Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course you can run without battery, but can you run the Fisker without gas? As you know the gas engine kicks in every few days for a few minutes or so to keep the juices flowing. So what happens if no gas is in the tank when this occurs?

Currently I am running on E

·
Registered
334 Posts
@grundoon: on Page 6.10 of the owners manual, it specifically states that you should not run the car out of gasoline. See attached snapshot of the warning from the owners manual.

Also, once you get the yellow warning light, I think the car sends the occasional warning sound about the gas being empty? If so, that alone would seemingly get annoying!

I'm sure @FiskerPhilly and @Harleyguy will have an opinion on this one too.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
I had that same engine in a Saturn Sky (I thought it was a great engine, btw). But, yes. It's fuel injected and not good to run it dry.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Its bad news. If GEN doesn't fire or misfires it will not try to restart. Car will then run off of battery only and will continue to run hv battery below minimum state of charge until it dies and message comes up "OUT OF ENERGY". By that point, you've done permanent damage to the hv battery.
My best advice...put gas in the thing :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. And it is only $30CAD to fill. Let's face it even if the Greatest American Super Hero didn't lose the instruction manual to the suit do you think he would bother reading the instructions anyways.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't recommend filling the tank for a few reasons.
1st, I don't know about Canada but in the USA most gas is now 15% ethanol which does not have a long shelf life. It's pretty nasty stuff when it just sits.

2nd, that's a lot of unneeded extra weight to be carrying around.

It's better to put in a few gallons every six months when you need it.

Just my 2cents worth.....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Gasoline in the USA is 10% ethanol not 15%.

Gasoline only weighs 6 pounds per gallon, which means that a full tank (10 gal) only weighs 60 pounds, or a half tank at 30 pounds. Not much. A passenger would probably weigh 2 or 3 times that much.

Keep gas in the tank for EPA burn off, if nothing else.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the correction Bert.
I should have stated that gasoline in the USA is "UP TO 15% Ethanol".

So, just out of curiosity, if I were to fill my tank and never drive in Sport mode how long would it take to use the gas in the tank? I think it would go bad before it was used.

Personally I like the fuel running through my lines and injectors to be as fresh as possible, so I don't fill up.

When I purchased my car it came with a full tank of gas. It took a year to use it and in the end I drove in Sport mode only, just to get rid of it so I could replace it with fresh fuel.

Can you educate me on EPA burn off? I have no idea what that is and Google isn't helping out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quick update - yesterday was my 1-year Karmaversary. I drove the car from CA to AZ on the evening of March 21st, 2014 and filled up the tank to full near the border of AZ. When I got to Phoenix that night, I had about half a tank of gas left. Just last week, I got to the yellow warning light for low fuel, and I've driven over 4000 miles since I got the car. So far, I've seen no issues with the old fuel being a problem. My engine does kick on occasionally (once a month?) when in Stealth mode.

I didn't use Stabil on that last fill-up but have often wondered if I should on my next fill-up. I know this topic was debated ad nauseam in the forums before I joined, and that several experts said in those threads that no fuel stabilizer is needed.

I will likely only put 2-3 gallons this time at most.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sta-Bil or a similar gas additive will prolong the "freshness" of gasoline up to a year. If you are not using the ICE, it will start by itself on occasion to burn off non-EPA conforming gases, i.e. less pollution.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks @Bert Yeman. I just added 3 gallons this morning but didn't include Sta-Bil. I guess I could add another couple gallons tomorrow and include the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil to cover the 5 gallons?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts