Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rusnak is both incompetent and dishonest. I brought my car in with a check engine light and was told by Raffe Chamoun, the service writer, I needed two battery modules and a battery harness and that the cost would be $7,100. He later told me I needed solenoids. Since he seemed very confused, I asked for the part numbers and he then told me I needed "contractors." Actually, I needed "contactors." I posted the issue on FiskerBuzz and HarleyGuy told me he did the job for $1600. A European owner told me he had just had the job done for the equivalent of $2,500.

I did a screen clip of the comments and sent it to Raffe. Raffe called me later in the day to tell me how lucky I was because Rusnak had discovered I really needed an Electrical Discharge Module (EDM) and now they could do the job for $2,900. I asked to speak to the general manager Andrew. I was told he wasn't in because he was dealing with his wife's cancer (TMI.) I asked for the service manager and was transferred to Courtney. I told her I would agree to have the work done for $2,900, but I wanted a concession given the original $7,100 quote that was only changed as a result of my inquiries and would speak to the GM about it. She said "I don't do business like that. I am not going to make the repair." I asked her to have the GM Andrew call me. He did and left a message stating Courtney had told him I wanted the repair done at cost. That was a complete lie. I never said anything other than I wanted to talk to Andrew about a concession, given they wanted to charge me $7,100 and only found out about the EDM after I send information from the experts on this forum.

Then I called the Karma Automotive sales manager at Rusnak, Mark Thomas. He emailed me to confirm if I wanted to have the repairs done for the $2,900 quoted. I replied in the affirmative. In legal terms, that is an offer and acceptance. The next morning I got an email from Raffe telling me I needed to pick up my car or I would be charged storage fees because they wouldn't do the job. That is a breach of contract.

The job was eventually done by Sterling BMW for $2,750 so I don't have monetary damages and can't sue Rusnak. But Rusnak should be avoided like the plague because they will rip you off. As far as I am concerned, there is NO service provider in Southern California because Sterling is no longer under contract with Karma. Joost told me that Karma purchased the former Rolls Royce dealership in Newport Beach and that it would be online in February, but I'll believe that when I see it.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
The rolls-royce dealership moved to the old "fisker" dealer in Irvine, I think Damon Shelly now runs the Orange County Rolls-Royce dealership. Karma is claiming that they bought the old dealership across from the airport? This will now be a dealer and service center? I don't think they can compete legally with existing private dealerships, like Rusnak in California.There are anti-trust laws that require that either a vehicle manufacturer goes franchise or direct (not both). If they are competing with an existing dealer then that dealer would have a legal claim that Karma can under-cut them etc. Further, Karma in press releases claimed they are having an "experience" (not sales) center at their new headquarters in Irvine... This would negate the need for a pricey 6 million dollar service/sales center at the former Rolls-Royce dealership. Then again I have seen their horrible management piss away money, so who knows.

Joost IMO is not the most forthcoming of people with regards to reality. We will depo him again and get the truth from him in the coming months. Karma themselves now owes us close to a million. I don't think their reputation is any better than Rusnak at this point with regards to the way they are handling customers. Your best bet is to find an independent (some people have had luck with independent technician Alex Pop).

EDIT: Just did a property search and Karma does not own the fee to the former Rolls Royce property it is owned by VIA DEL RIO LLC. So perhaps they are purpotedly leasing the portion that Rolls Royce occupied. Lotus still operates out of that building. Does not make much sense. I know Damon Shelly got burned by Fisker previously and cannot see him working with them again (he also runs the Lotus dealer).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joost told me it would be a service center. I got the impression it would also be the sales center. He definitely told me Karma had purchased the old Rolls Royce dealership in Newport Beach. Joost told me this at the "experience" at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills. Alex Pop had told me when he did some repairs for me earlier in the year that he was no longer involved with Karma Automotive and wouldn't be servicing Fiskers.

·
1,172 Posts
Interesting....

When you spoke to Rusnak did they tell you if they had any Revero orders? I have not heard of anyone placing an order (either directly or anecdotally).

You would think their next location would be somewhere up in the bay area since that is logically the second largest market (vs two in Southern California). Maybe their new plan is to make $$ off service which I believe they can do directly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmmm. I was attempting to warn others about incompetency with a Fisker repair technician and my comments got deleted. Why does this remain? Is there some bias from the administrator and the subject in question? Probably best to treat everyone fairly on a public message board.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PowerSource: I have no information about Revero orders.

irarref215: I have no information about why my post was not deleted. There were numerous warnings a couple of years ago about bad experiences with a service tech that were not deleted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Forum moderators should always remain neutral and no just there to delete posts they don't agree with. I had work done and the shop was incompetent and parts came off at speed. It was pretty ugly and I thought the community would like to know since the shop failed many times to step up and take at least some small, tiny morsel of responsibility. 'Good 'ol boys club' is what we call that.

@ Karma373 Sorry you have had a bad ride with the service center, but great the moderator left your post alone. Good luck with your car, I really enjoyed driving mine.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Forum moderators should always remain neutral and no just there to delete posts they don't agree with. I had work done and the shop was incompetent and parts came off at speed. It was pretty ugly and I thought the community would like to know since the shop failed many times to step up and take at least some small, tiny morsel of responsibility. 'Good 'ol boys club' is what we call that.
We are neutral; factual and on-topic posts are respected. Your exchange with Pat was deleted because you had hijacked an unrelated thread for a rant session. As I explained at the time:

@irarref215 and @Patrizio33 I have deleted your posts because they are off-topic and appear to relate to matters that should be handled via direct communications. I am not taking sides, just pruning the thread. Hope it all works out.
I moderate with a very light touch and try to delete or move as few posts as possible, and when I do, I am very transparent about the reasons.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Back to the original repair and problem FYI when they referred to the EDM the EDM is the complete unit that houses all the contactors. Two large ones three small ones plus all the wiring and mounting plate that's more than likely the cost.
When only one contact is bad we only replace the one bad contact not the whole EDM . Still the price you pad reallly was over the top but you wanted your car fixed and had to do what was needed.
As far as Alex Pop I'm not sure what was mentioned is true I spoke to him this week and matter of fact sent him a battery repair job . His also contracted with a company to make replacement lower control arm bushing which are now failing.

·
1,172 Posts
PowerSource: I have no information about Revero orders.

They have 8 deposits verified just as an FYI

Re your repair... the contactors cost maybe 100 bucks a piece and with the new 53x software they will be opening and closing more often for the "tender feature" and other currently unknown issues that cause the blinking ready light (related to the contactors unless its the park pawl)... Regardless would tell them to put you back on 520 unless there is some great reason to be on 53x. Have been very limited welding issues or contactor issues in general on 520 and previous. There could be a correlation of your issues to 53x assuming you are on that revision. To me the most stable is 510 but the main issue with that is the AC fan runs unless you turn it off prior to plugging in. All the other revisions haven't done much for me with regards to reliability although 520 IMO is better than 53x as it does not cause expensive issues. YMMV

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
During the Beverly Hills "Experience" event, Joost had the Karma engineers look at my vehicle. Joost told me two of the contactors were bad and he recommended doing the EDM replacement stating if two had failed, I could expect the others to fail in the near future.

When I took the vehicle to Sterling, they told me two of my lower control arms were failing and replaced them for a total cost of $3,400. Rusnak totally missed that. No surprise as they really are incompetent.

I wish I had know Alex Pop was still working on Karmas.

·
Registered
48 Posts
fyi I used Alex just last month and all went professionally and the work was done in a timely manner at a decent price. Dont know the history but my experience has been nothing but positive.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Was the $3k for just control arms or other work as well? Control arms are nothing special and that price is inflated
FYI the lower control arms retail for over $1000.00 each but Alex has made a repair kit that lets you replace just the bushings .

·
Registered
189 Posts
FYI the lower control arms retail for over $1000.00 each but Alex has made a repair kit that lets you replace just the bushings .
I have light wrenching (swapping control arms, suspensions components, break work, etc) on numerous cars over the years and even if someone paid full retail for parts (I dont think I ever have) does charging $1k (labor assumption: $95hr labor) for 10.5hrs of labor sound remotely reasonable?

If it takes a tech all day for just that he/she probably doesnt know what theyre doing.

Being a CSP what is the warranty book hours allocated per control arm?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I have light wrenching (swapping control arms, suspensions components, break work, etc) on numerous cars over the years and even if someone paid full retail for parts (I dont think I ever have) does charging $1k (labor assumption: $95hr labor) for 10.5hrs of labor sound remotely reasonable?

If it takes a tech all day for just that he/she probably doesnt know what theyre doing.

Being a CSP what is the warranty book hours allocated per control arm?
Your low on labor cost at a dealership i'm at $170. per hour which is considered low. Plus jobs arent figured on a pre hour labor it's based on the total cost of the job or book rate for the job.
Mechanics work flat rate and paid accordingly what that means if i charge $2000.00 parts and labor for a job and that converts to 10 hours if i get the job done in 2 hours you still pay the 10 hours and I get paid 10 hours based on my hourly salary.
I don't know of any dealership that pays a tech a straight salary I've been a tech for over 38 years and always was a flat rate tech.

Now Lamborghini doesn't use the flat rate system I have a salary.Back in the day I might only work physically 40 hours but booked 120 hours that is ver rare these days. So if a tech was making $25.00 an hour times 120 you get the idea

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your low on labor cost at a dealership i'm at $170. per hour which is considered low. Plus jobs arent figured on a pre hour labor it's based on the total cost of the job or book rate for the job.
Mechanics work flat rate and paid accordingly what that means if i charge $2000.00 parts and labor for a job and that converts to 10 hours if i get the job done in 2 hours you still pay the 10 hours and I get paid 10 hours based on my hourly salary.
you're right about compensation and I know the system all too well...but my question had nothing to do with that. My question was how long does it take to swap the parts? Reality and Allocated.

I suspect I can do it in <3.0hr being a hobbist at a slow liesure pace with beer. I have lifts and air tools in my home garage.

My local dealers are at $130-190hr and $75-95 Indie shop for rates. Oil changes and basic stuff not requireing complex diagnistics do not need to go to franchise dealers. A lot of the ferrari and specialty car guys swear that only a true branch tech touches their car even for the basics includes tires, fluids, etc...and they unfortunately pay way too much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts