Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got tired of my S4 sitting in the cup holder so low that I could not touch the lower button or control songs so I drew up a custom holder that fits the Karma cup holder with the rubber X thing at the bottom.

The holder inserts fully into the X rubber base and supported all around the cup holder. It can be rotated to face the driver. I added the features for the charge port but have not had time to install that yet.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/114842993658395516587/albums/6009688813533464769

·
Registered
886 Posts
Cool. Looks good!

Are you planing a mass production and same holder for other phones?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can now that I have the sizing right for the cup and angle. What type of phone are you looking to hold?

I have a personal 3D printer that I have been doing this work on so the quantity is limited if if someone wanted one I can print them.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'd like to fit my iPhone 5 into such holder, but I'm using a case, which ads some to the phone.

Could you please describe the process? How do you generate/scan/draw the image to print 3D?

Are these personal 3D printers ready to build good quality objects?
I saw one in a store and it produced one piece of sh.. after another

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the mechanical design in Solidworks. I bought a 3D printer for the house a few weeks ago since the prices have dropped quite a bit. I bought a makebot knock off for ~$700. The print quality is really good. You can get about .005" details.

Making good parts is a bit of trial and error. Once you find the formula you can print all day long with no issues. There is a bit of software and hardware setup tweaking involved.

For these parts since they are somewhat large I printed them in a draft mode out of both PLA and ABS.

For the iphone 5 with a case, send me the size and I can see about making the a model for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts