Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After more than three months ownership - I had to visit the gas station for the first time today - about 1500 miles - about 143mpg . . .

·
Registered
189 Posts
After more than three months ownership - I had to visit the gas station for the first time today - about 1500 miles - about 143mpg . . .
First, Congratulation!

Isn't if funny how the relationship with the gas station becomes almost a shameful visit. Like you, I am glad I only have to do it a couple times.

When I first got the Karma, I took it on some long trips because I enjoy driving it so much, but it brought down my average milage. So, now I am trying to hold out for until 3000 miles on a single tank, so I can get my lifetime milage above 100mpg. I have 400milles more to go, and about 2 or 3 gallons of gas left. As the weather warms up and I get a little better range, I should be golden.

·
Registered
535 Posts
That is sad. My Karmanniversary today. 5400 miles on 25 gallons.
Ira: first of all, I'm the kind of guy who thinks that's awesome. So "yeah!"
But doesn't whoever services up your car advise you to use the ICE every so often, just to keep it limber? Or do you do this, but in such small increments that its allowed you to stay on the first tank? We run ours out of charge every now and then, on purpose, to exercise the ICE.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Why would you like to waste gas? I thought, Karma starts the ICE from time to time, to take care of the ICE... This should be enough.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The high mileage you guys achieve is impressive, and should be lauded. But for other people, like me, bought the Karma because it was both the electric and range extending ICE combination. No range anxiety. I do not treat my Karma as a special car that I only take on trips that are less than the battery range, I drive it like any normal cars. All you short rangers are missing out on the pleasure of driving the Karma for short or long distances.

So I dont have the ridiculously high mileage you guys have, but I drive my karma every day, and in the 14k miles I have put on the car, including 2-300 mile trips, I have a average MPG between 55 and 60. I think that is pretty good given real world scenarios and not the MPG hunt you are on.

I am hoping that when it is time to replace the battery, technology will allow a much longer range before the ICE is needed.

For the meantime, get the Karma's out of your garage, drive it in the rain, snow and nice weather. It is a car, not a queen and should be driven.

·
Cloud Based App Developer
91 Posts
Arch Fisker, I agree with you that this car should be driven and that's where all the fun lies. I notice you have 14k miles. Can you share if you had any problem with your car during all those 14k miles ? Is your Vin in the lows or highs ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a low vin -421 it is a 'standard' Knocking on wood, no problems what so ever. Lormax did the CIU sealing and exhaust repairs, but luckily so far no Spline or RDM issues. I drive the car hard, and raced it one day as well, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. My best car ever to drive. Period.

·
Cloud Based App Developer
91 Posts
Well, I have a low vin as well so it's a good news. I hope you don't run into any issue. Please keep us all posted how it goes... How did you find out if you need to repair exhaust and why was it needed to seal the CIU ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The exhaust repair was a Lormax/Fisker repair Bulletin item. there are baffles in the muffler that rattle unless you metal punch the bottom of the muffler in a bunch of spots. So it was just to eliminate a rattle.

Lormax suggested sealing the CIU along with lots of other Fisker Owners on this site. you can read volumes on the threads.

·
320 Posts
I've started a prayer vigil for you and the rest of the owners who take their cars to the local grocery store and back.

I've put 16k miles on mine in 14 months and enjoy the freedom of driving my Karma hard and more than 18 miles from my house. I'm not afraid to put the car in sport mode to experience the added acceleration.

Not all of us can afford to own 2 cars or have the luxury of working within that limited range (if at all).

P.S. Let's see who can hold their breath the longest...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've started a prayer vigil for you and the rest of the owners who take their cars to the local grocery store and back.

I've put 16k miles on mine in 14 months and enjoy the freedom of driving my Karma hard and more than 18 miles from my house. I'm not afraid to put the car in sport mode to experience the added acceleration.

Not all of us can afford to own 2 cars or have the luxury of working within that limited range (if at all).

P.S. Let's see who can hold their breath the longest...
why do your post always seem to be taking a personal pot shot? "Not all of us can afford to own 2 cars or have the luxury of working within that limited range (if at all).

P.S. Let's see who can hold their breath the longest. -

. . . anyway . . my commute is 13 miles door to door - although i only have to go to the office 3 times a week usually, its my main car for running errands - i just haven't taken any long trips - even when i go to OC its usually a long day and I can charge there on a blink network- the post was a sort of joke - the car is my main car - the only thing i dont do - is take the dogs to dog beach . . . and furthermore I specifically eliminated the tesla (besides its ugly and becoming ubiquitous) was specifically because of the range extended engine. i plan on driving it to Phoenix soon (from san diego) -

i am glad you are enjoying your Karma as much as I am.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Back to the topic. I think the takeaway from all of this is that the Karma functions beautifully for those who can or choose to use it primarily in electric only mode, and equally as well for those that use it the way I think Henrik imagined it - a regular Sport Sedan that combined fantastic styling and great mileage. I only wish I could get the 200+ battery miles that the Tesla gets. That would elevate the Karma to the next tier definately - Wanxiang are you listening??????

·
Registered
192 Posts
Having ordered my Karma 3 years before delivery, and now having driven it for 2 years, 98% electric miles, I have to say that everyone's situation is different, and casts directions on how the vehicle may/must be used.
During the waiting period, my wife developed Altzheimers Disease involuntarily placing me in a caretakers position, which I willingly accept. BTW, I'm 81 years old. This unfortunate circumstance has put an end to longer trips, limiting us, not the Karma, to shorter drives. Post office, grocery store, etc. tops our list of destinations.
I would love to take a trip of many miles in the Fisker, but that is not to be. A drive to the local airport where I keep my now unused plane, 15 miles each way, is about the farthest we go. A rare trip into Dallas, 25 miles, hardly counts.
Please don't take "pot shots" without knowing the others circumstances. Walk a mile in his shoes first.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
i have read on different sites that MIT has a battery for the Karma with 8x the range we currently have. Israel has developed a battery with 1000 mile range. i don't see any problem with a battery with significant more range being installed in our current Karma's

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have read on different sites that MIT has a battery for the Karma with 8x the range we currently have. Israel has developed a battery with 1000 mile range. i don't see any problem with a battery with significant more range being installed in our current Karma's
batteries with incredible properties seem to always be on the horizon. like nuclear fusion. I think (and I have no real data to back this up) battery technology is like evolution and follows "punctuated equilibrium" - wherein things stay relatively stable for long periods of time but are punctuated by sudden and radical change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts