive battery and the genset running a simple thing like a seat heater wouldn't be such an issue. Shoot, my motorcycle can power a full set of heated clothing without an issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts