Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I like to say RTFM and I know I am victim to my own words. I also know many of you know WAY more than me, so I ask How do you turn the radio off?

I don't mean mute...OFF. I am guessing you can't on AM/FM.

I hit BT and just don't play anything I hear nothing and my phone won't be muted on BT, maybe I am mislead because of Brian G's(?) video Karma review where he says mute will cause the phone to NOT ring in the car. That might be an old BT issue fixed by updates. I haven't messed with BT calling a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
So I like to say RTFM and I know I am victim to my own words. I also know many of you know WAY more than me, so I ask How do you turn the radio off?

I don't mean mute...OFF. I am guessing you can't on AM/FM.
The only way to turn the radio off is to switch to an unused input, such as the AUX (direct input) option, which is typically unused. Other than that, you can mute it, but can't turn it off.

I hit BT and just don't play anything I hear nothing and my phone won't be muted on BT, maybe I am mislead because of Brian G's(?) video Karma review where he says mute will cause the phone to NOT ring in the car. That might be an old BT issue fixed by updates. I haven't messed with BT calling a lot.
The Karma does not have separate volume controls for Audio, Telephone, and Nav. Everything is controlled by the same volume control, which leads to some annoying results, such as the Nav voice yelling at you because it comes in at the same level as the Puccini aria you happen to be listening to at that moment.

The BT Speakerphone in the Karma is not one of its best features. That said, the least annoying sound quality can be obtained by lowering the volume on your phone as low as possible (you have to do this during the call) and then using the car's volume to control the speakers. This reduces (but does not eliminate) feedback and clicks during the phone call.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The only way to turn the radio off is to switch to an unused input, such as the AUX (direct input) option, which is typically unused. Other than that, you can mute it, but can't turn it off.

The Karma does not have separate volume controls for Audio, Telephone, and Nav. Everything is controlled by the same volume control, which leads to some annoying results, such as the Nav voice yelling at you because it comes in at the same level as the Puccini aria you happen to be listening to at that moment.

The BT Speakerphone in the Karma is not one of its best features. That said, the least annoying sound quality can be obtained by lowering the volume on your phone as low as possible (you have to do this during the call) and then using the car's volume to control the speakers. This reduces (but does not eliminate) feedback and clicks during the phone call.
BT works fine for me when I lower the volume as you have suggested. But is there any way to keep the Karma from defaulting to playing the music stored in my iPhone when it's connected to the USB port for charging? Sure, I can turn the volume down or shut the phone off, but then I can't use voice-activated GPS traffic functions or make or receive calls. Even if I pause the music, the Karma finds a way to keep playing it. Very annoying.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BT works fine for me when I lower the volume as you have suggested. But is there any way to keep the Karma from defaulting to playing the music stored in my iPhone when it's connected to the USB port for charging? Sure, I can turn the volume down or shut the phone off, but then I can't use voice-activated GPS traffic functions or make or receive calls. Even if I pause the music, the Karma finds a way to keep playing it. Very annoying.
That's something I saw too. Playing BT music get a call and answer it on BT the music still plays. UGH!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
That's something I saw too. Playing BT music get a call and answer it on BT the music still plays. UGH!
I have never experienced that. My BT audio always stops when I get or initiate a call. Do you have two different BT sources or do you use your phone for both streaming music and the calls? I think Ira was talking about the Karma restarting a paused BT source after you make or receive a call, which is annoying.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have never experienced that. My BT audio always stops when I get or initiate a call. Do you have two different BT sources or do you use your phone for both streaming music and the calls? I think Ira was talking about the Karma restarting a paused BT source after you make or receive a call, which is annoying.
I was talking about the USB charging connection, which is even more annoying.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Great idea. Thanks! I just bought this one on Amazon. Now my wife can charge her phone as well.

https://www.amazon.com/TopG-Smart-C...1471552268&sr=8-2&keywords=12v+to+usb+adapter

This is just another reason to love this forum!
This is a good solution, except that you will have to stream the music, and more importantly, you lose access to the Ipod interface on the infotainment system and could not select playlists or individual songs using the car's touch screen.

I guess there are no perfect solutions, just ones that are less annoying.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To clarify, streaming music over my phone still plays. BT mp3s on my phone stop. I stream music as I hate downloading songs and crap, I just stream music on jango and amazon and BT still plays when I am in a call. annoying!

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
To clarify, streaming music over my phone still plays. BT mp3s on my phone stop. I stream music as I hate downloading songs and crap, I just stream music on jango and amazon and BT still plays when I am in a call. annoying!
I will have to try this. I usually play content that is stored on my Ipod or phone (music, Podcasts, books, etc.) and have not experienced what you are describing with this type of material, either through the USB or BT, and the music stops playing when a call comes in or when I initiate a call and resumes when the call ends.

I do occasionally use a streaming app, such as Spotify, but I don't recall getting a call in that mode, so I can't be sure about that, although on the phone itself, when I use my BT headphones, the playback stops when a call comes in and I can use the headphone to talk, and when I hang up the playback resumes.

Will have to do an experiment to see how that works in the Karma.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you tried to listen through your stream through the Aux port, exclusively, and just use the bluetooth for calls?
I do not use Apple phones or pods. I use my phone which is LG v10, but I get the Samsung Active S7 today! I will see if Samsung BT is better. I have not tried Aux as I hate wires!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Having bluetooth music-audio stop and switch to bluetooth phone-audio is (supposed to be) a function of the phone itself, not handled on the car side. The general idea is that the phone should suspend-and-suppress audio when doing phone stuff, regardless of the output device: headphone jack, built in phone speakers, BT stack, whatever. That should hold true even if the phone output is going to a different port than the audio output.

·
Registered
859 Posts
No that charger is not good for dual as most phones today require 2amp to 2.2Amp to charge. That one looks like 2A and a 1A which the built in USB is 1A. You need a a dual USB 12V that has two 2.1A USB ports.
Just got it, works great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts