Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noise in sport mode only

When the ICE is on there is a noise only when accelerating coming from the left side of the vehicle. This noise is not coming the ICE but appears to be around or near the brake resovoir. The noice sound like a ratchering noise, sorter like the sound made when calibrating the parking brake but much louder. It occurs only when accelerating from a stop and stops after a few seconds. It doesn't do it all the time but is starting to become more regular. Does anyone have any ideal what is going on.

Samuel

·
Registered
197 Posts
Noise in sport mode only

When the ICE is on there is a noise only when accelerating coming from the left side of the vehicle. This noise is not coming the ICE but appears to be around or near the brake resovoir. The noice sound like a ratchering noise, sorter like the sound made when calibrating the parking brake but much louder. It occurs only when accelerating from a stop and stops after a few seconds. It doesn't do it all the time but is starting to become more regular. Does anyone have any ideal what is going on.

Samuel
My car has always done that since purchase. My dealer had it checked out in the past without any particular conclusion, and now I have CEL. I read the code today, and it was P0014. I wonder if you are having the same issue I am having.

See
http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13...ion-indicator-light-check-engine-light-9.html

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Is it a metal, sort of rattling noise? Most likely exhaust rattle. If you've ever had the center resonator changed out, if they didn't adjust the mounting nipple on the exhaust can, it rattles on the bolted-on mount to the car.

The P0014 code doesn't cause any noise

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Fisker Silicon Valley is being responsive to customers and they're still servicing Karmas. When FA comes back online, they'll help customers submit warranty claims for reimbursement.

That's better than a kick in the pants. :)
I really don't think the dealerships will ever see any reimbursement of any work that's being done now **** we didn't get reimbursed for work we did four months a go

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The noise doesn't appear to come from the exhaust or the bottom area of the car. It seems to be higher up.

Because it oocurs only on acceleration and not on cruising it would seem to be more like the exhaust as Lormax mentions. The fact that it only occurs when the ICE is on further leads to the conclusion that it is exhaust related.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the fans cooling and how long should the fan blow when the vehicle is turned off? The fan has always been quite loud and sometimes it stay on longer than other times and one time I had to unplug the charger before the fan went off. Should you wait for the fan to go off before pluging the charger in? Tonight after a long drive in stealth mode when I turned the car off the fan was not running. I can't recall the fan not running when you turn the car off after a long drive.

·
Registered
483 Posts
What is the fans cooling and how long should the fan blow when the vehicle is turned off? The fan has always been quite loud and sometimes it stay on longer than other times and one time I had to unplug the charger before the fan went off. Should you wait for the fan to go off before pluging the charger in? Tonight after a long drive in stealth mode when I turned the car off the fan was not running. I can't recall the fan not running when you turn the car off after a long drive.
Scurry,

Originally the Karma had 3 cooling fans on the Karma (Two if you have had the Cooling Fan Recall performed). If you have not had the recall performed, TOW IT to your closest dealership because they have a habit of catching fire on the way to dealerships to have it performed (yes, really).

Anyways, the center cooling fan is for the A/C Condenser & ICE which means it will be running if you have the A/C on or if the ICE is above a set temperature.

- If this is the fan you are hearing after shutting the vehicle off, get back into the car and turn it on to Accessory. Go to the Climate Control screen on the TPI and press the OFF button and you will be good to go. Just remember to do this before turning the car off from now on when using the A/C. Its a software issue.

The 2nd (smaller) cooling an is located on the passenger side of the car behind the front bumper and is for the power electronics (inverters/motors/obcm cooling system). If the car is at the latest software level (BL510) then it's considered normal for it to run for about 2-3 minutes after shutting off the car, especially in high ambient temperatures & if the car has been driven hard.

This fan may also turn on when the car is charging if the temperature of the cooling system is hot enough (high ambient temps/recently driven hard). Sometimes you can get it to turn off by unplugging the charger & plugging it back in like you described.

- If it is always on any time the car is plugged in then there may be an issue with the OBCM or elsewhere in the system (trapped air/kinked hose etc...).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have some clicking noises from the left rear when turning to the right while accelerating. Maybe it's because I am listening through the drivers side window that I only hear it from the left. It generally disappears at 10+ mph, but if I slow down I can hear it being related to the spinning of the wheel, so I assume it's brake related (car has driven 1500 miles).

Has anyone had this clicking and can guess at a solution?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Actually the clicking maybe coming from the front wheels but thier is a fix for it Fisker came out with a redesigned lug nut . You can stop by your local dealer and ask them if they have any in stock . Before the new lug nuts came out we would remove the wheels and use antiseize compound between the rim and rotor face . Depending on driving conditions it may last a few weeks to a few months before it wasn't effective anymore . That's why they came out with new lug nuts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Many thanks, Harleyguy. I hope they have it and are still in business.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If you need the lug nuts and can't find them locally, shoot me a PM. I know we still have quite a few in our Parts Dept.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wonderful. I will check Monday.

·
Registered
197 Posts
After each car wash, the front wheels tends to seize up overnight. Is this due to the Brembo brakes? or other contributing factors? Does anyone know if this will eventually damage the car?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
After each car wash, the front wheels tends to seize up overnight. Is this due to the Brembo brakes? or other contributing factors? Does anyone know if this will eventually damage the car?
That's just rust. A few hard brakes clears it up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same here. I think my sound is more severe. It seems to be coming from the drivers side. My car is really not driveable. I really am afraid to drive on ICE. It sounds like the turbocharger is seizing up. Not good. Mostly when accelerating even slightly hitting the gas. It's very loud. It sounds like a fan shroud is getting hit by the blades. I also have a major problem with my ac. If I wait at a light for very long, the air temperature drops considerably and will not get cold again until I shut the car off and back on. I'm in Florida so it's becoming a major problem when in traffic. I thought the ac may have something to do with the sound, (compressor bad??) but it only makes the sound on ICE. Bad timing with no warranty but I just need to bite the bullet and get it fixed. If anyone has an idea please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Struthers: For the sound, I'm betting it's the exhaust banging on its mount. If you've had the new exhaust installed, then I'm 95% sure of it. The new exhaust changes the mounting angle/position slightly enough that the hangers on the back of the exhaust cans need an adjustment after everything is bolted in. A long prybar wedged in correctly will allow the hanger to be bent towards the outside of the car (toward the fender) and put some space between the hanger and the bolted on mount. This is most important on the driver side, though I usually tweak both sides when I do an exhaust. I'll be doing an exhaust in the near future, I'll try to take some pictures.

Regarding the AC issue, try this. Turn the car on to System Ready. Turn the AC on max cool. Then get out of the car and listen for a fan running (You can pop the hood to help listen. Also putting your hand in front of the large gap to feel air being sucked in can be done as well). It's the fan that's dead center, behind the radiator. If that fan isn't running, then you have no airflow past the radiator/condenser at a stop. The fan will need to be replaced. If the fan is running, report back please. You may have the old HVAC module and will need to upgrade it to get the latest software.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Same here. I think my sound is more severe. It seems to be coming from the drivers side. My car is really not driveable. I really am afraid to drive on ICE. It sounds like the turbocharger is seizing up. Not good. Mostly when accelerating even slightly hitting the gas. It's very loud. It sounds like a fan shroud is getting hit by the blades. I also have a major problem with my ac. If I wait at a light for very long, the air temperature drops considerably and will not get cold again until I shut the car off and back on. I'm in Florida so it's becoming a major problem when in traffic. I thought the ac may have something to do with the sound, (compressor bad??) but it only makes the sound on ICE. Bad timing with no warranty but I just need to bite the bullet and get it fixed. If anyone has an idea please share your thoughts.
Isn't Fisker of Tampa still servicing cars ??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes they are still servicing just not warranting. I'm just concerned that it's something major, like the turbo for the sound issue and possibly a major component of the ac system. I did not have the new exhaust system installed. Can you explain why people are changing out their system? Was it a warranty issue also? I will check the ac fan. When I take off from the red light after the ac loses coldness, wouldn't it get cool again though even if the fan weren't functioning?

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Lormax, Are there any customer cars that *don't* have the "new" exhaust system? I assume you're referring to the 'pizza box' resonator that Fisker switched to after the road-show but before production deliveries began. IIRC, even cars delivered as early as December 2011 had the "new" exhaust.

Struthers, I'm inclined to agree that the noise you're hearing is most likely a very common (and very solvable) rattling/vibration of the exhaust. The fact that you only hear it when the ICE is on, and that it seems localized to the drivers side, tends to reinforce this. Search around these forums for "buzzing" or "rattling" exhaust and you'll find several threads. Since it's a metal-on-metal sound it can often sound like a much scarier problem. Do you notice if the sound changes or disappears with changes in speed, road conditions or engine load? Exhaust rattles will often exhibit that behavior too.

Brent

1 - 20 of 137 Posts